Trap Gun

Dick

According to the BASC steel shot day that I went on steel is not recommended for tighter than 1/2 choke. So a traditional fixed choke trap gun at 3/4 and full may be a problem in the future. I could get the chokes reamed out but would rather not if an interchangeable choke gun was available.

16 hours ago, **** said:

According to the BASC steel shot day that I went on steel is not recommended for tighter than 1/2 choke. So a traditional fixed choke trap gun at 3/4 and full may be a problem in the future. I could get the chokes reamed out but would rather not if an interchangeable choke gun was available.

That recommendation is for HP steel. As far as I recall, BASC recommendation is also that you can put standard steel through any choke. 
Or you could just use lead of course. 

According to the BASC steel shot day that I went on steel is not recommended for tighter than 1/2 choke. So a traditional fixed choke trap gun at 3/4 and full may be a problem in the future. I could get the chokes reamed o

1 hour ago, Scully said:

That recommendation is for HP steel. As far as I recall, BASC recommendation is also that you can put standard steel through any choke. 
Or you could just use lead of course. 

ut but would rather not if an interchangeable choke gun was available.

20220302_140254.jpg

1 hour ago, **** said:

According to the BASC steel shot day that I went on steel is not recommended for tighter than 1/2 choke. So a traditional fixed choke trap gun at 3/4 and full may be a problem in the future. I could get the chokes reamed o

ut but would rather not if an interchangeable choke gun was available.

20220302_140254.jpg

If you use standard steel you can put it through ANY choke, even in a nitro proofed gun. If you’re shooting trap and given that steel patterns tighter than lead ( I’m assuming that’s down to the plastic wad the shot is enclosed in? ) then in theory you shouldn’t need a tighter choke than 1/2 anyhow. 
Therefore If you want to shoot steel through 3/4 and full, it would in theory, pattern akin to extra full and extra extra full wouldn’t it? So in theory again, you should be looking for a trap gun which has been opened out to nothing tighter than 5/8. 🤷‍♂️
If in doubt just use lead. 

I was putting gamebore steel cartridges through a standard Miroku MK38 choked 3/4 and Full some 15 years ago. At that time choke was never an issue, it is only the advent of super duper steel that is causing a problem. Apart from the general problems that 'sustainable' ammunition is causing anyway.

10 minutes ago, Westley said:

I was putting gamebore steel cartridges through a standard Miroku MK38 choked 3/4 and Full some 15 years ago. At that time choke was never an issue, it is only the advent of super duper steel that is causing a problem. Apart from the general problems that 'sustainable' ammunition is causing anyway.

👍