Night vision goggles

kiriak

DSOON NV5000
Having been really impressed with the Dsoon Trail Camera and Dsoon solar panel I have been using of late, I thought I would give their night vision goggles a try. 
Most of my pest control is in the hours of darkness and I've been a fan of my Pard and Pulsar for some time.
The idea of the night goggles for me, would be to use them to help pinpoint a target from thermal heat signature to my Pard setting on 3 times mag.
I've never been a fan of binoculars as my eyes have never ever got on with the concept of turning two images into one. If you know what I mean.
The Dsoon NV5000 appealed to me, mainly due to the fact, that I would be looking at a 2.5" screen, that converts to 5" 2K HD because of the convex screen 
(and after having used it for a while I can see no edge distortion whatsoever).
This is by no means a comparison review, as I've never owned, nor used, night vision binoculars/goggles before, this is just my findings and a few of the facts....

Firstly, the build quality is superb. Rugged, but lightweight even with the batteries installed. It come with a good quality neoprene neck strap with is very comfortable.
A really nice touch is the quality hard case that comes with it. I've had to buy these in the past to protect my Pard and Pulsar, but this comes with the unit.
It also come with a 32GB card, data transfer cable, really easy to understand user manual and a cleaning cloth for the lenses. 
(both of which are internal on this model and makes the whole overall package look much more, modern, tactical and aesthetically pleasing in my opinion.

My glove size is large so this unit fits my hands perfectly, its ergonomically ideal for me as when I hold it, the large buttons on top are spot on at my fingertips.
These buttons control the on/off, zoom in and out, switch between day and night use, alter the levels of ir and are also used to navigate the menu.
It has a readily available focus wheel under the unit, which again, falls easily to hand to adjust without any fuss and not having to look away from the screen.
The menu function is easy to navigate and I found it very similar to the Pard and much, much easier than a Pulsar menu! I would say if you can use a trail camera menu, then this is almost exactly the same. It takes 2K photos and 1080 videos. It has a x6 magnification and no-glow ir with 7 levels of brightness. 
It runs off of 8xAA batteries and the run time is quite impressive with 6 hours of continuous use with the ir on and 20 hours of continuous use during the day. I'm sure this would be less in both modes if the zoom was used a lot. There is no image stabilisation, but, I have not found this to be a problem so far. I think if I was using it in really windy conditions, or, for long periods of time, I would sit it on top of a tripod as it does have the standard tripod screw fitting underneath. 
Due to illness and the really bad weather we have over the last few weeks since I got this, I have not yet been out on my permission, however, I do live on my permission and having used it in a pitch-black rural garden, the night vision turns it into daylight - and that is just on the lowest ir setting.  I have used it from my garden across the fields and again, in a pitch-black rural setting, it really does reach out. Far further than any shooting that I will be undertaking. For me, it is going to be the perfect tool after I have spotted using my thermal, to locate with a wide field of view, before shouldering my rifle to use the Pard. 
There are some videos on YouTube showing footage taken using this unit. Have a look. I think you will be impressed. Once the weather changes and I can get out on the permission I'll take and post some photos and video footage of my own. Would I recommend this unit? Absolutely. It's almost as much as a game changer for me as my thermal camera. If you, like me, can't get on with binoculars, its ideal for day use. For night vision, it bang-on for the buck! Once again, have a look at some of the YouTube reviews and make your own mind up.

It states 350 to 400 metres. When I do my testing I'll see how that stands up. It seems so far to be more than capable of that. With a separate ir torch I'm sure it will be good for as far as the ir reaches. 

It can be bought direct from Dsoon via their web site or on Amazon. Mine was from Amazon. Hope this helps  👍🏻

Pics show at 20/25m, total darkness, with Olight Warrior Pro torch and then the NV5000. 

NVDC0002.JPG

NVDC0001.JPG

NVDC0003.JPG

Edited by kiriak
Spelling

On 25/02/2022 at 20:51, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, thanks for that, that distance sounds very good, don't think need extra I/R, look forward to update , 👍

Hello, I was looking at a night fox model or Elite, both take 8 batteries,  but there maximum 200 yards, 350 to 400 yards with the  850Mn I/R seems overstated,  let us know how that goes , cheers

To be fair to all concerned, I've just ordered a new set of 8, top quality, AA batteries from Amazon. 

I want to be seen as being fair and impartial in my review, as I'm guessing, like anything else, something will perform better at optimum and less so,  if not at optimum. 

I will post results from a brand new set of batteries with the unit running at optimum performance.

Clearly, those images will be the best you can get.

Sound fair?

52 minutes ago, kiriak said:

To be fair to all concerned, I've just ordered a new set of 8, top quality, AA batteries from Amazon. 

I want to be seen as being fair and impartial in my review, as I'm guessing, like anything else, something will perform better at optimum and less so,  if not at optimum. 

I will post results from a brand new set of batteries with the unit running at optimum performance.

Clearly, those images will be the best you can get.

Sound fair?

👍

29 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I only found them on Amazon at £200 ?  most like these on go around 200 yards, this model says 400 yards ?? , Just waiting for up date from kiriak , I have some Pard 019s but think these might be better for me, 

I agree. Using these would be far better for me than using my PARD 019.

On 27/02/2022 at 07:56, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I was looking at a night fox model or Elite, both take 8 batteries,  but there maximum 200 yards, 350 to 400 yards with the  850Mn I/R seems overstated,  let us know how that goes , cheers

I have the night fox after walker mentioned one a while back. Still going strong after 3 years. 8 energizers and it lasts a good while, maybe 2 sessions. Rechargeables are useless and last half the time. 

I can say that it doesn't do 200 yards with the onboard ir, not that youd want to as it sucks batterys, but ive glued on a bit of rail and put a torch on. Now good for as far as my little l/lumens throws. 

For £100 odd quid, its great 

32 minutes ago, kiriak said:

Once I get a new set of quality batteries delivered I will carry out a fair,  honest and impartial review. You can make up hour own mind. 

👍 Thanks

42 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

I have the night fox after walker mentioned one a while back. Still going strong after 3 years. 8 energizers and it lasts a good while, maybe 2 sessions. Rechargeables are useless and last half the time. 

I can say that it doesn't do 200 yards with the onboard ir, not that youd want to as it sucks batterys, but ive glued on a bit of rail and put a torch on. Now good for as far as my little l/lumens throws. 

For £100 odd quid, its great 

Hello, I've been quite happy with the Pard 019 but think this type of night vision might be more  user friendly for me,, I cannot understand why they take 8 AA , would have been better with 1 or 2 18650s 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Batteries arrived OK but the last two nights it's been misty and tonight it's pi$$ing down with rain! 🙄

Tomorrow is supposed to be better weather so I hope to get some pics and post tomorrow night.

Edited by kiriak

OK here goes. Depends what you want the unit for but the one thing I said I'd try and show was how far the ir was useful for.

The pics attached show first without ir. Second on ir setting 1, third with ir setting on 3, fourth with ir setting on max setting 7.

That gap in the hedge is at 160 yards.

NVDC0007.JPG

NVDC0008.JPG

NVDC0009.JPG

NVDC0010.JPG

Edited by kiriak

Next 4 photos show again 1 with no ir, 2 on ir level 1, 3 with ir level on level 3, and 4 ir on level 7.

Row of trees to the left meeting the hedge are at 230 yards.

Trees in the distance are at 550 yards.

Electricity pylons are 3/4 of a mile away. 

NVDC0011.JPG

NVDC0012.JPG

NVDC0014.JPG

NVDC0013.JPG

I didn't think the results were that bad for a £200 unit. For my vermin shooting distances of 15 to 35/40 yards this turns day into night. 

To be honest, the photos are grainy compared to the image through the viewfinder which is much sharper and clearer. It is only a low megapixel camera image. 

I didn't get it for the photos or videos. I just got it to use as a nightvision spotter.