Morning out

the hitman

I was out nice and early 8.15am for a recce around some of my permissions- cracking day for the job, bright with a good s/westerly blowing.

I had a farm in mind 10 miles from home, however my attention was drawn to a field on route which had a steady line. This was a good back up field as I continued on.

As I glassed the field, which had a few showing interest, I suddenly realised that I had left the magnet battery at home an charge. I drove the 10 miles back, then thought that the back up field was probably the best option.

All set up with 2 on the magnet which I shot on Thursday - pigeons were showing interest straight away, and I was shooting nice decoying pigeons.

Flocks of 30+ and singles and doubles were keeping me busy, and I was almost going shot for shot as they were decoying so well.

It was so warm that I was stripped down to my shirt - with the sun lighting up the decoys.

At 12.30 with 20 shot, I called it a day as I had promised family that I would attend an afternoon walk- me and my big gob.

Nice one hitman , I can think of a lot worse ways to spend a morning out and trying keeping a happy family at the same time , not always easy to combine family commitments , work and sport all together .

I doubt if there is a Pigeon shooter alive who at some point in the past have left at home at least one item of the set up , even before I moved it was a fairly  regular occurrence , then when I moved after 40 odd years in my previous home then I can honestly say I left the odd item at home more times than I took a full kit , now after nearly six years I have got most things together and leaving something at home still happen but a lot less than it once did .

Nice report of a good bag and an enjoyable time out.

I`m in the club as far as leaving something at home or taking the wrong items. 

The list includes -:

Wrong calibre cartridges (took 16 bore for my 20 bore)

Took 16 bore Bismuth cartridges for my pigeon decoying session. Right calibre, but wrong and expensive cartridges. That certainly improves ones aim I can assure you.

Magnet for rotary

Mobile phone

Drink

Defrosted breasted pigeons for the rotary

And most bizarre .......... I hung up a bag from the freezer of what I thought to be two defrosted pigeons for the magnet in the shed the night before, only to find when I unwrapped the bag out in the field the next day to put on the rotary, two prepared and defrosted pheasants !! 

I`m assured that it`s an age thing ???

OB