Putin announces 'military operation' in Ukraine.

Dave-G

It looks like Ukraine are getting some success with the Javelins and NLAW anti tank weapons. Sounds like they are putting up a brave fight. Credit also to Zelensky, apparently still in Kiev no doubt the Russians will hunt him down. 

8 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Token gestures, like the German helmet donation (🤭 ) 
When  Ukraines military infrastructure and equipment is based on Russian patterns, theres only so much NATO can provide, without Ukraine shelling out on a complete overhaul, and switching to western practice and armaments.
Something it simply couldnt afford to do.

Well theres a simple answer to that one , if they KNEW this was going to happen, why didnt they do something different to what they have been doing, both Ukraine and NATO.
Why is it all such a shock ?

Why would they go further , after Ukraine there is NATO , and thats WW3 , which Russia cannot win ?

They can destabilise and undermine the adjacent state and fund opposing parties. There are many in the Nato borders that feel joining NATO was inviting the US in to run their country. The Russians have already demonstrated the success of that tactic by supporting the break up of the EU. 

1 minute ago, bostonmick said:

The likes of putin do not recognise any possibility of defeat.all the reports that putin was game playing and would not attack were wrong.dont ever think he would back away from ww3 and using nuclear. 

If he is as mad as we seem to think then all bets are off. 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Token gestures

The figures don't read like token gestures. 218425017_Screenshot_20220225-121313_SamsungInternet.jpg.0d02b3f8631081df92e91399e78103bb.jpg

23 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Well theres a simple answer to that one , if they KNEW this was going to happen, why didnt they do something different to what they have been doing, both Ukraine and NATO.
Why is it all such a shock ?

What could we, Germany or France do? All they can do is impose sanctions which do nothing other than say we're not happy.

24 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Why would they go further , after Ukraine there is NATO , and thats WW3 , which Russia cannot win ?

I'm sure people thought that before WW1 & WW2, if Russia see no opposition why would they stop, Poland, Romania, Latvia, Estonia,  Moldova must all be looking very closely at what's going on. 

5 minutes ago, Mice! said:

token gestures.What could we, Germany or France do? All they can do is impose sanctions which do nothing other than say we're not happy.

As far as I can see the  sanctions being imposed is just a way of being able to say "look we are doing something" bu will nothing as no county is willing to go to far with them because they all  need to much from Russia.

29 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

The likes of putin do not recognise any possibility of defeat.all the reports that putin was game playing and would not attack were wrong.dont ever think he would back away from ww3 and using nuclear. 

The two comments conflict with logic.
WW3 , and particularly a nuclear WW3, ARE defeat for Russia.

Its like shooting yourself in the head, hoping it kills your enemy when it comes out the other side.

11 minutes ago, Mice! said:

The figures don't read like token gestures. 

$650 million of arms sales arent that big, there is no game changing kit in there, as we have seen.

38 minutes ago, oowee said:

It looks like Ukraine are getting some success with the Javelins and NLAW anti tank weapons. Sounds like they are putting up a brave fight. Credit also to Zelensky, apparently still in Kiev no doubt the Russians will hunt him down. 

They do indeed, but with little chance of resupply, its only a matter of time.
Which makes you wonder , what is the point of trying to stop them , when they cant actually be stopped ?

38 minutes ago, oowee said:

They can destabilise and undermine the adjacent state and fund opposing parties. There are many in the Nato borders that feel joining NATO was inviting the US in to run their country. The Russians have already demonstrated the success of that tactic by supporting the break up of the EU. 

If the country or indeed the EU is so weak willed , or troubled , that a bit of Russian interference can break them up ...?

Ukraine already has masses of Russian supporters, and bar some kind of free and fair elections, I can see the country split down the middle.
This is a massive complicated issue, and this 6 year old , rather long winded video trys to explain it.

1 hour ago, bluesj said:

As far as I can see the  sanctions being imposed is just a way of being able to say "look we are doing something" bu will nothing as no county is willing to go to far with them because they all  need to much from Russia.

That's how ii see it, watching the house of commons earlier and everyone is saying will the government impose the strictest of sanctions?

Of course they will, but sanctions on Russia have never achieved a thing.

They've moved the champions league Cup, big deal and one F1 driver has said he won't race there, the race should already have been cancelled. 

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Which makes you wonder , what is the point of trying to stop them , when they cant actually be stopped ?

I cannot see how Russia can win this. Sure they will take over the country and put in a puppet government but thats only the start. 

I can’t see the Ukrainian people accepting a puppet leader. 

Taking the country is one thing but maintaining it is another. 

Are they going to run it like North Korea?

I doubt it.

I predict that the Russians will take certain positions, then offer to withdrawal and a cease fire on the condition that NATO membership is taken off the table.

Russians will withdraw from some areas but will remain in other areas that they initially invaded, claiming they are separatist states and need to be protected like Crimea. 

1 minute ago, Dave-G said:

I'm hearing stories (from a Russian perspective - a friends wife is Russian) that Russia is wiping out up to eight bio plants in Ukraine. Of course she sees and hears it through different eyes and ears than us. 

Bio plants? 

13 minutes ago, oowee said:

Beating Ukrain in battle is one thing but annexing the country is another. They will not be able to sustain the position. 

Agreed , which is why I dont see a long conflict or occupation.

5 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I can’t see the Ukrainian people accepting a puppet leader. 

According to western media, that was exactly what Poroshenko was, they traded him in for a pro western comedian, and look where it got them.

6 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I predict that the Russians will take certain positions, then offer to withdrawal and a cease fire on the condition that NATO membership is taken off the table.

Russians will withdraw from some areas but will remain in other areas that they initially invaded, claiming they are separatist states and need to be protected like Crimea. 

On the money :good:

There is a considerable anti war uprising in Russia but Putin has such a hold on the country that anyone willing to stand tall vanishes very quickly. He is a tyrant and as mentioned in the Telegraph this morning not quite right in the head and that makes this even more dangerous.

Edited by Walker570

41 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

There is a considerable anti war uprising in Russia but Putin has such a hold on the country that anyone willing to stand tall vanishes very quickly. He is a tyrant and as mentioned in the Telegraph this morning not quite right in the head and that makes this even more dangerous.

Their stock market bombed 45% at one point yesterday, he has made a collosal mistake and I wouldn't be at all suprised if he isn't removed soon by one means or another.  Seen the young Ukranian soldier blowing a bridge and himself up today, heart breaking.  Putin is the Devil.

The problem after putin is the next kgb nutter will be an unknown . I think the next card to play will be where china goes and if they back putin!

putin does not care about his people just his own agenda I do think his billionaire oil mates may be having a whip round to get him sent some ‘special perfume’

Agriv8

1 hour ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Their stock market bombed 45% at one point yesterday, he has made a collosal mistake and I wouldn't be at all suprised if he isn't removed soon by one means or another.  Seen the young Ukranian soldier blowing a bridge and himself up today, heart breaking.  Putin is the Devil.

They said on the news today that the markets had recovered? Or were recovering. 

Putin is just the same as other leaders further afield, but he has a lot more troops, equipment and the big red button.

There are lots of nut cases in charge that haven't been removed, this is just a lot closer to home.

4 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

It seems China are distancing themselves from him.

I saw it reported on the news last week , that the Chinese were happy with his plans . The events of this week might have changed things a bit.

Russia and Ukraine supply vast amounts of wheat gas andcooking oils etc to Europe .With Ukraine under Putin,s control he can charge what he likes for these commodities because we are to reliant on others for fuel when we have plenty ousselves it is Germany that is in hock now to Russia for gas to fuel electricity generation as the Green Party made them close down the nuclear power plants and become solely reliant on gas

A lot of people will die before the inevitable happens. Russia will win this battle. Ukraine needs to accept the inevitability and deal with it.