Pneumonia & Shingles Vaccination

fern01

7 minutes ago, fern01 said:

I know these are pretty nasty things to have and have been offered a jab by my GP

Has anyone on here had this and if so were there any side effects?

Had a Pneumonia vaccine a few months ago with no side effects whatsoever.

12 minutes ago, snow white said:

Watch the shingles jab as it’s a live sell I would not have it me self I refused it

Yes and no. There are two types are available. The single dose vaccine is live but weakened. The double dose vaccine is non live. The live one  could give you chicken pox but it happens with one in 10,000 individuals...If you're really concerned, chat to the doc and ask for the double jab Shingrix, not the single jab Zostavax.

Heard of it but never really knew what shingles ARE, but just looked it up and all i can say is get the JAb. I am going to enquire in the morning see what criteria i must meet to qualify for shingles jab.

1 minute ago, chrisjpainter said:

Yes and no. There are two types are available. The single dose vaccine is live but weakened. The double dose vaccine is non live. The live one  could give you chicken pox but it happens with one in 10,000 individuals...If you're really concerned, chat to the doc and ask for the double jab Shingrix, not the single jab Zostavax.

Thanks for that insight.

My local medical centre is offering the shingles vaccination to the over 70's. I had chickenpox as a kid and shingles in my 30's. It was very, very painful about on par with the gout I'm now suffering with. It seems once the herpes virus is in you it can occur again with serious consequences as you get older. I had my jab a fortnight ago without any side effects. 

I'd recommend having it if its offered to you. 

I know several people who have had the pneumonia vaccine.  All have had no ill effects.

I don't knowingly know anyone who has had the shingles vaccine but do know a few who have had shingles.  Whilst it can vary a lot in severity, most I know have had a pretty rough time, and mild cases seem to be the lucky minority.  It also seems to take a long time to fully recover.

7 hours ago, PhilR said:

about on par with the gout I'm now suffering with.

You have my sympathy.   I know very well just how painful it can be.  I find colchicine (prescription only) helps me.

The two dose Shingles vaccine may not be available to you. My GP surgery only offered the single dose. Vaccinated with Pneumococcal and Shingles vaccine - one of which gives local discomfort for a day or two. The nurse's preamble will explain that neither vaccine is a guarantee to prevent infection but may modify/reduce affects if you do contract one or other.

58 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I know several people who have had the pneumonia vaccine.  All have had no ill effects.

I don't knowingly know anyone who has had the shingles vaccine but do know a few who have had shingles.  Whilst it can vary a lot in severity, most I know have had a pretty rough time, and mild cases seem to be the lucky minority.  It also seems to take a long time to fully recover.

You have my sympathy.   I know very well just how painful it can be.  I find colchicine (prescription only) helps me.

I've just started a course of colchicine, hopefully that will reduce the pain. I don't get regular gout attacks, the last was several years ago so my GP is reluctant to start me on a course of daily medication for it. 

Just now, PhilR said:

I've just started a course of colchicine, hopefully that will reduce the pain. I don't get regular gout attacks, the last was several years ago so my GP is reluctant to start me on a course of daily medication for it. 

I am much the same - they don't want to put me on Allopurinol at present, but I do keep a reserve supply of Colchicine, which I use about once a year.

29 minutes ago, snow white said:

I forgot to say I had shingles back in 1994 not very pleasant but I am not having a jab 

I have crohn’s so I don’t have a very good immune system so have to watch what medication I take

They'd offer you the double jab one then. It's specifically for people with weakened immune system

Just now, snow white said:

No I was only offered the single one but when I was told about it being live jab I was not having it anyway 

That's poor form on their account. It's probably wise on your part to avoid the live one with your immune system. But the whole reason for making sure there's a non-live one is for people in your situation. 

Hello, I had the pneumococcal injection several years ago after being hospitalised with pneumonia. No after effects whatsoever and very grateful to NHS. I was told this is a one off vaccine ,as I am over 65.  I haven't any knowledge of shingles, but I personally will accept any advice from GP's and consultants to safeguard my well being. ( Please don't listen to bar room lawyers and conspiracy theorists on such an important matter) regards

Just now, benbobailey said:

I was told this is a one off vaccine ,as I am over 65.

I haven't had the pneumonia vaccine - but was offered it (privately when I used to get 'flu jabs privately from Boots).  It was quite expensive (from recollection around £100) but I was told it was a "1 off".

3 minutes ago, benbobailey said:

but I personally will accept any advice from GP's and consultants to safeguard my well being.

+1 (and I get a lot as I have several Dr. friends and 2 Dr's in immediate family!)