Sacks for the sack race

ehb102

As title. Where does one find hessian sacks these days? I'm organising a Jubilee event for my footie kids. All that's going on around here is about sitting down and eating, so we're looking to do lots of active things, races and games. I want an old fashioned sack race but I refuse to pay Etsy prices for a hand made sack. Everything seems to come in paper or plastic sacks these days. Help me please, PW. 

29 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

As title. Where does one find hessian sacks these days? I'm organising a Jubilee event for my footie kids. All that's going on around here is about sitting down and eating, so we're looking to do lots of active things, races and games. I want an old fashioned sack race but I refuse to pay Etsy prices for a hand made sack. Everything seems to come in paper or plastic sacks these days. Help me please, PW. 

Post Office mail bags turned inside out like the ones I use for wood pigeons?

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Off you go then, how many hundredweight sacks of spuds are you going to order?

My dad gets through 25kg every quarter, but he's just been told to lose weight so I've confiscated his tatties for the potato race. 

3 minutes ago, 243deer said:

Can get you plenty of baler twine - just tie ankles and knees - that should wear the little darlings out a bit

Three legged race is on the agenda. We may use scarves, but I like the idea of baler twine for a regular weekend. 

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You evil woman!  :w00t:

So you have a sack, will you have to make it a relay race?  :cool1:

I think you'd need six for a race and possibly a few more for spares. I could buy some, but where's the tradition in that? More important, everything costs so I'll run out of budget soon.

23 hours ago, Old farrier said:

I believe peanuts come to wholesale suppliers in hessian sacks 

you could try local pet shop garden centre 

Tend to be plastic hessian these days, has a weave to though.

Tug of war is good, not very active but seriously competitive 

38 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Tug of war is good, not very active but seriously competitive 

Definitely! Just so the girls can have a go at it.  They don't get any fun stuff at Sports Day any more. No three legged race either.

18 hours ago, mel b3 said:

If you can get some suitable fabric , lin would be happy to sew it in to sacks for you . She wouldn't charge anything if its for kids 👍.

That is super lovely, thank Lin for me! I think that the price of postage back and forward would probably offset it, but if it's a roaring success and I want to invest in heritage sack racing sacks I may come back to you on that. 

2 hours ago, ehb102 said:

Definitely! Just so the girls can have a go at it.  They don't get any fun stuff at Sports Day any more. No three legged race either.

That is super lovely, thank Lin for me! I think that the price of postage back and forward would probably offset it, but if it's a roaring success and I want to invest in heritage sack racing sacks I may come back to you on that. 

Would it be worth trying at your local corn merchants , tell them the situation and if successful it might get a mention in your local paper and could even end up with them sponsoring the event :good: