Duck call

berthaboo

depends what duck species youre going after. i got the buck gardner finisher 2 call set of amazon for about £25  the mallard magic i must admit ive had no joy with but its my first set of calls and i m 99% sure its user error as im brand new but the 6 in 1 whistle ive had results with that from the start and all i did was practice in the car for the hours drive to the forshore.  can nail down effective pintail, wigeon and teal calls no bother

in my experience  duck will come in to most calls . Normally the callers abilities (or lack of therein)  or the fowls motivation to simply be elsewhere are to blame for non commitals  .Duck  aint snobs they dont care if the calls made by timmy tupper or  Gepetto so long as it has reasonable tones.I will add though that goose calls are different and geese in my experience are quite picky about the call tone --and of course the callers skills  again

Edited by bishop

If you want to invest for the future in a duck call, make sure the call you purchase has "guts" - the reed insert - made by U.S. call maker "Echo". Most of the UK call makers have such a call on offer. Long story short, they`re the best you can get, if not the cheapest. Practically every competition and meat caller in the U.S. uses a call based on Echo inserts. It doesn`t matter how good a caller you are, a cheap call will always sound cheap and tinny, thats down to the materials used and the manufacturing tolerances.

The secret of successful calling lies in the technique used. Here`s a link to a site with a series of instructional videos that might be useful to you. The technical quality of the videos is poor but the instruction includes the stuff that the American tutors omit to tell you! To the best of my knowledge MPK is no longer making calls.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Most duck will come into a well blown call. I tend to practice in the van going from job to job. Its funny as heck when you stop and people look at you honking or quacking away. If you live on your own just practice while playing the different species on youtube. If not just do it anyway and hack off the mrs 

• 4 weeks later...

Classic,  I agree the best time to practice is in the car. I suspect fellow drivers may think I'm vaping until I roll down the window but I am passed caring if I offend the good citizens of whatever borough I'm in. Had a few strange looks when driving through Edmonton but that's normal for north London. 

Duck commander old raspy nice even I sound vaguely duck like