Putin announces 'military operation' in Ukraine.

Dave-G

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

Putin is just a monster . I'd give my life to see him slaughtered .

It'll take a long time before the true depravity of his actions are fully known , hopefully,  he'll be gone before he does much more damage.

Hello, let's hope so Mel 👍

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

Exactly what Zelenski is saying .. But he needs help, the Russian army far outways the Ukrainian, in numbers and weaponry. As they have said, of no more support I given Ukraine will fall. And I'd not expect Putin to stop at just Donbas.

Hello, it will be a very sad day if Ukraine has to surrender 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, ditchman said:

just heard...on da news ...that until 11 days ago the EU was selling weapons to Russia....and the majority of the sales came from Germany....who wont sell weapons to Ukraine

imspeechless..........😵

Speechless indeed. I'm curious if there is a list of what help specific EU countries are (or are not) giving/selling to Ukraine.

By what I see without actually looking for - it seems some are doing more on refugee intake and some are doing more on arms supplies, which seems to escape those biatching that UK isn't doing as well on rehoming than some other countries.

9 hours ago, ditchman said:

just heard...on da news ...that until 11 days ago the EU was selling weapons to Russia....and the majority of the sales came from Germany....who wont sell weapons to Ukraine

imspeechless..........😵

You've lead a very sheltered life, haven't you?   :rolleyes:

Read this............................

https://www.investigate-europe.eu/en/2022/eu-states-exported-weapons-to-russia/

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Link added.

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You've lead a very sheltered life, haven't you?   

Read this............................

https://www.investigate-europe.eu/en/2022/eu-states-exported-weapons-to-russia/

Blimey what a bombshell - most of us knew the EU broke its own rules to improve their lot while UK observed them but that's the first time I've seen specifics in writing. Little wonder it was so hard to get out.

47 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Blimey what a bombshell - most of us knew the EU broke its own rules to improve their lot while UK observed them but that's the first time I've seen specifics in writing. Little wonder it was so hard to get out.

very similar to when the french were selling exocet missiles to the argentinians......and after a lot of pressure from HMG they continued to sell missiles to the agentinians.....but were pressurised not to forward the "codes" for the flight systems...

i can still taste the sick in the back of my throat.....and Macron is an embodiment of all that...

14 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

The UK isn't squeaky clean on this front either, but don't let that get in the way of a good bit of EU bashing...

https://www.nationalworld.com/news/politics/uk-sell-weapons-russia-arms-exports-ukraine-crimea-3585359

Most of the time when the UK export licences were live , we were still in the EU , but.....

'The UK Export Control Joint Unit does not reveal the value of goods companies actually exported to Russia – just the value of goods that they were given permission to export, regardless of whether they actually followed through with it.'

1.4 million in helicopters , aircraft and drones ?
I dont reckon you get a great deal of them for that figure.

Edited by Rewulf

5 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

One of each maybe? Or a few parts...

More likely some parts.

The main thrust of the argument is this , most of the contracted sales were from before 2014, but when the embargo came in, the contracts could either be fulfilled, or breached, leaving the companies affected open to legal issues.

I would suppose that if the contract was for something innocuous like , helicopter blades, or fuel tanks, the government(s) would go ahead and grant the export licences, if it were for something altogether more deadly, like ammunition, or explosives, then quite rightly , questions should be asked.
But again, unless your government is going to compensate you for loss, and protect you legally , there is a precedent for completing the contract.

When this sorry tale reaches its conclusion, trade will resume to Russia, and that trade will include munitions again, its one of our biggest exports.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Most of the time when the UK export licences were live , we were still in the EU , but.....

'The UK Export Control Joint Unit does not reveal the value of goods companies actually exported to Russia – just the value of goods that they were given permission to export, regardless of whether they actually followed through with it.'

1.4 million in helicopters , aircraft and drones ?
I dont reckon you get a great deal of them for that figure.

My point was purely that we are not squeaky clean. 

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

My point was purely that we are not squeaky clean. 

Agreed , we never have been.

But like Ive always said, its all about the money.
Morals , rules , integrity, they all go out the window when it comes to the dosh, and if anyone is under any illusion that governments are somehow less swayed by it, then youve got it back to front.

I have a yard stick I measure these things by, the more they rattle on about how incorrupt , and truthful they are , the more they paint themselves as 'the good guys' , they are the ones to watch.
And when it comes to the premier cess pool of political ambitions and corruption, you have the US government, closely followed by the EU.

I see Putin has ceased any direct action short of cutting off the steel works. Now would you honestly want to be in one of those military vehicles surrounding those steel works?  Sitting ducks springs to mind.  I was astonished by his remark that he didn't want further loss of life.  The Russian people are starting to wake up to the reality just as they did at the end of the Afghan assault and that actually brought down the Soviet Union.  Putin is on a looser and he knows it but corner a mad dog and you can get bit if not careful.  We need to keep up supplies of anti tank weapons and anti air weapons and pick 'em off one at a time.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I see Putin has ceased any direct action short of cutting off the steel works. Now would you honestly want to be in one of those military vehicles surrounding those steel works?  Sitting ducks springs to mind.  I was astonished by his remark that he didn't want further loss of life.  The Russian people are starting to wake up to the reality just as they did at the end of the Afghan assault and that actually brought down the Soviet Union.  Putin is on a looser and he knows it but corner a mad dog and you can get bit if not careful.  We need to keep up supplies of anti tank weapons and anti air weapons and pick 'em off one at a time.

wouldnt surprise me if a fast moving heavily armed Ukraine fighting front....fought their way thro to the steelworks.:shoot:💥.........this is an ideal situation as there would be close quarters fighting thus not allowing the russians to carpet bomb the area for fear of demolishing their own troops.........🖕

General Sir simon Bovine -excrement.KCB VSO.CDM...view from the front....cant say anymore as im on a promise with Alex Crawford....ive been told she has had a wash..:yahoo:💖

Edited by ditchman

On 20/04/2022 at 11:55, ditchman said:

very similar to when the french were selling exocet missiles to the argentinians......and after a lot of pressure from HMG they continued to sell missiles to the agentinians.....but were pressurised not to forward the "codes" for the flight systems...

i can still taste the sick in the back of my throat.....and Macron is an embodiment of all that...

I have friend "now retired" who was an electronic wizard working for a UK company making electronics  for the for Exocet which was sold to France at that time.