Enhancing stock

Bungle The Bear

Have you considered doing it yourself?

i got a BERNADELLI SxS 1976 Royal Merlin on a whim. Stock was like toffee apple coating .....horrible, really really horrible.

got a Slippery ( swear filter will remove it so ) abbreviation of Richards Gun finish kit.

followed his Online video and it looks mint. I get at least two favourable comments every time I take it out. Tried the Napier London Stock Finish on another one.  Again a really good result but I prefer the "Slippery" one

as bought

FullSizeRender.jpg.7f3d213f6b44925d6d3d8c82b52997f4.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg.7f3d213f6b44925d6d3d8c82b52997f4.jpg

stripped

P

Finished

FullSizeRender.jpg.a2ddc08e4c05fcbdc664687ffd6b53f1.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Edited by Diver One

Well in one sense plain guns are what they are. Form follows function gives it a quality of its own.

Compare for example the AYA Yeoman (upper) plain AYA No3 (lower). Both boxlock non-ejectors but to my mind the plain gun is the better gun as it is the more "honest" gun. I've always held that a gun should either be totally plain....like the Yeoman and my late father's Henry Clarke or totally engraved and engraved with quality like my the classic full cover Boss or Purdey "house style". Anything in between suggests that the original purchaser couldn't afford to have the job more than a quarter done or half done. 

It's why when I recently went to auction for an AYA ejector as a gun for steel shot use I bought the cheaper (and less common) Yeoman Ejector rather than the same maker's No4.

But back to the OP's quest. I have in the past more out of experimentation rather than any attempt at "passing off" simply stripped the stock of its existing finish and made sure there was no stock oil and used a permanent black marker pen. Then just oil finished the stock. And you'd be surprised to know that "inked" stocks and more so "inked" wooden stock lengthening pieces are more common that you'd think!

Yeoman.jpg

No3.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares