Handicap system

Old farrier

Hi 

This has probably been covered before 

however 

could someone explain in simple terms how you get classified and how many targets advantage a B would have over a AA class shot 

AA

AAA

Noticed there’s a few new clay shooters on the forum and thought it might help them 

many thanks 

OF 

The rules are quite complex and if it’s best if folks consult the CPSA rules below.

The first thing to say though, is that it’s NOT a handicap system where shooters of lower ability ‘get targets’ …

More of a way of grouping similar abilities together to allow more folks a bit of glory when they shoot well.

There’s always a lot of bellyaching about it .. but difficult to improve it in practice.

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/classifications/what-are-classifications

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

The rules are quite complex and if it’s best if folks consult the CPSA rules below.

The first thing to say though, is that it’s NOT a handicap system where shooters of lower ability ‘get targets’ …

More of a way of grouping similar abilities together to allow more folks a bit of glory when they shoot well.

There’s always a lot of bellyaching about it .. but difficult to improve it in practice.

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/classifications/what-are-classifications

Thank you for the info 

it seems a fairly complicated process 🤔👍

The CPSA System is not great, but it is all there is.

When World Sporting started up it was meant to even up the playing field, once you had shot several competitions, you were given a number of targets to bring you up to the leaders. Good idea but it never worked!

Consequently it has died out and the existing CPSA System continues.

You join the CPSA and shoot registered competitions whether at Competition level or Targets Only. When you've shot several in any one discipline you are averaged and put in to a class. AAA, AA,A,B and C in the domestic disciplines. You then shoot within that class against others of a similar level until the next classification period starts and you may well go up a class if you have shot well.

Every shoot after that is averaged and added to your building records. If you choose to shoot other disciplines then you will build a ranking in that discipline..

If you were to go to a Major Championship without a classification you would be awarded one on the day taken from your score over several different stands that are not published.

As with any system it is NOT infallible, there are some interesting anomalies but overall it is the best we have.

Cpsa classifications have been a bone of contention for many years but, as has been said already, the system works broadly and its the only one we have!

At least it allows anyone with a Cpsa membership to shoot registered competitions, including national championships, where they can shoot alongside world champions. I can’t think of any other sport where you can do that.

I also think the cpsa ought to have another look at the age categories. I am well into super vet territory but cpsa only recognise that in a limited amount of events. You only have to look at the general age of shooters and there are many around still shooting in their 70's and beyond. 

7 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

I also think the cpsa ought to have another look at the age categories. I am well into super vet territory but cpsa only recognise that in a limited amount of events. You only have to look at the general age of shooters and there are many around still shooting in their 70's and beyond. 

Yes but if there are only one or two of you at that age they will not add another category.

13 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Don't know where you shoot, but I would say the largest group of shooters I see are all well into 60 and beyond.

Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire mainly.

Yes there are lots of old buffers around, but not enough to warrant further category's.

Just now, Old farrier said:

But surely you count the game birds as you shoot them ?

Or you wouldn’t know when to stop and end up shooting far more than your share 🙄

Yes, I try to know how many down each drive.

My share is what flies over me . One regular team mate calls me “Magnet”.

12 hours ago, London Best said:

If anyone is counting scores then I don’t want to shoot there,

Not caring if you hit something is a surprising attitude for such an accomplished game shot … surely wanting to cleanly kill everything you raise your gun to is a mindset thing that should pervade both disciplines?

11 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Not caring if you hit something is a surprising attitude for such an accomplished game shot … surely wanting to cleanly kill everything you raise your gun to is a mindset thing that should pervade both disciplines?

The thing is, I am totally non-competitive and if I am shooting clays it is only ever pay and play, with the emphasis on the play.

19 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire mainly.

Yes there are lots of old buffers around, but not enough to warrant further category's.

Just looked at the last OT reg event at Beverley. 46 shooters, 9 super vets just short of 20 %

UT also shows similar ratio, I would also guess DTL would be even higher if classified that way.

1 hour ago, TRINITY said:

Just looked at the last OT reg event at Beverley. 46 shooters, 9 super vets just short of 20 %

UT also shows similar ratio, I would also guess DTL would be even higher if classified that way.

Yes Trap disciplines are for the older shooter.

No need to wander around a full ESP course.

When i started clay shooting i joined CPSA with an interest in entering competition, i entered a few to see what it was all about. 

The 2nd time i entered an open i started to see how important winning was to the competitors, using 1/2 a dozen cards and handing in the best one for that particular stand. I made the decision there and then that winning really didn't mean that much to me and i never entered another again. 

I just think that its sad that some folk in sport need to cheat to win, had all the barracking and cheating in darts matches donkey's years ago could never understand it then.