Putin announces 'military operation' in Ukraine.

Dave-G

3 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Honestly I think Putin is following the old Soviet doctrine of probing for weakness.  He will hold his main forces back for days while launching small attacks.  The small attacks will find the ambushes and weak points.  Then he will send in his main battle groups.  The troops he is sending in now are expendable poorly trained conscripts.  In a day or two you will here about the full attack. 

Every day Putin has troops in battle costs him a fortune, he wanted a quick victory, he isn't getting it and will become more and more desperate.He is being made to look a fool on the world stage, his troops are supposed to be the best and they are being stopped by an army who he has dismissed in the past.
The longer he fights the more supplies he has to move and Ukraine have been hitting his supply lines, putin is hurt.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Honestly I think Putin is following the old Soviet doctrine of probing for weakness.  He will hold his main forces back for days while launching small attacks.  The small attacks will find the ambushes and weak points.  Then he will send in his main battle groups.  The troops he is sending in now are expendable poorly trained conscripts.  In a day or two you will here about the full attack. 

Yeah, quick Internet search show that the bulk of the Russian attack force is idle at the border as of 8 hours ago.  Once the Ukrainians have exhausted their setup ambushes on the small forces you will see an old school Soviet wave of soldiers.  

46FAF95A-895A-44FA-AF35-CA278F63C5ED.png

4 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

Every day Putin has troops in battle costs him a fortune, he wanted a quick victory, he isn't getting it and will become more and more desperate.He is being made to look a fool on the world stage, his troops are supposed to be the best and they are being stopped by an army who he has dismissed in the past.
The longer he fights the more supplies he has to move and Ukraine have been hitting his supply lines, putin is hurt.

Sorry meant to quote you in the post above. 

17 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

11 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

Two diametrically opposed points of view. One based on history and one on current media output. One wonders which will be proved correct.

Here is what’s happening in my opinion. Putin is playing master chess. By sending in small groups he is counting resistance forces. He is figuring out where air power is needed and where it’s not. Putin has plenty of bombs but he doesn’t know where to drop them.  That’s what his is figuring out know. If the Ukrainians were on his level they would allow Russian gains in the heavy defended areas. Let the Russians see little to no resistance. Once the city is choked full of armor and can’t move  then turn the streets into a killing field. 

PS: I reserve the right to be wrong on anything I say, I am  literally Nobody Important. 

13 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Here is what’s happening in my opinion. Putin is playing master chess. By sending in small groups he is counting resistance forces. He is figuring out where air power is needed and where it’s not. Putin has plenty of bombs but he doesn’t know where to drop them.  That’s what his is figuring out know. If the Ukrainians were on his level they would allow Russian gains in the heavy defended areas. Let the Russians see little to no resistance. Once the city is choked full of armor and can’t move  then turn the streets into a killing field. 

I'm not 100% convinced, but what the * do I know!

it does look like the longer it goes on and the more losses he has be it on the battle field or world stage the more chances are for him to through his toys out the pram big time. He's threatened Finland and Sweden and now he's shouting about nuclear weapons!

Its looking more and more like the fan has been turned on and is just waiting for the ****!

Edited by bluesj

Would you surrender if somebody invaded your home ?????

Would you shoot them with your legally held shotgun?  Your question is simplistic in the extreme. 

If Russia's invasion fails, I will be over the moon, but I honestly don't see Putin losing face . I think he may well trash the country. It boils down to whether you think there is a realistic prospect of winning. 

The Politicians should have sorted this before it happened. They have had enough warning. 

1 minute ago, bluesj said:

I'm not 100% convinced, but what the * do I know!

it does look like the longer it goes on and the more losses he has be it on the battle field or world stage the more chances are for him to through his toys out the pram big time. He's threatened Finland and Sweden and now he's shouting about nuclear weapons!

Its looking more and more like the fan has been turned on and is just waiting for the ****!

You could be right. But the fact that he has more troops still on the Russian side of the border worries me.  What is you opinion they are there for?  I guess it could be border  defense incase Nato reacts but when NATO says they won’t do anything then why not use those troops unless yours holding them back for a purpose. 

Very difficult to comment on how he’s doing when his motives aren’t clear.

I do suspect we’re rapidly losing toys out of the pram, and it’ll be difficult to find a solution that has him saving face.

He can’t con his people forever, and he’s now got no future credibility as a genuine leader. It’ll begin to get lonely for him.

A difficult and dangerous situation.

2 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

You could be right. But the fact that he has more troops still on the Russian side of the border worries me.  What is you opinion they are there for?  I guess it could be border  defense incase Nato reacts but when NATO says they won’t do anything then why not use those troops unless yours holding them back for a purpose. 

We've been told for ever that the Russian military are one of the best in the world. So If they wanted to crush Ukraine they could but if they want Ukraine to but of some use and not just a smoking hole in the ground putin has got to go a bid slower and he will need more troops to bolster security in the area if he wins

4 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Can Putin authorise Nuclear Strikes without his Parliaments approval?  If he can god help us all because he is clearly mentally unfit to be in charge and is getting worse by the day.

Who is in charge in Russia Putin or parliament?

Not sure but they had a vote on sending troops into the Ukraine, it might well be a puppet Parliament but trying to bully a vote through on the use of Nuclear Weapons is something else.  I am praying he is removed soon and his troops return home.  His actions are those of an insane mad man with a death wish.

Edited by Weihrauch17

A scan through reddit, and bitchute offers non mainstream biased on the ground mobile phone footage that's an eye opener. Some of what I've seen shows conscriped kids following orders or get shot for cowardice. I reckon they're relieved to be able to surrender to stop what they have been ordered to do. Putin name ought to be changed to Cretin.

Edited by Dave-G

1 minute ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Not sure but they had a vote on sending troops into the Ukraine, it might well be a puppet Parliament but trying to bully a vote through on the use of Nuclear Weapons is something else.  I am praying he is removed soon and his troops return home.  His actions are those of an insane mad man with a death wish.

I think that is the only way Russia will be able to return to some sort of  normality on the world stage in my life time!

21 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Can Putin authorise Nuclear Strikes without his Parliaments approval?  If he can god help us all because he is clearly mentally unfit to be in charge and is getting worse by the day.

In the USA only the president can launch  nuke.  But it takes two people. The President has to order it.  And the secretary of defense has to verify it is truly the President that ordered it. There is a person that follows the President around the world with a briefcase with the code in it.  The President give the order followed by the lunch code. Then the nuke is launched.  This is all nukes except subs. Because of Mutual Distruction pact a sub commander can launch at will if the commander and political officer agrees to launch.  This is encase America is wiped out our subs start launching nuke on their own

Edited by NoBodyImportant

52 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

PS: I reserve the right to be wrong on anything I say, I am  literally Nobody Important. 

In my opinion Putin needed a very quick victory, that way he could show the people back home that the Russian army had taken control with little life lost on their side, then it would be a case of sitting tight.
But the war is drawing out, the world can see people dying, Russian people can see their troops dying, the cost will be vast to Putin at a time when he has been restricted from trading globally and it will be hurting him, his supply lines have been attacked and that will be another huge headache for his commanders on the ground.

Logic says that eventually Putin will win, he has a vastly bigger army so they will keep attacking as Putin wants them to, but as it draws out the world sees the suffering of the Ukranians and despise and hate Putin even more.

I don't think he is a master tactician, i think he is a brute force type of person and tried to intimidate the Ukranians with the amount of troops he has, but it turns out a lot of his troops are conscripts, a lot of his equipment is old and not good and his forces will be at a low as they keep taking casualties. Putin tried his first shock troops the chetchen's and look what happened they were slaughtered by the Ukranians and one of their senior commanders died.

As i say Logic suggests Putin will win by numbers alone, but he can't afford this drawn out battle.

31 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Would you shoot them with your legally held shotgun?  Your question is simplistic in the extreme. 

If Russia's invasion fails, I will be over the moon, but I honestly don't see Putin losing face . I think he may well trash the country. It boils down to whether you think there is a realistic prospect of winning. 

The Politicians should have sorted this before it happened. They have had enough warning. 

Spot on IMHO, Putin has the ability and resources to obliterate Ukraine without his land army setting foot in the country, whilst I have respect for the citizens arming themselves and preparing to fight, I think they are playing into Putin's hands and giving him an excuse to come in heavy.

I just looked for updates and it appears that the large troop formations he held back just ordered in Russia has now invaded Ukraine with a majority of the 150,000 troops it had amassed along the country’s borders, the U.S. assessed late Saturday, per Paul McLeary and Ward. That means “the main thrust still appears to be on the horizon.”

Edited by NoBodyImportant

10 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

I don't think he is a master tactician, i think he is a brute force type of person.

Disagree, he is literally seizing a entire country in the modern era and no other country is trying to stop him. Western Europe dismantled their nuclear power plants to suck natural gas from Russias tits. He forged alliances with China. He timed this at a point when his opponent America was led by the weakest President since Carter.  Inflation is running wild, food cost is high, and Russia is Americas largest exporter of fertilizer so our farmers will pay 1000% more .  If he pulls this off it will be the most brilliant military strategy I have seen in our lifetime. Even Biden said he can’t boycott Russian oil. 😂   But yes he is a brute force type guy. 

E75215E3-B563-430D-90BB-B3E821C7F48A.png

9 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Disagree, he is literally seizing a entire country in the modern era and no other country is trying to stop him. Western Europe dismantled their nuclear power plants to suck natural gas from Russias tits. He forged alliances with China. He timed this at a point when his opponent America was led by the weakest President since Carter.  Inflation is running wild, food cost is high, and Russia is Americas largest exporter of fertilizer so our farmers will pay 1000% more .  If he pulls this off it will be the most brilliant military strategy I have seen in our lifetime. Even Biden said he can’t boycott Russian oil. 😂   But yes he is a brute force type guy. 

E75215E3-B563-430D-90BB-B3E821C7F48A.png

No other country was going to attempt to stop him, if they had done then the situation would become a lot worse as it would be seen as an act of aggression against Russia and the world would be plunged into ww3, why do you think everyone is sitting still doing nothing? it wasn't a master stroke, it was simple tactics that everyone knew, that is why countries will pump in equipment but not troops.

His nord 2 pipeline dream is in taters he needed it, he has oil and gas that he is going to find difficult to trade globally, he has been excluded from swift, and his cronies are having bank accounts frozen and assets seized, this is why he is making ever bigger statements about what he will do, he banked on the rest of the world doing nothing, but they are going further with sanctions than ever before, he didn't expect it and is suffering because of it.

If he had been a brilliant stratagist he would have seized control of key assets and taken control of ukraine by now, insted he is losing troops and equipment, he is spending vast amounts of money at a time when Russia doesn't have lots of money.

As i said logic states he will win, but what is becoming increasingly clear is that he is no brilliant stratagist, and his army is a lot weaker than people thought.