EJ Churchill regal boxlock sxs

Waterdog

2 minutes ago, Westley said:

I am not alone on this one, I have known several people who have bought 25" guns and not had them for long. A lot were AyA's which all had standard stock measurements, so it was not just a 'fit' issue. I know someone who shoots a Churchill. He is to Churchill,  the same as i am to Westley Richards. He will not part with his Churchill. It has been fitted by makers, but he still struggles with it  ?

For years I lusted after a Churchill, but I have never owned one. I have used AYA 25’s, both b’lock and s’lock. I have habitually preferred 26/27 inch guns since I first used a 26 inch in about 1967. My current game gun is 26 1/2 inch. But I do possess 28 inch and 30 inch guns and really notice no difference in the way I shoot, except that they are slower on to the bird.

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

No - felt both in the left hand and cheek - but the 'flip' probably does draw the eye as a sudden movement.  I don't have a shorter barrel than 27" (think that's what it is), but when I have used borrowed 25" - I do notice it.  It is more a significant 'lift' in the recoil.

I had a 25" AyA and stuck it out for 12 months. Got rid and bought a 26" no.2 and could hit anything with it  !

5 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

No - felt both in the left hand and cheek - but the 'flip' probably does draw the eye as a sudden movement.  I don't have a shorter barrel than 27" (think that's what it is), but when I have used borrowed 25" - I do notice it.  It is more a significant 'lift' in the recoil.

I would only ever feel anything in my cheek if the gun was a really bad fit for me, or I had been really careless in the mounting. Generally, I never notice any recoil.

3 minutes ago, Westley said:

I had a 25" AyA and stuck it out for 12 months. Got rid and bought a 26" no.2 and could hit anything with it  !

You wouldn’t think an inch could make such a difference!
(Ditchman will be all over that!)

Just now, London Best said:

I would only ever feel anything in my cheek if the gun was a really bad fit for me, or I had been really careless in the mounting. Generally, I never notice any recoil.

No - I don't normally notice it - but with very short barrels I certainly do as it has this 'flip up' to the muzzles element to it.  What I cannot say with any certainty  is how good the overall fit on the guns I have used was. 

I liked the fast light feel and thought this would suit me well - until I actually used them.  Neither 28" (my usual) nor 30" (older hammer guns) have any noticeable flip or recoil to me (with my normal 21g to 28g or even occasional 30 or 32g loads).

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

No - I don't normally notice it - but with very short barrels I certainly do as it has this 'flip up' to the muzzles element to it.  What I cannot say with any certainty  is how good the overall fit on the guns I have used was. 

I liked the fast light feel and thought this would suit me well - until I actually used them.  Neither 28" (my usual) nor 30" (older hammer guns) have any noticeable flip or recoil to me (with my normal 21g to 28g or even occasional 30 or 32g loads).

Your last paragraph just made me realise I do notice a difference with my longer guns. They are not only slower on target, but I always notice their extra weight. But I do not shoot them in any different way.

11 minutes ago, London Best said:

Your last paragraph just made me realise I do notice a difference with my longer guns. They are not only slower on target, but I always notice their extra weight. But I do not shoot them in any different way.

We, the truth is I don't really shoot them at all - as the flip/recoil didn't make it feel quite right.  Whether that could have been corrected by fit, I don't know.  I just find that 28" has always seemed to feel 'right' for me.

I would agree with @Westley that before buying a 25" or similar short gun, a decent trial would be important as I would concur that 25" doesn't suit everyone, and I think many (and indeed current fashion!) would agree with that.

1 hour ago, Westley said:

I would urge you to try the gun if possible. I was unable to shoot a 25" barrel gun. Strange but Holts shotgun man says the same thing. You need to develop a new style of shooting to use it well.

It’s a 28in , the dealers seem to have a lot of 25in ,I’ve looked at Sabel,Aya no2, W&S all 25in ,the Churchill was the only 28in I saw ,I particularly liked the Sabel if it had been 28in I’d have bought it in a flash 

49 minutes ago, London Best said:

You wouldn’t think an inch could make such a difference!
(Ditchman will be all over that!)

Again,  felt recoil differs from shooter to shooter. I shoot with people who keep telling me that they do not feel recoil, but watching their shoulder when they are shooting, the rearward movement is quite substantial. Having run a shooting ground, I had the opportunity to watch the shooter, rather than the target, very often if they had a 'misfire' (or in actual fact a NON fire) it was not unusual for the shooter to take an involuntary step forward. They were obviously anticipating the recoil, that never occurred. I think the 'Churchill' method of shooting was more a quick flip with the gun as soon as it met cheek and shoulder, rather than the more positive, but slower, gun mount of the longer guns.

I see now that the Churchill in question is 28".

17 hours ago, Waterdog said:

It’s a 28in , the dealers seem to have a lot of 25in ,I’ve looked at Sabel,Aya no2, W&S all 25in ,the Churchill was the only 28in I saw ,I particularly liked the Sabel if it had been 28in I’d have bought it in a flash 

Was the Sable a sidelock? If so any chance you could let me know which dealer has it?

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Dealers selling on commission seems surprisingly common, probably more so on less popular items than the mainstreams of Beretta, Browning etc.  Understandably, no dealer wants money invested in items they know will take a long time to sell on.

Have sold a lot of guns on this basis over the years. Cheaper than auction and absolute control over price.

4 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Have sold a lot of guns on this basis over the years. Cheaper than auction and absolute control over price.

Commission is not a recent thing.
Back in ‘89 I bought a beautiful F.J.Wiseman best boxlock from a dealer selling on commission. I made a lowish offer and he didn’t want to call the vendor but I insisted. Vendor was keen to sell and came down a bunch on his price. 
And three years ago I sold my .375 H&H the same way. Sold in a week.

Edited by London Best

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Dealers selling on commission seems surprisingly common, probably more so on less popular items than the mainstreams of Beretta, Browning etc.  Understandably, no dealer wants money invested in items they know will take a long time to sell on.

I don't know of a dealer round here that will do anything except offer you a commission sale 

On 27/02/2022 at 21:18, London Best said:

How very odd!

I have never noticed the length of barrels make any difference to how I shoot. 
In fact, I can’t tell any difference at all between different barrel lengths.

Yes I to can miss just as well with 26" right up to a 30"LOL