Fluted rifle bolt.

steve_b_wales

I've seen fluted bolts on military style sniper rifles, maybe it was designed so the bolt is easier to operate as there may be less contact area in the action. Or maybe its to help in cases of cold weather/dirty conditions.

Can't see any use for it on a hunting rifle, although if your rifle has some nice wood a jewelled bolt looks nice.

57 minutes ago, London Best said:

If you don’t know of any benefit, then why have you “been thinking of having  it done”?

Doesn’t make sense to me.

I have heard of some benefits, just wanted to know if anyone on here has had theirs done and have noticed an ;improvement' etc.

the only reason i can think of is when the rifle is used in sandy conditions........Holland & Holland go the other way...they concentrate on the bolt headspace and then allow a lot of slop/slack on the bolt body to allow for carp build up.......when you jack a H&H bolt open and closed you will be surprised at the slack there is

2 minutes ago, Jimbo yorks said:

In the military fluted bolts take a tiny bit of weight out but in winter conditions reduce the chance of it freezing up. 

Reduces the contact area so if it does freeze up can be broken free.

That and long with fluted barrels look ally as!

Go faster stripes for rifles?

A has been said, really. The fluting means the bolt is far easier to operate in frozen / snowy conditions, as the fluting allows the static surface area to be minimised. 

Or something like that - a friend in Accuracy International explained the reasoning, but I have to admit I wasn't paying full attention

• 2 weeks later...

Custom rifles have fluted bolts to enable muck and grit to roll into the flutes rather than interfere with the functioning of the bolt, bearing in mind the fine tolerances they are made to. They'll make no odds to a factory rifle, other than to lighten the bolt by a few grams and to gladden your heart if you like to see fluting.