Pcp recommendation

samadams21

I’m looking to purchase a pcp air rifle. 

I have mainly been shooting shotguns and fac rifles but after seeing the range at a clay ground I’m now thinking of getting a air gun. 

I have around £400 as a budget - can I have some recommendations on what I should get for that price? 

Main use will be at the range but will do a bit of pest control also. 

thank you in advance 

If your gonna plink on a range as the main use  .I'd recommend a breakbarrel springer . In either caliber .

A pcp can get really boring very quickly as they are very accurate and just hit everything you aim at with just a little skill and input  .where the springer will challenge you and actually improve your shooting technique  for the cf..

I'd recommend a quality gun either a hw 98  / 95 / 99  or a bsa lightening  .i recently bought a smk xs20 which is really nice to shoot also . Put a  hawke 3-9x 40  scope on it  and enjoy the whole process .

I'd steer clear of the underleavers as they can be a bit of a pain to load sitting at a bench .

Oh just realised you said pcp above .

Well a gun with a high shot count will always be good saves filling up so often .

.22 cal uses less air . Maybe a bsa scorpion .

I back up on Air Arms and in particular the S200 range. Loading is not a problem if you buy one with the magazine conversion. You have ten shots and can but a second magine. In addition look for a Hawk Airmax scope with side parralax. Both may stretch your £400 but will be well worth the extra few quid.

Have fun.   WARNING AIR RIFLES ARE ADDICTIVE AND CONTAGIOUS

Edited by Walker570

Your first decision will be .22 or .177! The old saying ".177 for feather .22 for fur" still holds true. I know that most of the You Tube rat shooting videos show them using a .177 but at the same distance a well zeroed .22 will kill just as well AND can be used for through the shoulder shots and, as it is a .22, will give more shots per charge of air that will a .177. Also I have found that a .22 PCP doesn't as such benefit much from being regulated (having a device fitted to deliver a certain measured charge of air to each shot) whereas for best performance from a .177 having it regulated is a big benefit. It's your call. I like the older plastic stock BSA Scorpion T-10. 

• 3 weeks later...

Because ALL PCP's available today's are capable of incredible performance and consistency, with very little shooter input, then simply go for the one you like and fits your budget. 

This is the perfect thread to get recommendations for rifles that work for the individuals posting but in a specific situation. Non of that means it would suit your needs at all. 

Very lucky to be able to have such an easy choice. 

• 2 weeks later...