Putin announces 'military operation' in Ukraine.

Dave-G

3 hours ago, Penelope said:

The Ukrainians are condcting what they are calling the Úkrainian Safari; civilians are taking down all of the roads, so the Russian forces cannot use them to find there way around. 

From a Ukrainian work colleague.

I think it will take more than removing the road signs to slow down the Russians,  while I get that the country is big, the Russians must have maps and compasses never mind GPS etc

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Interesting to see one of our reconnaissance assets is loitering down there looking over the border at Kherson.

Can it 'see' that far , Khersons about 200 miles away ?

3 minutes ago, oowee said:

Why has Ukraine not yet destroyed the pipelines across its land?

Probably cut everyone in Ukraines gas at the same time ?

Pretty cold over there still.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Interesting to see one of our reconnaissance assets is loitering down there looking over the border at Kherson.

The purple aircraft bottom right next to the helicopter.

IMG_20220303_181343a.jpg

Or this one, FL530 Global Hawk drone 

4B2C1084-036C-4726-A816-5640854E3961.jpeg

We operate to Krakow and Warsaw so most of us are keeping an eye out for what’s ‘around’.

Rather interesting to see the BBC News programme showing a Russian Ministry of Defence spokesman detailing the damage caused to the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Station in Enerhodar, Ukraine and blaming it on Ukrainian sabotage!

Mis information at its best.

I take my hat off to the Ukrainian people, if what I've heard is correct, the vast majority of refugees coming out of there are women and children and there is a stream of cars with men in them going the other way, returning to fight after dropping their partners and children off. 

Without assistance it is unfortunately a fight they will likely ultimately loose. I do feel at this point nato should push in from the west and hold any uninvaded areas, the Ukrainians have proved they deserve our help. 

5 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Without assistance it is unfortunately a fight they will likely ultimately loose. I do feel at this point nato should push in from the west and hold any uninvaded areas, the Ukrainians have proved they deserve our help. 

And officially start the Third World War?

7 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I take my hat off to the Ukrainian people, if what I've heard is correct, the vast majority of refugees coming out of there are women and children and there is a stream of cars with men in them going the other way, returning to fight after dropping their partners and children off. 

Well said on the Ukrainian people.

Nearly everybody seems to have written them off, even last week Andrew Neil said that Ukraine was already lost. A week in the Russian Army control one major city, every day that passes where Ukraine is not lost is a political win for them.

Whilst it seems inevitable that, without external intervention, they cannot ultimately win militarily but I don't see how the end game results in a real win for Putin. Each day that Ukraine stands is another day of hope and opportunity that something really bad happens to Putin from within (or by Mother Nature).

On the topic of NATO pushing in from the west, I guess it's less of an escalation than implementing a no fly zone but I get the impression NATO has clearly set their / our stall out on this point?

To be honest, hope is all the Ukraine has.

At the outset, I thought that Russia would overcome them, but with less resistance. Nothing has changed - just a rising death toll, plus the demolition of cities.

A sad day for the civilised world.

The end game for Putin is that he gains territory with vast wealth. To a tyrant like him - it's a no-brainer. 

10 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Whilst it seems inevitable that, without external intervention, they cannot ultimately win militarily but I don't see how the end game results in a real win for Putin

Looks like he'll control part of the Ukraine, control access to the Black Sea, and have given the finger to the West again. 

He clearly has a number of primary motives. 

Ultimately to reinstate the USSR

In the short term they probably include. 

Reinstate the water supply to the bit of Ukraine already annexed. 

Control the flat plains leading to Russia, as that is a strategic weak point, if they were ever invaded. 

22 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Well said on the Ukrainian people.

Nearly everybody seems to have written them off, even last week Andrew Neil said that Ukraine was already lost. A week in the Russian Army control one major city, every day that passes where Ukraine is not lost is a political win for them.

Whilst it seems inevitable that, without external intervention, they cannot ultimately win militarily but I don't see how the end game results in a real win for Putin. Each day that Ukraine stands is another day of hope and opportunity that something really bad happens to Putin from within (or by Mother Nature).

On the topic of NATO pushing in from the west, I guess it's less of an escalation than implementing a no fly zone but I get the impression NATO has clearly set their / our stall out on this point?

Absolutely agree with you there. 

Including NATO setting their stall out. They obviously don't want to ignite ww3 or be seen to inflame anything which would suit Putins narrative. I just feel the Ukrainian people have shown bravery and willingness to fight and we should help, I know how I would feel if I was them. 

12 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I just feel the Ukrainian people have shown bravery and willingness to fight and we should help, I know how I would feel if I was them.

I agree and this is part of the frustration, if Putin pushes into NATO territory then we have no choice but to act in which case we might as well have done so initially.

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

To be honest, hope is all the Ukraine has.

At the outset, I thought that Russia would overcome them, but with less resistance. Nothing has changed - just a rising death toll, plus the demolition of cities.

A sad day for the civilised world.

The end game for Putin is that he gains territory with vast wealth. To a tyrant like him - it's a no-brainer. 

I have a little more faith ....

Putin has very little support, and his resources are enough to overcome Ukraine, but not a lot else in the short term. We know several powerful people in Russia are distancing themselves from the action, and global isolation is another outcome I don't believe he was bargaining on. The true horror of what he's doing will be difficult to keep hidden in today's world of mobile phones.

Completely agree on the rising death toll, demolition, and how sad it is for the civilised world.

1330256642_Screenshot_20220304-122924_SamsungInternet.jpg.cb063ec60922d567f0975058181aa5e9.jpg

When you look at this map,  it's hard to see them not taking everything East of the river Dnipro, it's alot of territory to give but you would hope the bridges are ready to blow, but it's an awfulawfully long line to defend.

On 02/03/2022 at 12:36, Rewulf said:

The EU doesnt have any planes 

It probably thinks it has its own air force and everything, but no , it has pens, laptops , a 10 billion euro admin budget , and about as much tactical knowledge as my cat.

And NATO isnt sending any planes either, its called propaganda.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2022/03/01/no-eu-countries-arent-sending-fighter-jets-to-ukraine/

DON'T BE CRUEL TO YOUR CAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has far more intelligence and tactical ability than any of the leeches in Brussels.

They all live in cloud cookoo land and Macron is only sticking his head above the parapet because imminent election.

I forget which US President but back in the sixties France dropped out of NATO and ordered that all US troops bewithdrawn from French soil... a quick repost from the then US President asked if that included all of those lying under French soil.    My mother had a saying for men like Macron...."All mouth and trousers"...fits.

8 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Without assistance it is unfortunately a fight they will likely ultimately loose. I do feel at this point nato should push in from the west and hold any uninvaded areas, the Ukrainians have proved they deserve our help. 

All that would is escalate the fighting and increase the death and destruction, on all sides.