Putin announces 'military operation' in Ukraine.

Dave-G

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, welsh1 said:

Every day Putin has troops in battle costs him a fortune, he wanted a quick victory, he isn't getting it and will become more and more desperate.He is being made to look a fool on the world stage, his troops are supposed to be the best and they are being stopped by an army who he has dismissed in the past.
The longer he fights the more supplies he has to move and Ukraine have been hitting his supply lines, putin is hurt.

I've never thought of Russian troops being the best, just that there are lots of them and they don't follow the rules that others do.

The idea of Putin being to look a fool is certainly dangerous,  I expect he wanted Ukraine intact and quick, but will likely trash it quite easily. 

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Spot on IMHO, Putin has the ability and resources to obliterate Ukraine without his land army setting foot in the country, whilst I have respect for the citizens arming themselves and preparing to fight, I think they are playing into Putin's hands and giving him an excuse to come in heavy.

If they haven't started air strikes, then they are still just probing,  like you say he could just be looking for the excuse. 

1 hour ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Disagree, he is literally seizing a entire country in the modern era and no other country is trying to stop him

It's quite bizarre,  he knows the world is just sat watching and wondering if its just the Ukraine or more.

55 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

No other country was going to attempt to stop him, if they had done then the situation would become a lot worse as it would be seen as an act of aggression against Russia and the world would be plunged into ww3, why do you think everyone is sitting still doing nothing? it wasn't a master stroke, it was simple tactics that everyone knew, that is why countries will pump in equipment but not troops.

If that's the case then there is nothing to stop them doing as they please, Sweden or Finland next.

If everyone knew he could do it there was very little done to stop him.

12 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I've never thought of Russian troops being the best, just that there are lots of them and they don't follow the rules that others do.

The idea of Putin being to look a fool is certainly dangerous,  I expect he wanted Ukraine intact and quick, but will likely trash it quite easily. 

If they haven't started air strikes, then they are still just probing,  like you say he could just be looking for the excuse. 

It's quite bizarre,  he knows the world is just sat watching and wondering if its just the Ukraine or more.

If that's the case then there is nothing to stop them doing as they please, Sweden or Finland next.

He will stop at the Ukrainian border.  

20 minutes ago, Mice! said:

NATO exists for one reason, to protect all members of it, you pick a fight with one you pick a fight with all, and that is what stops Putin, he knew if Ukraine became a member then he couldn't take it, so he has done it now, one of the reasons he is shouting at sweden and finland is because they are not NATO members and he is worried they will become members.

He won't make a move on other countries not in the near future anyway, Ukraine is costing him ,sanctions are going to hurt him, his war chest isn't that big.

27 minutes ago, Mice! said:

He doesn't control the Air Space.

2 hours ago, welsh1 said:

one of the reasons he is shouting at sweden and finland is because they are not NATO members and he is worried they will become members

But surely antagonising them pushes them towards NATO? And if he can attack non NATO countries without reprise then there's no reason he won't?

28 minutes ago, Mice! said:

But surely antagonising them pushes them towards NATO? And if he can attack non NATO countries without reprise then there's no reason he won't?

Both countries do not want to be part of NATO, both are signed up to partnership for peace, but they work with NATO and have signed a host country agreement , Sweden I believe has agreed to allow NATO to deploy on its territory to help protect it ,and Finland has an agreement that NATO can help it in its security and an aggression from another country.

2 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

Both countries do not want to be part of NATO, both are signed up to partnership for peace, but they work with NATO and have signed a host country agreement , Sweden I believe has agreed to allow NATO to deploy on its territory to help protect it ,and Finland has an agreement that NATO can help it in its security and an aggression from another country.

Seems odd, they don't want to be members,  but do want the benefits. 

6 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Would you shoot them with your legally held shotgun?  Your question is simplistic in the extreme. 

If Russia's invasion fails, I will be over the moon, but I honestly don't see Putin losing face . I think he may well trash the country. It boils down to whether you think there is a realistic prospect of winning. 

The Politicians should have sorted this before it happened. They have had enough warning. 

Go back to your original post that Ukraine has to accept defeat Why would any nation fighting for there lives accept defeat And to answer your question I would do anything to protect my family if I lived in Ukraine  against the Russians If Britain had accepted defeat in WW2 before USA got involved we would have all been speaking German now Good job your not a leader of a country What politicians are you talking about the Ukraine politicians were saying for weeks they needed help as Russia was amassing troops on there borders 

And to answer your question I would do anything to protect my family if I lived in Ukraine 

You have evaded the question. When you posed your question, Ukraine had no mention, nor had your family.

You have added these to justify you stance. You should enter politics.

Whilst I hope I am wrong, does anyone actually think the Ukraine can withstand the Russian invasion and at what cost? My opinion is that Ukraine would have been better served if they hadn't made it known they would like to join NATO. It provided Putin with the excuse to invade and secure a country rich in wheat, uranium and a whole lot more.

46 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

A long read but interesting. 

From reading that you can see why Finland wants to remain neutral,  close ties with Russia,  language,  exports and gas, a border with Russia, but they are obviously close with Sweden. 

Sweden look closer to joining NATO, but while they haven't,  there has been a massive increase in spending on defence,  probably because of the games Russia has been playing in Swedish territory. 

I'm not surprised by this....

Proponents of the PfP focused on it as an avenue for deepening security with non-NATO members, while detractors saw it as an ineffectual half-measure by countries hedging their bets.[9] Although not explicitly a path to NATO membership, 13 countries that joined the PfP program over the years went on to become full NATO members[10] (Albania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, and Slovenia). 

Given where these countries are they had nothing to lose joining NATO, and are probably very glad they did at the moment. 

16 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

You have evaded the question. When you posed your question, Ukraine had no mention, nor had your family.

You have added these to justify you stance. You should enter politics.

Whilst I hope I am wrong, does anyone actually think the Ukraine can withstand the Russian invasion and at what cost? My opinion is that Ukraine would have been better served if they hadn't made it known they would like to join NATO. It provided Putin with the excuse to invade and secure a country rich in wheat, uranium and a whole lot more.

I haven’t evaded no question I said I would defend my family if I lived in Ukraine My original post asked you would you not defend your home if it was invaded In the sense that the Ukraine population homes have been invaded by a foreign power You stated that Ukraine should accept the inevitable WHY should they ?? It’s there land The reason Ukraine asked to join nato is that since putin took control he’s had he’s eye on them for years Why do you think he’s using Belarus as a puppet state to launch he’s attack 

7 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

I haven’t evaded no question I said I would defend my family if I lived in Ukraine My original post asked you would you not defend your home if it was invaded In the sense that the Ukraine population homes have been invaded by a foreign power You stated that Ukraine should accept the inevitable WHY should they ?? It’s there land The reason Ukraine asked to join nato is that since putin took control he’s had he’s eye on them for years Why do you think he’s using Belarus as a puppet state to launch he’s attack 

Hello, there's now reports of Belarus solders joining Russian invasion of Ukraine 

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Just seen that FIFA wish to allow Russia to participate.

You couldn't make it up.  :w00t:

Bribery ???

38 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Just seen that FIFA wish to allow Russia to participate.

You couldn't make it up.  

Gazprom are very much in bed with fifa owned by Russian oil supremos and government if I remember rightfully!

shouldn’t be surprised as we are still buying gas of them AFIAK !

Agriv8