Putin announces 'military operation' in Ukraine.

Dave-G

14 minutes ago, Jim Neal said:

I know exactly what you mean and I was thinking along those lines. I can  fully imagine the massive extra amount of time it would take to herd people aboard at one end and then get them off at the other.

And that’s not even considering what the hell you’re going to do with them at the other end.  

Maybe they should hire in some of the recently redundant Ryanair and EasyJet staff who could expedite the process? They can turn round a 737 shipping boozed-up scousers back and forth from Tenerife in less time than an F1 pit stop!

I struggle to imagine that the current airlift efforts into Eastern Europe, maybe a dozen planes in the air at a time during day hours, is the maximum combined capacity of all the western countries currently active in supplying aid.

That’s my feeling. I know there’s a large chunk of reality getting in the way of that ideal scenario!

Maybe they could just get on with moving troops and weapons to where they are so badly needed.

The Refugees, if they can get over the Ukrainian border will be safe until places can be found for them.

No plane will be going in to Ukrainian airspace to drop in and pick them up.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

know exactly what you mean and I was thinking along those lines. I can  fully imagine the massive extra amount of time it would take to herd people aboard at one end and then get them off at the other.

And that’s not even considering what the hell you’re going to do with them at the other end.  

I probably read to many books and watch too many films, but think of the security risks, imagine someone getting aboard with a pistol or grenade??

11 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, the only thing I see stopping  Ukrainian refugees with family  in UK is the government's line on all the rules and regulation of applying for a Visa, just a thought, if they got a Polish passport being in the EU would that get them into UK ??

Its a lot better today we have just locked them out the door and left them in the cold. 

3 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I see that, from 50 to a few hundred visas so it's going to take a few months to do the the amount Boris stated, how many will stay in Poland ?

God help that 11 year old boy that has traveled alone with his passport. If he wants to come to UK we will probably ask him to go back and get a letter from his parents. 

It is truly shocking. Imagine if Poland Hungary or Slovakia adopted the same processes. This is little Britain narrow mindedness in action. Even the Russians will take more than the UK.

Edited by oowee

20 minutes ago, ditchman said:

see Mc Donalds are shutting in Russia..........huh back to beetroot soup........that'll bring em to their knees

It wouldn't make much difference to you or me , but it'll probably have 18yr olds rioting in the streets .

It would be interesting to know just how many have been absorbed into those countries closer to Poland, Germany, Denmark, Switzerland, Italy, Belgium, Holland,  France and their approach to handling refugees.  There are those out there who will to quickly use the situation to their own criminal ends so important we know who we are letting in.  In addition I have not sen evidence of Biden sending over transport and taking in these genuine refugees seeing he seems happy to let all and sundry in over their southern border.  Similarly Trudoff in Canada.  Four or five A380s woould shift a couple of thousand in a day.

1 hour ago, oowee said:

God help that 11 year old boy that has traveled alone with his passport. If he wants to come to UK we will probably ask him to go back and get a letter from his parents. 

It is truly shocking. Imagine if Poland Hungary or Slovakia adopted the same processes. This is little Britain narrow mindedness in action. Even the Russians will take more than the UK.

How many are you expecting to come to Britain? Where are they going to stay?

We're already full of illegal immigrants with more arriving every day,  and thats what's going to stop us taking more.

This highlights the need to get on top of illegal immigration so that in genuine cases like this help can be given.

I'm sure the figure I heard last was 1.5 million refugees have left the Ukraine?

If Russia and the Ukraine managed to sort this out quickly would the refugees return home or be allowed to stay?

I don't doubt I'll get flak for saying this, but 10,000 might not be a big deal spread around the country, 100,000 is going to make a difference.

2 hours ago, oowee said:

As Mice said, if it wasn't for the idiotic policy the UK has followed over the last 20 something years, we'd have some capacity to take huge numbers of these desperate people in, unfortunately we now don't, we're already filling hotels up as we've nowhere to house the illegal economic migrants already here. It's absolutely shamefull and I hope those responsible understand what they've now caused, but I won't hold my breath! 

11 minutes ago, Mice! said:

How many are you expecting to come to Britain? Where are they going to stay?

We're already full of illegal immigrants with more arriving every day,  and thats what's going to stop us taking more.

This highlights the need to get on top of illegal immigration so that in genuine cases like this help can be given.

I'm sure the figure I heard last was 1.5 million refugees have left the Ukraine?

If Russia and the Ukraine managed to sort this out quickly would the refugees return home or be allowed to stay?

I don't doubt I'll get flak for saying this, but 10,000 might not be a big deal spread around the country, 100,000 is going to make a difference.

What a very sad and selfish attitude. 

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

Like I said I expected flak, but how many do we take and where are they going to stay?

A local hotel closed near us last month,  no warning just bought out, all future weddings and bookings cancelled,  the news article said it was going to be housing illegal immigrants but there was loads of protests,  not sure what's happened now.

I imagine it would be full capacity being paid for by the government so a real money earner for someone.

The big difference is its all women and children leaving Ukraine,  I realise its been made law that the men have to stay, but a stark difference to what we normally see.

I genuinely hope everything gets sorted quickly,  but it could easily be years. 

58 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Like I said I expected flak, but how many do we take and where are they going to stay?

A local hotel closed near us last month,  no warning just bought out, all future weddings and bookings cancelled,  the news article said it was going to be housing illegal immigrants but there was loads of protests,  not sure what's happened now.

I imagine it would be full capacity being paid for by the government so a real money earner for someone.

The big difference is its all women and children leaving Ukraine,  I realise its been made law that the men have to stay, but a stark difference to what we normally see.

I genuinely hope everything gets sorted quickly,  but it could easily be years. 

It's hugely emotive, as you say we've got a steady stream of economic migrants risking their lives trying to get here already. The system has allowed this and now as a result, the Ukrainian refugees suffer...

7 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Maybe they could just get on with moving troops and weapons to where they are so badly needed.

The Refugees, if they can get over the Ukrainian border will be safe until places can be found for them.

No plane will be going in to Ukrainian airspace to drop in and pick them up.

Of course, you're absolutely right - what's being taken in shouldn't be slowed down, otherwise it may lead to avoidable loss of life.  I'm pondering whether the airlift effort could be increased to make extra capacity to evacuate.

I'm thinking of it from the other direction: if extra aircraft were sent over to evacuate people, they could take some goods with them on the way there, thus increasing the aid sent over!

I think it's pretty plain to see though that the UK government at least is not interested in opening the flood gates to refugees at this moment in time.  I think they're happy to let Poland and Slovenia deal with it for the time being.  Quite possibly the UK is more able to supply more hardware than Ukraine's nearest neighbours so each plays their strongest card I suppose.

Not sure if you've misunderstood me, I didn't mean the aircraft should fly in to Ukraine; the airfields they're currently using must only be within 30 miles or so of the border.

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

It's hugely emotive, as you say we've got a steady stream of economic migrants risking their lives trying to get here already. The system has allowed this and now as a result, the Ukrainian refugees suffer...

The only thing I can think of is the government taking over holiday camps, butlins and the like, which I've no idea if it could be done, otherwise where could thousands of people go?

21 minutes ago, Jim Neal said:

think it's pretty plain to see though that the UK government at least is not interested in opening the flood gates to refugees at this moment in time.  I think they're happy to let Poland and Slovenia deal with it for the time being.  Quite possibly the UK is more able to supply more hardware than Ukraine's nearest neighbours so each plays their strongest card I suppose.

That makes sense to me, keep sending aid and supplies. 

I'd go as far to say look at what money is being sent to countries around the world in aid and redirect it.

7 hours ago, Mice! said:

The only thing I can think of is the government taking over holiday camps, butlins and the like, which I've no idea if it could be done, otherwise where could thousands of people go?

Room for 1600 or so here:
https://www.northantslive.news/news/northamptonshire-news/inside-wellingboroughs-new-mega-prison-5471591

A nicer environment than Butlins and only cost £253 million so could build a few per year once the government stops paying for free covid tests.

Hello, I thought it was only Ukrainians with family here there giving visas to, but I read about sponsorship , I would gladly help if I was in a financial position to, still no contact with my friend in Kharkive, I just hope she is ok, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

10 hours ago, oowee said:

How is it a selfish attitude? I'm sure like me he'd like to take as many as we can look after, in fact I'd put no limit on the number, but there comes a point that reality won't allow that to happen. 

Hes stated a fact, there is now not enough capacity in the system to help as many as we should, or could if the system hadn't been abused for years. The blame for that lies squarely with those who have allowed that to happen. 

50 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

How is it a selfish attitude? I'm sure like me he'd like to take as many as we can look after, in fact I'd put no limit on the number, but there comes a point that reality won't allow that to happen. 

Hes stated a fact, there is now not enough capacity in the system to help as many as we should, or could if the system hadn't been abused for years. The blame for that lies squarely with those who have allowed that to happen. 

What reality would that be? There is plenty of capacity it's simply a matter of attitude. We need to show a small amount of the spirit shown in Ukraine. A fraction of the positive attitude shown in Poland. A modicum of the fighting spirit shown by our ancestors.

There is simply no capacity issue here except in the narrow minds of the selfish. Lets have can do rather than being worrying ninnies. 

Edited by oowee

9 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Not sure if you've misunderstood me, I didn't mean the aircraft should fly in to Ukraine; the airfields they're currently using must only be within 30 miles or so of the border.

I haven't misunderstood you at all, simply told you why it cannot happen.

Military equipment, troops and armaments are going in as close as is safe and practicable. To sit on the ground, waiting for refugees to be checked over and sent out to the aircraft is not going to happen, yet.

I have never seen so many tankers, fighters, intelligence gathering and transport planes in the air at one time. Europe is covered in military aircraft.

When the shooting stops, then is the time to move the refugees from the safe havens they have reached.

19 minutes ago, oowee said:

There is simply no capacity issue here except in the narrow minds of the selfish. Lets have can do rather than being worrying ninnies. 

as the girl struggles on a daily basis to house our OWN people needing assistance where is all this room? I see no condemnation from you WE are pouring arms on the fire to cause even MORE refugees so where is that