Putin announces 'military operation' in Ukraine.

Dave-G

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Indeed. The EU imposes that member states such as Hungary and Slovakia comply, then if Putin states he won’t supply them if the EU refuses to buy his oil and gas, possibly forcing the remaining EU members to sub Hungary and Slovakia or risk them allying with Russia for the sake of their economy? Interesting times ahead perhaps. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia_in_the_European_energy_sector

Its worth having a read of that first.
The US/NATO has always been averse to anyone in Europe, (even while it was the USSR) buying oil or gas products from Russia.
The reason being, that it was a bad idea to become reliant upon such a regime, no matter what regime it was .
The cynic in me, thinks that the US would rather oil and gas be purchased from itself , or its Saudi/UAE/Iraqi 'friends' as a bigger reason.
So why did the the EU end up becoming so reliant upon Russian gas , much to the dismay of the Yanks ?

Price for one , Russian gas is cheaper.
Availability, American gas needs to shipped in , and the few pipelines that come from N.Africa , and the M.East , cannot supply the quantities needed.
And they STILL cant.
So the only way that the EU can stop using Russian fossil fuels , is by crippling itself.
The US will be delighted by this, it removes a huge part of Russias income, removes a competitor that was cheapening gas and oil  prices, makes its own products more profitable , and weakens another competitor , the EU itself= result.

Be prepared for , on top of the already crippling price hikes, energy and fuels going up so much , we wont need Greta to 'save' us , we simply wont be able to afford to use fossil fuels.
And it will be nothing to do with dwindling supplies, it will all be about market control.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

The only way this is going to end is with the assassination of Putin, and whose going to do that? 

What makes you think thats the end , if putin gets taken out, there could be something far worse waiting in the wings ?

45 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I hope it's one of his own citizens when they finally realise Putin's army has murdered 1000s of Ukraine citizen , men, woman, and children and destroyed those still there in mind body and soul let alone the destruction of 10s of 1000s of buildings and homes, 

Not the first time an invading army has butchered the civilian population , we ourselves can go back into very recent history to find a few 'murders'
Be assured that no one will stand trial for ours, theirs, or any in the future.
Wars tend to give out the 'get out of jail free' card to indiscriminate killing.
Its not right, but its none the less true.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Rewulf said:

What makes you think thats the end , if putin gets taken out, there could be something far worse waiting in the wings ?

You could well be right, but I think that if there were ‘something far worse waiting in the wings’ a move would have been made by now. 

Hello, they have just mentioned the huge death toll in the bombed theatre , more bleating on war crimes and yet the whole world watches while Putin still sending more and more rockets with more destruction and death yet still no country is prepared to help the Ukraine's , as a Ukraine solder said it's not only our war ?? 

54 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, they have just mentioned the huge death toll in the bombed theatre , more bleating on war crimes and yet the whole world watches while Putin still sending more and more rockets with more destruction and death yet still no country is prepared to help the Ukraine's , as a Ukraine solder said it's not only our war ?? 

Many countries are helping. Next question is how much ammo does Russia have, how fast can it make stuff? There was a question yesterday asking if the US has weakened its own reserves supplying Ukraine.  

Anyone see the video of the wounded Russian soldiers trying to escape attack in a stolen car, only to have a bomb dropped through the sun roof by a Ukraine drone? 

16 hours ago, Scully said:

You could well be right, but I think that if there were ‘something far worse waiting in the wings’ a move would have been made by now. 

The problem is , when regime change is bought about , either from within or without, many unpredictable events can occur.

'When the chickens head is cut off, which way will it run ?'

Maybe those that wait in the wings, are not strong enough to make their move without certain obstacles removed ?
Putin is a strong leader, he has a powerful inner circle, do you not think he has a contingency plan for who succeeds him ?
He would be very foolish if he didnt.
But once he is gone , all those plans could end up thrown out the window, as everyone with an interest makes their play.

The West would very much like to blame the whole debacle on Putin alone, but that is a ridiculous argument. His word alone could not mobilise such an operation.
Russian policy is Russian policy, not Putin policy.

To think that all this will go away if Putin is removed , is a complete fallacy.

The more likely scenario for an assassination or removal , would be chaos, where those unpredictable events could spiral out of control.
We only need to look at recent history to see how regime change can cause untold suffering.

23 minutes ago, oowee said:

Many countries are helping. Next question is how much ammo does Russia have, how fast can it make stuff? There was a question yesterday asking if the US has weakened its own reserves supplying Ukraine.  

That depends on how prepared they were for this war, doesnt it ?

Has there not been an ammo shortage for some time now?

Clare Daly puts it all very succinctly .

4 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Russian sympathiser on the Putin payroll. 

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

The problem is , when regime change is bought about , either from within or without, many unpredictable events can occur.

'When the chickens head is cut off, which way will it run ?'

Maybe those that wait in the wings, are not strong enough to make their move without certain obstacles removed ?
Putin is a strong leader, he has a powerful inner circle, do you not think he has a contingency plan for who succeeds him ?
He would be very foolish if he didnt.
But once he is gone , all those plans could end up thrown out the window, as everyone with an interest makes their play.

The West would very much like to blame the whole debacle on Putin alone, but that is a ridiculous argument. His word alone could not mobilise such an operation.
Russian policy is Russian policy, not Putin policy.

To think that all this will go away if Putin is removed , is a complete fallacy.

The more likely scenario for an assassination or removal , would be chaos, where those unpredictable events could spiral out of control.
We only need to look at recent history to see how regime change can cause untold suffering.

No, I don’t think Putin does have a contingency plan. He has a massive ego and as such I seriously doubt he believes anyone but him could do the job. Hitler had no contingency plan, nor Stalin nor Mussolini, nor Hussein nor or Gaddafi, and neither has Putin in my opinion. 
He isn’t a politician doing what’s right for his country and it’s people, he’s a gangster/dictator. He believes in the might of his country but doesn’t believe in freedom of choice or democracy and as such won’t tolerate any criticism. He has no one groomed for the job, the very idea to his massive ego would be hilarious. 

48 minutes ago, Scully said:

No, I don’t think Putin does have a contingency plan. He has a massive ego and as such I seriously doubt he believes anyone but him could do the job. Hitler had no contingency plan, nor Stalin nor Mussolini, nor Hussein nor or Gaddafi, and neither has Putin in my opinion. 
He isn’t a politician doing what’s right for his country and it’s people, he’s a gangster/dictator. He believes in the might of his country but doesn’t believe in freedom of choice or democracy and as such won’t tolerate any criticism. He has no one groomed for the job, the very idea to his massive ego would be hilarious. 

I'd tend to agree.

There was an article last week suggesting that the Chechen Leader Ramzan Kadyrov is waiting in the wings and laying the foundations to ascend if Putin is removed.

In the short term I'd really love to see the Ukrainians urinate on whatever Putin has planned for May 9th...

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hmm, bad choice of words there: the west is giving absolutely massive help to Ukraine. I very much doubt there would be much left it it weren't getting help.

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

I'd tend to agree.

There was an article last week suggesting that the Chechen Leader Ramzan Kadyrov is waiting in the wings and laying the foundations to ascend if Putin is removed.

In the short term I'd really love to see the Ukrainians urinate on whatever Putin has planned for May 9th...

what about that youngish bloke putin has locked up ...?that keeps getting 5 years added to his sentance ?

there is some talk about Belarus....being very dodgy / on weak ground.........i think something might happen there before Russia....then it might prompt the Russian people to do something...as Putin will then be fighting on 3 fronts...it will be too much....the Russian people are frit...after so many years being under the heel.....but Belarus is in many ways similar to Ukraine...and the leadership is far more fragile....brutal but not clever

Edited by ditchman

10 hours ago, Rewulf said:

She is a voice in the wilderness, well known for nonsense left wing utterances. I am not surprised you support her views. 

Daly, who did win that European seat, started her political career in Ireland’s Labour party, where she was a member of the Militant Tendency faction before she was kicked out in 1989, along with other Militant members, for creating a party within a party.

Clare Daly A European election candidate has defended offering to pay €5,000 bail for a man arrested on explosives charges in the run-up to the State visit of Prince Charles to the Irish Republic.

I'd tend to agree.

He would be in a long queue of powerful people so i tend to disagree, he hasn't a hope in hell of taking over from Putin IMO.

Edited by ordnance

Rewulf That depends on how prepared they were for this war, doesnt it ?

Clare Daly puts it all very succinctly 

She says she doesn't support sanctions on Russia, but surprise she has no problem with them being put on Israeli.

Deputy Clare Daly asked the Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade if he will raise the issue of an EU-wide boycott of goods from Israeli settlements with his EU counterparts in view of United Nations Security Council Resolution 2334 which describes Israel’s settlements in the West Bank and east Jerusalem as illegal and a flagrant violation under international law

Edited by ordnance

59 minutes ago, ordnance said:

She is a voice in the wilderness, well known for nonsense left wing utterances. I am not surprised you support her views

You really don't pay much attention to what people say do you?

I'm about as left wing as the pope is Muslim.

14 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

You really don't pay much attention to what people say do you?

I'm about as left wing as the pope is Muslim.

Why are you posting a video of a well known left wing agitator, educate me what point you are making by posting the video of Claire Daily. You say ( Clare Daly puts it all very succinctly ) puts what very succinctly ?

1 hour ago, ordnance said:

He would be in a long queue of powerful people so i tend to disagree, he hasn't a hope in hell of taking over from Putin IMO.

It would depend on the context but based on military might he’d be towards the front of any queue, regardless of length.

He’s been very smart with the troops he’s deployed in support of Putin in Ukraine.

Russian state television has issued a strong warning that the Kremlin could wipe out the UK with the push of a button for supporting Ukraine.

Russian state TV threatens nuclear tsunami on UK

Play Video01:19

The broadcaster said an underwater missile could spark a 500-metre radioactive wave that would wipe out the UK and Ireland. (Source: Other)

In his Sunday evening primetime show, Channel One anchor Dmitry Kiselyov told viewers Russia's underwater Poseidon missile had the capability to spark a 500-metre radioactive tsunami that would wipe out the UK.

The Poseidon is an autonomous, nuclear-powered unmanned underwater missile approximately 20 metres long and weighing up to 100 metric tons.

"The explosion of this thermonuclear torpedo close to Britain's coastline will cause a giant tsunami wave, up to 500 metres high," Kiselyov said.

What next?

The above from a dear friend in Moscow, the people there are afraid and fear Putin is going to escalate. Many Russian people want to leave the country 

On 04/05/2022 at 12:53, Scully said:

The only way this is going to end is with the assassination of Putin, and whose going to do that? 

Be careful what you wish for, there are worse people than Putin waiting on the sidelines ready to jump in. Russian politics is all about being seen as a strong man. Who ever comes next wont be a pacifist

47 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Be careful what you wish for, there are worse people than Putin waiting on the sidelines ready to jump in. Russian politics is all about being seen as a strong man. Who ever comes next wont be a pacifist

Is there? Name them. If there were then we would know about them, and Putin certainly would, and eliminate them. 
He isn’t the sort of leader to tolerate competition nor have a mini Putin waiting in the wings. 

43 minutes ago, Scully said:

Is there? Name them. If there were then we would know about them, and Putin certainly would, and eliminate them. 
He isn’t the sort of leader to tolerate competition nor have a mini Putin waiting in the wings. 

The bloke he has put in charge while he goes into hospital is a complete fruitcake for one. Mad as a box of frogs

Putin 'will have cancer operation in the near future' and 'hand over power to hardline ex KGB chief' | Daily Mail Online

yes he has been eliminating the competition, but he can't eliminate them all. He needs his 'friends' around him to maintain his protection but he must realise that they are all weighing him up

Edited by Vince Green

17 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

yes he has been eliminating the competition, but he can't eliminate them all. He needs his 'friends' around him to maintain his protection but he must realise that they are all weighing him up

It's tough at the top !!