Audi A3

countryman

Brought one of these for a runabout for me and the wife, it’s an s line 1.4 petrol, done about 35,000 miles 12 plate. Car drives really nice but it seems to smoke from the exhaust even when up to running temperature, white smoke, looks like condensation but it’s always there when you throttle up or reverse for some reason, it’s not using any water and the dip stick oil looks fine, has anyone had one of these and was it the same, there does seem a few cases on line with this but no real outcome. I brought it from a garage and they are going to have a look at it next week.

Thanks

chris

9 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Chris - 35k on a 10 year old car is possibly lack of use !

it needs getting up to operating temperature and then a proper thrashing!

I would guess condensation in the exhaust ! 

Agriv8

Yes I did think maybe the car has been standing a lot, it’s a 1 owner car, I will give it a blast up and down the motorway see if that helps.

Thanks

I have the same engine in a a1. When I bought it I had the same thing and it had stood for a year through the pandemic. Garage replaced a gas sensor of some sort and told me to take it out for a good run. Nothing from it since. Its an amazingly frugal engine. 

2 hours ago, oowee said:

I have the same engine in a a1. When I bought it I had the same thing and it had stood for a year through the pandemic. Garage replaced a gas sensor of some sort and told me to take it out for a good run. Nothing from it since. Its an amazingly frugal engine. 

A gas sensor, I will look that up, I gave the car a burn out to day but it’s still smoking, I think it has been standing for a while , if your driving normal it’s fine it’s when you pull away from a junction or reverse for some reason you get a cloud of white smoke.