Boxing Disgusting Decision

SuperGoose75

For Jack Catterall to go into Taylors back garden and put on a performance such as that, and then to get robbed of his glory by corruption is beyond belief. The powers that be should overturn this decision and clear out the corrupt judges if boxing is going to have any credibility.

I really feel for Jack Catterall as he was so quite and unassuming in the build up and Taylor was toted as one of the best P4P fighters in the world and for this to happen is sickening.

Me and the Mrs watched it, I thought catterall played it close to the mark and was surprised it took so long to get docked a point, but we both agree he was the better boxer on the night and had closed down Taylor's game, we were shocked at the result.

Not a good night for boxing.

2 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Apparently this decision is being looked into by the British Boxing Board of Control.

Yep I also saw that, it won't change alot unfortunately, this sort of thing has happened many times before and will probably happen many times in the future. I think there needs to be a far more professional body of judges and an independent body to ensure mandatory challengers fight each other and the rankings aren't fudged by the belts. 

14 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Yep I also saw that, it won't change alot unfortunately, this sort of thing has happened many times before and will probably happen many times in the future. I think there needs to be a far more professional body of judges and an independent body to ensure mandatory challengers fight each other and the rankings aren't fudged by the belts. 

This is the problem. There is no oversight that actually makes a difference. BBBoC can release all the findings they want, but the result will still stand. Unless there's evidence of real corruption - and it'd have to be incontrovertible - Catterall will always have that black mark on his record. 

Appalling decision making. It staggers me how one of them found it so clearly in favour of Taylor. Rewarding a boxer for being on the front foot is one thing, but if he's constantly walking onto hammer-shots whilst doing it, that's another thing altogether!

Pretty cowardly of Taylor to announce now's the time he's going up a division. this will be a stain on his record.

There have been some dodgy and unjust scoring in fights over the years, (John Ryder v Callum Smith) is one that stands out!

Nothing is ever done or changed, however the public outcry from this one could be the one that finally breaks that mould.

Ben Shalom the shows promoter and Adam Smyth of Sky Sports Boxing are persistent in taking this further by the looks of it. They are talking about trying to make a rematch at a catchweight that would suit both boxers, something like 143lbs.

Would a rematch be the just thing to do? I don't think so. For most boxing fans nothing short of a decision to overturn the result will be good enough. Can this be done? It doesn't look like it can going by most account's, but I don't think this is going to be a case of letting the dust settle and it will be forgotten about, this one has left a bitter taste that will linger for years to come.

As for Josh Taylor, the decision was not his fault and apparently he and his family are getting dogs abuse by Internet trolls which is also disgusting. But for Taylor to rewatch the fight and still insist that he thinks he won,will no doubt lose him lots of fans in the long run. The belts are with the wrong man and everyone knows it.

Edited by SuperGoose75

The thing I never understand with a desicion like this is the fight was filmed,  I haven't read a single comment that says the desicion was right, so under appeal the fight should be reviewed along with the judges and their score cards, if it's obvious that they were corrupt then deal with it.

You would think it would be a simple procedure to do in this day and age.

The fact is Boxing is full of shady characters, from the mob in the states to underworld gangsters. You can go back as far as Sonny Liston to recent corruption like Michael Conlon getting robbed of an Olympic gold medal. There seems to be often other things at play that the general public know nothing about.

Like Jamie Moore said, would you want your son or daughter to get involved in such a sport with things like this happening. Boxing is and always was a great way of getting kids off the streets and into doing something constructive. But to dedicate most of your life to a sport, only for something like this to happen ''Such in the case of Jack Catterall''  then why would you even promote it! Of course boxing is still worth while in the sense of keeping fit and learning to defend yourself, but to pursue it as a profession with all the under handed stuff that goes on, would seem crazy.  To get a fair shake shouldn't be too much to ask for.