End of an era.Brewers chippie in Great Yarmouth have closed.

Old Boggy

10 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

No doubt our friend Marsh man was in the long queue getting the last serving of chips after this well known chippie closed after trading for many years.

OB

Morning Chris ..... No I wasn't in the long queue Saturday morning which'd stretched nearly all around the market , we were up town Friday to go to the bank and I got my portion of chips then , in a way a very sad occasion as they were part of the market for well over 100 years , where I was born we had a fish and chip shop in the village that was owned by another member of the Brewers family , this was well known and people from all over Yarmouth came for there fish and chip dinners and tea's .

Old Leo was one of the best and could always be relied on to find you a little job on the scouts bob a job week , as money was tight I am sorry to say the scouts didn't get the full bob as expense's had to be taken out which came to nearly that before they got there cut 😉, another act of generosity I can remember Leo doing was frying the large fish that were to big to go into our pan , these were got off my grandad  who was a stoker on a Lowertoft trawler , all my mum had to do was pay for the chips , you imagine asking a fish shop owner to do that this day and age .:good:

my saturday lunch on yarmouth market was...

large cone of chips from robin...2 pickled eggs...and then i would migrate to the fish stall and have 2 quids worth of shimps ontop of that....and i would buy a couple of bloaters for sunday breakfast............living the dream ehy .:lol:

You can't get proper fish and chips down here in the benighted South.

I remember, as a boy in Yorkshire, enjoying haddock and chips that had been fried in beef dripping on a coal-fired frier.

When I spent a year in Bradford in the 1970s, I was delighted to find a small local chippy that maintained the tradition.

They didn't do cod - full of worms!

16 minutes ago, ditchman said:

my saturday lunch on yarmouth market was...

large cone of chips from robin...2 pickled eggs...and then i would migrate to the fish stall and have 2 quids worth of shimps ontop of that....and i would buy a couple of bloaters for sunday breakfast............living the dream ehy .:lol:

I never went to that extreme with two pickled eggs on top of the chips , but I did make my way to the tripe stalls and have a quarter of pound of mixed tripe over my chips , then a few sqirt's from the Mustard vinegar bottle would be a meal fit for a king , in the corner of the market they had Niccolls jelly Ell stall , the ole Londoners loved them and would stand there spitting the bones out while tucking into a dish full , these I couldn't fancy and have never tried them even though we used to supply Mr Niccolls with a small amount of Ells fresh from the estuary , another stall we will never see the likes again along with the tripe stalls .:no:

36 minutes ago, amateur said:

I remember, as a boy in Yorkshire, enjoying haddock and chips that had been fried in beef dripping on a coal-fired frier.

When I spent a year in Bradford in the 1970s, I was delighted to find a small local chippy that maintained the tradition.

Ooh, I don't know!

Devon fish and chip shop Krispies named as the best in the UK - Devon Live

25 minutes ago, amateur said:

Too true. Why are chips today so pale, yellow and soggy. Even crispy ones are insipid colourless excuses of what used to be. No cooked brown colour. Is it because today they’re cooked in oil whereas years back they would have been cooked in beef dripping? And often there is a thin layer of sog between the batter and fish.

6 hours ago, ditchman said:

really sad to see Robin go........and the market being messed about with once AGAIN.........people cannot leave well alone...if it aint broke ..then dont fix it

Sadly the culture today seems to  be fix it to break it? All by design of course?

We used to have several what I would call good fish and chip shops , when you have fish and chip shops on every other road then only the good ones survive , nowadays I have tried most of the local ones , edible yes , but not brilliant by any means , one of the best ones I go to is on Regent St in Cromer , everything is fried fresh and you can walk around the corner and sit on one of many benches facing the sea beside Cromer Pier .

Two a bit further up the coast at Wells are also very good and have won many awards , sitting around the harbour while watching the world go by is a perfect way to spend the day off , and then eating your fish and chips crown it off nicely .

4 hours ago, B725 said:

The Black Country living museum fries fish and chips in beef dripping with a coal fired fryer and very nice

Black Country museum are the best fish and chips in the UK 🇬🇧 😁.

On 01/03/2022 at 13:32, amateur said:

This. Sweats in Leeds ditto. 

On 01/03/2022 at 15:29, B725 said:

The Black Country living museum fries fish and chips in beef dripping with a coal fired fryer and very nice

Wessington chipshop near us do probably the best for miles 

On 01/03/2022 at 19:33, mel b3 said:

Black Country museum are the best fish and chips in the UK 🇬🇧 😁.

Can you go just for the Fish and Chips?

Or have you get to pay and go in to the museum too?

I believe you have to pay but the living museum is an amazing day out, when we went we noticed a small queue forming so I asked why and was told its for the fish and chips they had started queing  an hour before they opened so we joined the queue. They only do fish and chips and pickled eggs as at the time in history that's all that was available. Every building is a genuine one removed from wherever in the county and faithfully rebuilt as it was.