Fuel problems again ?

holloway

A Mate with an old LandRover was a Technician on the Jaguars at Coltishall in Norfolk.

We travelled many miles shooting in his MoD powered wagon.

As the aircraft went in to be serviced they were initially drained back in to the large mobile tankers out on the line. That left a fair drop in each of the tanks where any grot would be.

This last stuff was drained in the hangar straight in to 45 gallon drums for disposal at a cost.

Tony helped keep the price down by straining the big bits out and mixing it with standard diesel.

A wonderful way of getting more miles from the tank.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

A Mate with an old LandRover was a Technician on the Jaguars at Coltishall in Norfolk.

We travelled many miles shooting in his MoD powered wagon.

As the aircraft went in to be serviced they were initially drained back in to the large mobile tankers out on the line. That left a fair drop in each of the tanks where any grot would be.

This last stuff was drained in the hangar straight in to 45 gallon drums for disposal at a cost.

Tony helped keep the price down by straining the big bits out and mixing it with standard diesel.

A wonderful way of getting more miles from the tank.

When I miss-fueled in Swindon I found the nearest backstreet garage and got recovered there (fuel doctor/AA were quoting hundreds to deal with it). The guy drained it off and he said he used it to  power his WW2 vehicles. Turned out I knew exactly where he lived - by the mini plant - as I used to see his American truck parked outside his house when I lived/stationed at Brize Norton

37 minutes ago, discobob said:

When I miss-fueled in Swindon I found the nearest backstreet garage and got recovered there (fuel doctor/AA were quoting hundreds to deal with it). The guy drained it off and he said he used it to  power his WW2 vehicles. Turned out I knew exactly where he lived - by the mini plant - as I used to see his American truck parked outside his house when I lived/stationed at Brize Norton

A guy I work with put diesel into his petrol car . Fuel doctor/AA charged him £160.00 to drain his tank .  I asked him how much diesel he'd put in before he realised .  He'd put 40p worth of diesel in 🙄. You'd have thought that the AA would have told him to just fill the tank with petrol , as 40p worth of diesel would make little or no difference. 

Years ago when engines were less 'fussy' it was quite normal to add a little petrol to diesel in hard winter weather to prevent waxing.  But there weren't catalysts, particle filters and all the other fancy electronic regulation, and injectors/injection pumps were fully mechanical.

48 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

A guy I work with put diesel into his petrol car . Fuel doctor/AA charged him £160.00 to drain his tank .  I asked him how much diesel he'd put in before he realised .  He'd put 40p worth of diesel in 🙄. You'd have thought that the AA would have told him to just fill the tank with petrol , as 40p worth of diesel would make little or no difference. 

Petrol in Diesel - if a small amount is OK I believe - just keep the tank brimmed to aid dilution and as @JohnfromUK used to be the norm (although we used Kero in the Forces in the winter to stop the waxing) to add some in. Not sure about Diesel in Petrol though - although 40p would only amass to a thimble full at the current prices.

I have miss fueled 3 times so far. The one at Swindon was subliminal as driving into the petrol station the presenter on the radio was on about how she had put the wrong fuel in her car the day before - and I went and done it straight away.

Another time, was at a new petrol station that had promotional things on the handles of the pump which made petrol look like diesel at first glance and also their nozzles were too short or something and didn't trigger my miss-fueling device - although luckily that time I had cover for it on my insurance

On 04/03/2022 at 13:23, discobob said:

Meanwhile - been in a meeting this morning where reading between the lines they want us back in the office 5 days a week - no payrise for 3 years and I have heard this will become 4 years 😞 before the pandemic we only done three days. Funny how the ones who want this are all new managers - that have negotiated their pay for travelling. Whereas a lot of the "workers" are people who started when it was at another location and then they moved into a City Center with no parking!!!

That will be my fuel bill going up by about £200 per month 😞 plus train costs of £100

No payrise, but not having to pay 200 a month on fuel whilst you've WFH hasn't been a complaint....?

As someone who's had to go to work every day, I get mildly bemused at how people forget how much they've benefited financially from not having to drive to work. Some of my colleagues are several thousand pounds richer from WFH. 

6 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

No payrise, but not having to pay 200 a month on fuel whilst you've WFH hasn't been a complaint....?

As someone who's had to go to work every day, I get mildly bemused at how people forget how much they've benefited financially from not having to drive to work. Some of my colleagues are several thousand pounds richer from WFH. 

from a top level you are right - but what you fail to recognize is my wife lost all of her income due to the covid rules - so we lost in excess of £1k a month as she is self employed but wasn't able to get any help.

I worked every day as well - I am just fortunate that my work I could do from anywhere in the world.

As I said, I took this job when it was a 30 minute drive from home - parking on site - and yes - I took the travelling costs into account.

If I drive into the office now it is now £3.60 Tunnel, plus £7.50 parking. Or I can drive further and get the train then at £5 per day and it takes a lot longer.

Yes, the 'not' driving to work did counterbalance the no pay rise - but now it won't when you look at the rising bills etc....

If you have issues with how your colleagues have financially benefitted compared to you I would raise your grievance with your management etc.. I have raised the grievance of our "no payrise" with my management. Please don't have a side swipe at me because of your situation. I wasn't having a sideswipe at anybody with what I put above - just having a whinge.

And with the recent fuel increases - now looking at £250 a month for fuel

1 hour ago, discobob said:

from a top level you are right - but what you fail to recognize is my wife lost all of her income due to the covid rules - so we lost in excess of £1k a month as she is self employed but wasn't able to get any help.

It wasn't a side swipe at you, and it was a general comment that linked to what you said.

No offence meant, and I feel for you and your family unit. My moan was more at the generalisation that work costs more now to travel again, rather than the cost returning after a sabbatical.