Capercaillie

islandgun

11 hours ago, matone said:

Another species that the `conservationists` have all but eradicated with their nonsensicle scheming.

Indeed, a report suggests that other areas could be set aside with carrion provided to encourage predators to not eat Capercaillie chicks ! [lets hope the predators respect this initiative]  How many deer fences will be erected to protect re-wilding areas. Also grazing by cattle has been found to be beneficial to improve Capercaillie habitat. everyone seems to be at odds, meanwhile numbers reduce

18 hours ago, Bigbob said:

Its scarey all the adivors probably have degrees etc but never done anypracticailhands on   gamekeepesr could of told them how to save the capercaillie but would they listen to them unlikely 

This exactly! I recall watching Caper in Speyside 30+ yrs ago ,seeing several in one wood! They could be seen near to grantown then.At that time i can recall the incredulity that keepers had been dispensed with on the Abernethy reserve which was a Caper stronghold ...........i guess despite the input of all of the `expert` knowledge that it is not now!!!!! Very sad that these people are ruining our rare species .

On 27/02/2022 at 12:36, Walker570 said:

It was proved many years ago that the fencing off of forestry caused more deaths than predation.  If I remember, they stopped predator control.

Awesome bird. I have only seen them in Sweden. where I believe they still have a season for hunting.

I read a piece a while ago about capercaillie hunting in Sweden. Forgotten most of the details but they stalk them and shoot while sitting, which is a very difficult thing to do as you can only move while the birds are calling, or something of the sort. It takes great skill and judgement apparently.

There used to be so many in parts of Scotland that they used to hold driven days, I remember reading an article in Shooting Times back in the 80’s about one such day.  I think they shot about 40+ mixed capercaillie and blackgrouse. What I would pay to go on such a day!