Putin announces 'military operation' in Ukraine.

Dave-G

1 hour ago, Minky said:

Anyway. ...l on the six o'clock news they stated that fighting in the southeast was intense and that Ukrainian forces were sustaining heavy losses BUT that the Russians were  taking enormous losses.  So when are we going too get some front line action.  How much cannon fodder is Putin going to throw into the mix.? At what point does the Russian army run out of men, munitions and the will of the conscript army to keep getting slaughtered. ?  There's going to be a fair amount of scrap iron out there.  It's just like a re run of the Finnish winter war of 39..40 with the exception that this time round the west is supplying the vast amounts of munitions.   Lets hope that Ukraine doesn't run out of men to use them.

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/russia-troops-how-many-size-russian-army-nato-ukraine-putin-invasion-explained-1479833

Who do you want to have front line action, get yourself over! Cannon fodder are teenage Russian conscripts with their whole lives in front of them who don't want to be there and are losing their lives in their thousands.  I have a teenage son and Conscription to fight in this war would be horrific.  This war is a totally needless disaster for everyone involved and one person is accountable.  Let's hope his end is very near.

Edited by Weihrauch17

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

That link is to a list of stuff that .... on paper the Russians have available, BUT I  saw a different version which paints a completely different picture.  Half of that hardware is either NBG or obsolete and the red army is a very young army of conscripts.   They do two years service which isn't long enough to train competent troops.  The conditions are so bad that hardly any sign up for more years.  The structure is very different to western army such as here where there are many long serving nco's.  This is indicated by the large amount of high rank officers that have been killed near the front trying to drive the conscript army forward. The Russians just seem to have the idea of a sort of mass blitzkrieg mentality.  It didn't work on the road to Kviv up against modern western arms and it probably won't work in the current battle. Unless the Ukrainian forces get overrun.  StilI the news will get out in due course.

3 minutes ago, Minky said:

That link is to a list of stuff that .... on paper the Russians have available, BUT I  saw a different version which paints a completely different picture.  Half of that hardware is either NBG or obsolete and the red army is a very young army of conscripts.   They do two years service which isn't long enough to train competent troops.  The conditions are so bad that hardly any sign up for more years.  The structure is very different to western army such as here where there are many long serving nco's.  This is indicated by the large amount of high rank officers that have been killed near the front trying to drive the conscript army forward. The Russians just seem to have the idea of a sort of mass blitzkrieg mentality.  It didn't work on the road to Kviv up against modern western arms and it probably won't work in the current battle. Unless the Ukrainian forces get overrun.  StilI the news will get out in due course.

Yes it will, not sure when it ends how the reconstruction begins.  Where do you start!

5 hours ago, Dougy said:

Hi Dave, 

with regards to PW member's being delicate or unable to relate with death I personally dont see why the need to inspect corpse shown on TV images for delectation to cure your curiosity. 

Maybe you'd be more satisfied to have the real close up images of smashed limbs and stench of ruptured intestines from shrapnel or gunshot wounds. 

Or maybe its just a huge film set set up by Walt Disney.  

Point taken Doug but it wasn't an inspection for delectation. How would you decide if the image described below is true or fake? It was the only way I could think of determining the likelyhood of it being fake.

I'm not going to post up the image I saw but it was a fat civilian dressed bloke bent over on his side wearing very clean cream trousers with his rear end bent towards the camera in plain view: too clean in my opinion but the whole scene with other bodies further away looked staged to me.

I'm sorry to have upset some people who are too precious to use visual clues about fake news or otherwise.

I was disappointed to see on last nights news that a missile had missed a military factory across the road from a destroyed apartment block, and I have also seen in the past images of Ukrainian tanks destroyed outside apartment blocks.

That sounds like Ukraine is using human shielding to me.

6 hours ago, Scully said:

This. The fact they’re dead should be enough. 
In my experience dead people do not as a rule empty themselves, not even if that death is traumatic unless pressure by whatever cause, causes it. 

That's my point - the alleged dead did'nt look dead. just because they were laying on a road in the very same layout that those anti tank iron spikes are staggered to cause vehicles to weave along doesn't mean they were dead.

Lets not forget that I've been cautioned on here about believing fake news - seems I shouldn't question news stories now!

Edited by Dave-G

7 hours ago, Dave-G said:

I was disappointed to see on last nights news that a missile had missed a military factory across the road from a destroyed apartment block, and I have also seen in the past images of Ukrainian tanks destroyed outside apartment blocks.

That sounds like Ukraine is using human shielding to me.

So where should the unkrainian army have facilities? You do realise that if we were hit in this country that bases are next to civilian homes. If the homes got hit here would that be the UK using human shields?? Think about what you type maybe.... War will always have a civilian cost. And Russia if you look at Mariupol are not targeting military units, they are hitting fire and seeing what they hit. Or is that fake news when they show scenes from that city because no one carp'd themselves when the missiles struck.

2 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

So where should the unkrainian army have facilities? You do realise that if we were hit in this country that bases are next to civilian homes. If the homes got hit here would that be the UK using human shields?? Think about what you type maybe.... War will always have a civilian cost. And Russia if you look at Mariupol are not targeting military units, they are hitting fire and seeing what they hit. Or is that fake news when they show scenes from that city because no one carp'd themselves when the missiles struck.

Oh I thought about it and felt with the huge size of Ukraine they could site military, fuel, and power stations etc, typical potential targets away from residential streets.

I have to concede though that some of our naval dockyards have residents nearby - dunno about army barracks. I can't agree that makes it right though.

Edited by Dave-G

15 hours ago, Dave-G said:

That's my point - the alleged dead did'nt look dead. just because they were laying on a road in the very same layout that those anti tank iron spikes are staggered to cause vehicles to weave along doesn't mean they were dead.

Lets not forget that I've been cautioned on here about believing fake news - seems I shouldn't question news stories now!

Maybe you’ll just have to add it to your catalogue of conspiracy theories? 🤷‍♂️
I can’t say I’ve seen any footage of dead bodies at all, but admittedly I haven’t been looking. 

Hello, Do you think Putin will try and send his KGB to try and cause Sabotage in countries that are helping Ukraine ??

21 hours ago, ditchman said:

got the end of a throw away remark...something along the lines that the russians are looting grain from Ukraine now

reminicant of what stalin did..........

dont know if someone can confirm this............

Hello, I see this on the news to Simon, apparently it's 100s of tons of wheat maybe 1000s stolen from what maybe the Donbass area, 

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Do you think Putin will try and send his KGB to try and cause Sabotage in countries that are helping Ukraine ??

Hello, I see this on the news to Simon, apparently it's 100s of tons of wheat maybe 1000s stolen from what maybe the Donbass area, 

the report that i have seen it is over a million tonnes now :w00t:

6 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

I recon he's got someone on PW already LOL 

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, just as a side note, I see the EU leaders speech, Ban Russian oil buy the end of 2022, how many countries in the EU will boycott this and worst of all by the end of year there will be no Ukraine as we know it of today, any thought PW?

Two countries have been given extra time to find solutions.

Brussels has proposed a phased-in ban on imports of all Russian oil as EU member states try to agree a sixth package of penalties against Moscow for its invasion in Ukraine.

The ban will cover all Russian oil, seaborne and pipeline, crude and refined, European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen said on Wednesday. She vowed to phase out the supplies in an “orderly fashion”, hitting crude oil within six months and refined products by the end of the year.

The commission is also proposing that Sberbank, Russia’s largest bank, be disconnected from the Swift international banking payment system, von der Leyen told the European Parliament. Two other banks, Credit Bank of Moscow and Russian Agricultural Bank, will be cut from Swift, according to draft proposals seen by the Financial Times.

Hungary and Slovakia are particularly reliant on Russian oil and will get until the end of 2023 to comply with the import ban, according to the draft of the commission’s plans.

The measures, which will need to win the backing of all 27 member states, mark the latest escalation in western sanctions intended to undermine the Kremlin’s ability to wage war on Ukraine by hitting the mainstays of the Russian economy.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Brussels has proposed a phased-in ban on imports of all Russian oil as EU member states try to agree a sixth package of penalties against Moscow for its invasion in Ukraine.

The ban will cover all Russian oil, seaborne and pipeline, crude and refined, European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen said on Wednesday. She vowed to phase out the supplies in an “orderly fashion”, hitting crude oil within six months and refined products by the end of the year.

The commission is also proposing that Sberbank, Russia’s largest bank, be disconnected from the Swift international banking payment system, von der Leyen told the European Parliament. Two other banks, Credit Bank of Moscow and Russian Agricultural Bank, will be cut from Swift, according to draft proposals seen by the Financial Times.

Hungary and Slovakia are particularly reliant on Russian oil and will get until the end of 2023 to comply with the import ban, according to the draft of the commission’s plans.

The measures, which will need to win the backing of all 27 member states, mark the latest escalation in western sanctions intended to undermine the Kremlin’s ability to wage war on Ukraine by hitting the mainstays of the Russian economy.

Indeed. The EU imposes that member states such as Hungary and Slovakia comply, then if Putin states he won’t supply them if the EU refuses to buy his oil and gas, possibly forcing the remaining EU members to sub Hungary and Slovakia or risk them allying with Russia for the sake of their economy? Interesting times ahead perhaps. 
I doubt the Swiss will ever reverse their doctrine of neutrality; they will take money from anyone as they did with the Jews and Germans during WW2. The Swiss put money before anything else. 
The only way this is going to end is with the assassination of Putin, and whose going to do that? 

23 minutes ago, Scully said:

Indeed. The EU imposes that member states such as Hungary and Slovakia comply, then if Putin states he won’t supply them if the EU refuses to buy his oil and gas, possibly forcing the remaining EU members to sub Hungary and Slovakia or risk them allying with Russia for the sake of their economy? Interesting times ahead perhaps. 
I doubt the Swiss will ever reverse their doctrine of neutrality; they will take money from anyone as they did with the Jews and Germans during WW2. The Swiss put money before anything else. 
The only way this is going to end is with the assassination of Putin, and whose going to do that? 

Hello, I hope it's one of his own citizens when they finally realise Putin's army has murdered 1000s of Ukraine citizen , men, woman, and children and destroyed those still there in mind body and soul let alone the destruction of 10s of 1000s of buildings and homes,