I would have liked to have shared this.

JDog

We arrived back from a day trip by 3pm. I had an hour in bed then I set off to the wood opposite my house with two naughty dogs to roost shoot. The wind was blowing 40mph.

I was in place by 4.20 and had the first shot soon after. The pigeons were numerous and tricky and I had to rein in some optimistic shooting. There were still plenty to shoot at.

Had I taken a companion he would have had just as many shots as I did such were the numbers. The dogs picked 20 pigeons. There will be more to find in the morning. 

Nice report JD- I bet those naughty dogs will be dreaming of pigeons tonight.

We pigeon shooters are lucky fellows to have such a variety of opportunities  to take, however 20 shot roost shooting in a good wind is great late afternoon  sport. 

Good luck with the pick up tomorrow- I hope Charlie hasn’t got there first.

9 hours ago, Morkin said:

Well done JD , I have never done that good roost shooting but I think you have to have a warm wood don't ya and one that ent shot to much.

Yes indeed- a warm wood is preferred by the pigeons, and one that is not overshot is preferred by us shooters.

I had a cracking roost wood ( before storm Arwen) and I shot it every second or third week.

Weather conditions also play a huge part.

Edited by the hitman

22 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

Great effort jdog 👏🏻 What is your success rate on finding downed birds the following day? I’ve seen people say a few times about picking the following day and have always been intrigued at the success rate 

I picked 2 and the Badgers had another two.

I have been watching the line into the wood for the last hour from the comfort of my bedroom. So far over 200 pigeons have gone into the wood. Last night it would have been 300.

2 hours ago, JDog said:

I picked 2 and the Badgers had another two.

I have been watching the line into the wood for the last hour from the comfort of my bedroom. So far over 200 pigeons have gone into the wood. Last night it would have been 300.

You seem to be spending a lot of daylight time in the bedroom Mr JDog , hopefully it is not a medical reason , or is it more of a private matter  ?:lol: