Drones in the field

HAYBURN

I apologise if this has been covered before. I was on Y/T the other day and came across videos on drones. I was very impressed at the size of the drone  and the quality of the video. It got me thinking .Does anyone on here use a drone on there shooting permission ?  My permission (fields)  are split in different areas on the same farm. would it be any good for checking fields, crop damage, vermin location etc.

What are the advantages if any ?

The wind is the problem, to overcome it you need the more expensive type of drones and they definitely spook birds. There are better model jet planes but then you up the price of your camera. Speak to your local model flying club and they will certainly know what works best in your area

With regard too drones I have one they are not that noisy and do not spook birds as msg claims I had mine hovering about 50’ over a bleedin pigeon on my roof it didn’t move until I buzzed it then it went, also mine has a camera on it quite handy which we used once to find a downed model aircraft as the controller has a screen on it so yes you could survey land as such to see where any damage was occurring and wind doesn’t really affect mine and it was only couple hundred quid not an expensive one. I do know about model flying as I have my model aircraft bmfa qualification too fly and fly quite regularly.You could not use a jet model aircraft as mentioned by msg have you flown one I have a couple of them a few times I would not even consider a aircraft stick with a drone. But if you did go down the drone route you would need too pass the CAA exam quite easy really get insured then you would have a CAA No which has to be attached to the drone, all that caused by some idiot down at Gatwick the other year so sensible flyers like me now have too suffer because of 1 idiot. But in reality if you have permissions and the farmers ok what about just going for a walk around and noting where there is crop damage etc and it healthier for you and your bank balance. By the way my drone up for sale as don’t use it anymore 

8 minutes ago, Marka11 said:

With regard too drones I have one they are not that noisy and do not spook birds as msg claims I had mine hovering about 50’ over a bleedin pigeon on my roof it didn’t move until I buzzed it then it went, also mine has a camera on it quite handy which we used once to find a downed model aircraft as the controller has a screen on it so yes you could survey land as such to see where any damage was occurring and wind doesn’t really affect mine and it was only couple hundred quid not an expensive one. I do know about model flying as I have my model aircraft bmfa qualification too fly and fly quite regularly.You could not use a jet model aircraft as mentioned by msg have you flown one I have a couple of them a few times I would not even consider a aircraft stick with a drone. But if you did go down the drone route you would need too pass the CAA exam quite easy really get insured then you would have a CAA No which has to be attached to the drone, all that caused by some idiot down at Gatwick the other year so sensible flyers like me now have too suffer because of 1 idiot. But in reality if you have permissions and the farmers ok what about just going for a walk around and noting where there is crop damage etc and it healthier for you and your bank balance. By the way my drone up for sale as don’t use it anymore 

only need a CAA above a certain weight.

8 minutes ago, Westley78 said:

I have one of these and it’s an excellent piece of kit and so easy to fly👌🏻

https://www.dji.com/uk/mobile/mini-2

Thanks for the reply's ..This is the one I was watching the videos on, it gets great reviews. an because of it's size you can almost fly it anywhere, also the software they use puts restriction on flight zones etc

8 minutes ago, Marka11 said:

I do walk around the area but I cant get my car near some of the fields and I tend to keep to the edge of the fields. I have AF ( Atrial fibrillation) an the area is hilly in parts I run out of steam . also takes its toll. I just wonder If members used it to there advantage. What is the drone model you use do you have a link? 

**** mate AF my mother has that bloody hell you take care fella can understand why you don’t want walk much apologise for my comment about walking around I use a FImi A3 go on YouTube type in Andyrc and fimi a3 he’s a mate of mine I fly with he does reviews knows his stuff regarded as one of the best drone guys in the country for programming them etc

22 minutes ago, HAYBURN said:

Thanks for the reply's ..This is the one I was watching the videos on, it gets great reviews. an because of it's size you can almost fly it anywhere, also the software they use puts restriction on flight zones etc

I do walk around the area but I cant get my car near some of the fields and I tend to keep to the edge of the fields. I have AF ( Atrial fibrillation) an the area is hilly in parts I run out of steam . also takes its toll. I just wonder If members used it to there advantage. What is the drone model you use do you have a link? 

well you do not need a licence for that one as it is only 249g

1 hour ago, Marka11 said:

**** mate AF my mother has that bloody hell you take care fella can understand why you don’t want walk much apologise for my comment about walking around I use a FImi A3 go on YouTube type in Andyrc and fimi a3 he’s a mate of mine I fly with he does reviews knows his stuff regarded as one of the best drone guys in the country for programming them etc

Marka11 no need to apologise you did't know. I've had it since I was in my thirty's. I'm now 59 an it can really drag you down. But I enjoy my shooting and getting out.  I will certainly take a look at the drones an check out those videos on you tube. 

Thanks

Just now, HAYBURN said:

Marka11 no need to apologise you did't know. I've had it since I was in my thirty's. I'm now 59 an it can really drag you down. But I enjoy my shooting and getting out.  I will certainly take a look at the drones an check out those videos on you tube. 

Thanks

I know it can drag you down but keep getting out there matey enjoying your shooting

• 2 weeks later...

A pair of binoculars would serve you just as well and not need the cost of new batteries every few years. Drone batteries are not cheap and they lose their ability to recharge after a few years. Using them infrequently is worse than using them regularly. They are good fun, but are a photographic tool really. be aware that birds of prey don't like them and do have a go, so do seagulls and crows!

On 02/03/2022 at 13:23, HAYBURN said:

I apologise if this has been covered before. I was on Y/T the other day and came across videos on drones. I was very impressed at the size of the drone  and the quality of the video. It got me thinking .Does anyone on here use a drone on there shooting permission ?  My permission (fields)  are split in different areas on the same farm. would it be any good for checking fields, crop damage, vermin location etc.

What are the advantages if any ?

I have a decent drone that I use for when I am out shooting, plus I use it for other purposes. 

They save you doing alot of walking and you get a bigger picture.

Atb

Mart

On 17/03/2022 at 17:43, mmamonster said:

I have a decent drone that I use for when I am out shooting, plus I use it for other purposes. 

They save you doing alot of walking and you get a bigger picture.

Atb

Mart

yes you get a bigger picture and It would save a lot of walking .I've had my permission for 7 years an there are parts I have never been to 

for different reasons.