Off road breakdown cover.

30-6

Not that I do a lot off off roading, but sometimes needs must, and it is a real luxury to drive to your shooting position. But I do go up farm tracks which I suppose technically are not public highway.

My little Jimny was brilliant for the 13 years I had her, but another grandkid 3 years ago pushed me to need a bigger vehicle, enter a Duster 4x4, lovely car again.

With the Jimmy I had just normal standard vehicle breakdown cover. Had my first mot of the Duster today, so now the breakdown cover provided with new vehicles will expire in a couple of days, I need to get some more.

Is there any cover out there that will come into a field for example ? Am I right in thinking Green Flag used to do an advert for such scenarios ? Or can someone suggest another company.

18 minutes ago, 30-6 said:

Not that I do a lot off off roading, but sometimes needs must, and it is a real luxury to drive to your shooting position. But I do go up farm tracks which I suppose technically are not public highway.

My little Jimny was brilliant for the 13 years I had her, but another grandkid 3 years ago pushed me to need a bigger vehicle, enter a Duster 4x4, lovely car again.

With the Jimmy I had just normal standard vehicle breakdown cover. Had my first mot of the Duster today, so now the breakdown cover provided with new vehicles will expire in a couple of days, I need to get some more.

Is there any cover out there that will come into a field for example ? Am I right in thinking Green Flag used to do an advert for such scenarios ? Or can someone suggest another company.

Farm Tractor.

Years ago (before mobiles!) I used to keep a list of about six lads phone numbers on my sun visor. Everyone in the group had a 4x4 and access to a car trailer and we were all prepared to fetch each other from anywhere.
 All disbanded now.

I passed my driving test in 1966 and, now being too old to crawl about under vehicles and unable to fix modern stuff, I have just this year joined my first ever recovery service.

Well that was a shocker. Looked for quotes from all the big companies, the price ranged from £55 up to £180 for same level cover.

Specifically asked would I get cover off public highway, as in farmers field even if bogged down, and would vehicle be lifted as opposed to towed being a 4x4. Yes to both.

Couple of normal exceptions as in any policy of this type but acceptable.

At home, roadside, national recovery, all UK only. £55 with Green Flag. This was a discounted online quote, but when I phoned sales team to ask specific questions they matched the price.

Well done GREEN FLAG.

Green Flag? Useless. I was with them and came back to the UK after six weeks in Nigeria (which had meant to be four weeks but got delayed as the Presidential elections were postponed) to a car with a flat battery that I had booked in for an MoT Test as in that extended absence the MoT had expired. So I called Green Flag as I had "Home Start". They asked was I on the way to the MoT or had not yet set off. So I told them as I couldn't start it I hadn't set off.

No they said. Then we can't come as it doesn't have an MoT so if we start it and you then take it on the road and kill someone they, Green Flag, would be liable. But if I it had broken down on the way to the MoT then they would have come out. Even though it hadn't go to the Test Centre. And had no MoT. Then they could come out. Even though I could then have carried on, with no MoT, to the Test Centre and still killed someone. So Green Flag? Useless.

Edited by enfieldspares

Been with green flag for years never had a problem only had to wait 30 minutes for a breakdown , next time dropped off at my garage of choice  , only slight grumble i had was they tried to jump start my truck with a car jumper not a hope in  H*** but got a battery from black friday sales for £80  for it 

On 24/02/2022 at 22:33, 30-6 said:

Have you rung Auto aid? They send out local garages, not sure they cover what you want though.

On 26/02/2022 at 00:11, 30-6 said:

Enfieldspares

Do you think then that in the same scenario any other organization would have come out, and not cared if you killed someone ?

Well if it had a valid MoT and they had come out and started it and gone and done a Wayne Couzens would they be liable then? No. Just as the company that hired its car out to Cozens wasn't. Of course not and they wouldn't have been liable in the original circumstance as, as they said, if it had broken down ON ITS WAY to get an MoT they said they would have come out. Green Flag's "Ts and Cs" at that time unlike the AA and some others did not require that a vehicle have an MoT.

Edited by enfieldspares

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/battery-maintenance/jump-starters/ring-fast-charge-jump-starter---13000mah-496798.html?_gl=1*1de6olk*_up*MQ..&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3-yQBhD3ARIsAHuHT64iurxFGg4F12A0axPs3oj-Op2XS0VaOpb1HeZe9VwpgxmXcstZJj8aAg8IEALw_wcB

I have one of these in case I have battery problems in the wood. I have not tried it on the truck yet, but I started the Defender up with it when I had not used it for a while. 

On 27/02/2022 at 10:31, 30-6 said:

Went with Green Flag, I only do about 4k a year. I use my bus pass whenever I can to help save the world and my pocket.

I expect price to go up next year as this was a 40 % discount online, which was matched when I phoned to ask specific questions.

Hello, green flag and bus pass, average miles about the same 👍