Putin announces 'military operation' in Ukraine.

Dave-G

Just seen that the Germans are going to chop Nordstream2 in their waters and re-divert the pipeline to get gas from non-Russian sources. If this actually happens (and I don’t know how long it will take to do) then it’s a big move. 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Mungler said:

Just seen that the Germans are going to chop Nordstream2 in their waters and re-divert the pipeline to get gas from non-Russian sources. If this actually happens (and I don’t know how long it will take to do) then it’s a big move. 

Wow they better be quick. Recession is just around the corner with the gas cuts from Russia. 

19 hours ago, Mungler said:

Besides Norway, who else in the Baltic has gas in sufficient quantities? Does Norway have enough? 

It sounds more like a bluff, this pipeline has taken years to build, and a new one would take years more, which Germany doesn't have without Russian gas, because as soon as they start building the new one, that Russian gas will stop. 

7 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Besides Norway, who else in the Baltic has gas in sufficient quantities? Does Norway have enough? 

It sounds more like a bluff, this pipeline has taken years to build, and a new one would take years more, which Germany doesn't have without Russian gas, because as soon as they start building the new one, that Russian gas will stop. 

The UK imports 60% of its gas (95% of which is Norwegian) and if that pipeline is chopped, it will be diverted to Norway and the UK will the not just be fffed, it will be proper fffd as we will be competing directly for the same gas with German industry!

Edited by Stonepark

16 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

The UK imports 60% of its gas (95% of which is Norwegian) and if that pipeline is chopped, it will be diverted to Norway and the UK will the not just be fffed, it will be proper fffd as we will be competing directly for the same gas with German industry!

I'm sure you're correct, the question is, if Norway has sufficient gas to feed itself and Germany, why does Germany buy so much Russian gas? 

The answer is cost, and for the same reason, we are not utilising our own North Sea gas, its just too expensive to extract {at the moment} 

Hello, Putin's just made another brutal attack on a Ukraine city shopping centre killing and maiming innocent civilians , The G 7 loons bleating War Crimes, War Crimes , now NATO is ramping up its armed forces, 300,000 , how will that help Kharkiv , a city now lost and looking like a Hollywood blockbuster Apocalypse war movie, not one building has escaped the bombs, a Ghost city on a large scale , 1000s of citizen have left and estimated 100s dead under the rubble, I now have a Theory , Putin is now seen as a Hero to the Russian people, yet in many eyes a clone of Hitler , is it possible the he is dieing and wants to go out in the glory of the old Soviet Union ?

23 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Putin's just made another brutal attack on a Ukraine city shopping centre killing and maiming innocent civilians , The G 7 loons bleating War Crimes, War Crimes , now NATO is ramping up its armed forces, 300,000 , how will that help Kharkiv , a city now lost and looking like a Hollywood blockbuster Apocalypse war movie, not one building has escaped the bombs, a Ghost city on a large scale , 1000s of citizen have left and estimated 100s dead under the rubble, I now have a Theory , Putin is now seen as a Hero to the Russian people, yet in many eyes a clone of Hitler , is it possible the he is dieing and wants to go out in the glory of the old Soviet Union ?

Yeah, it’s war I’m afraid.

Politicians babbling on about war crimes is ridiculous in my opinion, as if Putin is going to take a jot of notice. He’s a dictatorial gangster and couldn’t care less what anyone else thinks. 

34 minutes ago, Scully said:

Yeah, it’s war I’m afraid.

Politicians babbling on about war crimes is ridiculous in my opinion, as if Putin is going to take a jot of notice. He’s a dictatorial gangster and couldn’t care less what anyone else thinks. 

Your right I just hope one day he is traded as reparations. 

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

there is alot of talk about that ..........especially on u-tube...and judging by what ive seen on u-tube its more than likely wishful thinking.....

we now have hugh ranking military officers saying that putin going into ukraine is very like germany going into poland and that our armed forces must be prepared to fight in europe.putins actions have so far impacted on most of the world and will only get worse if as some say this could go on for years it has to be asked how long before ww3 starts.from where i sit it seems the only option to get peace and stability in the world.

21 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

we now have hugh ranking military officers saying that putin going into ukraine is very like germany going into poland and that our armed forces must be prepared to fight in europe.putins actions have so far impacted on most of the world and will only get worse if as some say this could go on for years it has to be asked how long before ww3 starts.from where i sit it seems the only option to get peace and stability in the world.

Well yea, maybe we had the Covid de-population all for nothing? :-)

Edit: sorry momentary attack of flippancy.

Another edit: He's new in and trying to make a case for better and urgent funding... with good reason I reckon.

Edited by Dave-G

13 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

it has to be asked how long before ww3 starts.from where i sit it seems the only option to get peace and stability in the world

Get peace and stability from a world war, with possible nuclear exchanges?! 

How much peace and stability did the last World War bring? 

It's a good job USA didn't get complacent with the peace in Europe.

I can't help but wonder how long Russia has been preparing to exploit Europe relaxing defence spending thinking all was relatively well in the world.

19 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Get peace and stability from a world war, with possible nuclear exchanges?! 

How much peace and stability did the last World War bring? 

70 years in europe.but how long is putin and gang going to be allowed free rein and bow many innocents will he be allowed to murder.then of course therd is the famines it will cause as food will not get out of ukraine.and the worlds economy already suffering will be totally destroyed.ukraine today finland and sweden next then no doubt he may turn on some of his smaller so called friends. if he gets what he wants then the next likely entertainment will be china and korea so the west can sit back and watch.but of course like they said he would not attack ukraine it was just a show of military might well its turned into quite a show.

33 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

70 years in europe.

You are joking.? 

Cold War, Soviet takeovers of eastern Europe, the world and particularly Europe facing nuclear destruction for decades, break up of Yugoslavia. 

In the wider world, we were involved with Korea within 5 years, then Suez and Cyprus, the US? Where do I start? 

War doesn't bring peace, it brings more war, eventually. 

Especially when the fires of conflict are being fed by superpowers. 

43 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

then of course therd is the famines it will cause as food will not get out of ukraine.

North America produces enough grain to pick up on any shortfall, and if the US and Co were to redirect some of that weapons money into food, no one would starve. 

46 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

the worlds economy already suffering will be totally destroyed.

The world's economic woes have nothing to do with the Ukraine war. 

Well the easy way out of this for everyone is for Putin to put the tanks in reverse and leave the Ukraine. But ah no, that simple, easy and fast option isn’t on the table for the fans of Russia Today. But it is that easy, right? Ah but there’s then no blame to put at the door of the West or NATO etc etc. 

In other news, I hear that RT are saying that the shopping centre was taken out by a rogue / stray Ukrainian missile and this is all western propaganda; takes me back to the ‘baby food factory’ days 😆

Not to worry, remember you heard it on here first that there was to be a Russian total victory inside of a month with a total collapse of Ukrainian forces and that was a good few weeks ago now 😆

1 hour ago, Mungler said:

Well the easy way out of this for everyone is for Putin to put the tanks in reverse and leave the Ukraine. But ah no, that simple, easy and fast option isn’t on the table for the fans of Russia Today. But it is that easy, right? Ah but there’s then no blame to put at the door of the West or NATO etc etc. 

I don't see where you get your ideas from, it would be the simple solution,  except Putin isn't about to do it, why would he?

1 hour ago, Mungler said:

Not to worry, remember you heard it on here first that there was to be a Russian total victory inside of a month with a total collapse of Ukrainian forces and that was a good few weeks ago now 😆

It probably would have been if the Ukraine weren't being supplied,  but like I've said before it's prolonging the war and trashing the Ukraine.

I still don't think anyone on here wants anything other than the conflict to be over, but it's clearly not going to happen.

It probably would have been if the Ukraine weren't being supplied,  but like I've said before it's prolonging the war and trashing the Ukraine.

Yes countries having weapons to fight a invader, would / could prolong a war. Maybe countries should give up their weapons for defence, and then anyone invading their country could get it over with quickly  :hmm: 

Edited by ordnance

6 minutes ago, ordnance said:

Yes countries having weapons to fight a invader, would / could prolong a war. Maybe countries should give up their weapons for defence, and then anyone invading their country could get it over with quickly  :hmm: 

Did they have weapons?

Why are we and others sending weapons then :hmm:

Edited by Newbie to this

29 minutes ago, ordnance said:

No, countries should have things in place, or join the likes of NATO and pay there way.

Europe, UK and USA are supplying weapons so the Ukraine can fight a war they'll never win, even if Putin pulled his forces out tomorrow they've still lost, look at the damage that's been done and the numbers of people who have been displaced.

Only Putin is likely to stop where he is having taken more territory,  I don't see him pulling back.

30 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Did they have weapons?

Why are we and others sending weapons then :hmm:

Yes they did have weapons, and as any country under attack would they are looking more. The UK had a army and weapons during WW2 but needed and got more.