RFD transfer protocol question

TK421

I have a question with regards to the transfer of a new shotgun to my local RFD. The question relates to when the shotgun arrives at the local RFD and what happens when handed over. 

The reason I ask is I’ve had varying experiences with different RFDs. 
On one occasion the RFD had unpacked my new and put my gun together which I wasn’t best pleased about and there was damage to the gun.

On another occasion the shotgun was left sealed in the factory box with outer paperwork still attached after secure delivery from factory, presented my license all confirmed and I was on my way. 

I have a premium shotgun inbound and due to the manufacturer only wanting to use RFD,s who are on account I’ve had to have it sent to my ‘not preferred’ RFD. Do they have a legal requirement to open the gun up? What is it they have to do?
The last time this happened I had an issue with an unknown mark on the gun which ended up with neither side taking ownership. 

What are your own experiences with this and what is the default protocol for an RFD handover. 

Thanks advance guys 

Edited by TK421

1 minute ago, vmaxphil said:

Contact the dealer and ask them not to open it, then open it when you get there and inspect for damage in front of them 

is there actually any legal right to have to open the thing at all? personally i want to grab the box and leave the place as quick as possible to be fair.

2 minutes ago, vmaxphil said:

Not sure, might be to check serial numbers match your certificate 

that's what i thought, but as it arrives secure delivery from registered transfer from another RFD is there any need for them to even handle it? paperwork on the outer should be enough?

7 minutes ago, vmaxphil said:

Contact the dealer and ask them not to open it, then open it when you get there and inspect for damage in front of them 

^^^This, open it in the RFD, inspect the purchase with the RFD representative watching, so you have a witness.

5-10 minutes, is not going to make any difference to your day.

As to a legal right to open the package, I don't know the answer, but as has already been said, surely they have to check the serial number matches before handing it over

9 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

^^^This, open it in the RFD, inspect the purchase with the RFD representative watching, so you have a witness.

5-10 minutes, is not going to make any difference to your day.

As to a legal right to open the package, I don't know the answer, but as has already been said, surely they have to check the serial number matches before handing it over

I totally hear what you're saying, but as mentioned what are the legal requirements as if they don't have to open the box aint nothing quicker than showing license and leaving the place. don't really want to get into the whys and wherefores of why i don't even want to step foot in the place, but its just one of those shops you don't want to go in because the owner is a complete ______. Fill in the blank with whatever you want. The guy knows everything about everything, and thinks its ok to over charge for everything and i mean everything, its his business he can do what he wants, but the guy ripped me off on my very first RFD charging me £75 for an inbound RFD, when my preferred shop (and everyone else around) charges £25 and you get a brew as well.

Just my preference, i had no real say in where it is being sent too so i have to suck it up, just don't want to be in there any longer than i have to. there is more to the story, but to mention it on here would only throw light on the actual RFD and im not into doing that.

Edited by TK421

RFD needs to check serial number and book the gun in (within 24 hours with me)

What is printed/written on the delivery note or box isn't always what's in the box.

Imagine the fallout if you got the gun home and the serial number didn't match your certificate. The RFD has just handed you a gun which isn't on your cert.

You'll just have to grit your teeth while the gun is unpacked and inspected.

Edd

45 minutes ago, eddoakley said:

RFD needs to check serial number and book the gun in (within 24 hours with me)

What is printed/written on the delivery note or box isn't always what's in the box.

Imagine the fallout if you got the gun home and the serial number didn't match your certificate. The RFD has just handed you a gun which isn't on your cert.

You'll just have to grit your teeth while the gun is unpacked and inspected.

Edd

Exactly this many years ago I had ordered a new shotgun the dealer never opened the box just wrote the serial number that was on the outside.I brought the gun took it home And never checked the serial number of the shogun against my ticket.Then 2 years later at renewal I got an absolute grilling I nearly lost my ticket because of it all and It took bloody ages to rectify 😣.

I can understand how you feel about them opening it and putting it together I’ve felt the same way many times.But as mentioned just ask them if you can open the box and put it together soon as it arrives I’m sure they will be fine about it.

3 minutes ago, Green hornet said:

Exactly this many years ago I had ordered a new shotgun the dealer never opened the box just wrote the serial number that was on the outside.I brought the gun took it home And never checked the serial number of the shogun against my ticket.Then 2 years later at renewal I got an absolute grilling I nearly lost my ticket because of it all and It took bloody ages to rectify 😣.

I can understand how you feel about them opening it and putting it together I’ve felt the same way many times.But as mentioned just ask them if you can open the box and put it together soon as it arrives I’m sure they will be fine about it.

All makes perfect sense, I guess I’m just a bit ****ed that they’re even involved. They will however absolutely have an issue with me putting my own gun together in the shop as they’re a pedantic bunch of BLANKs 😂 

I know all this sounds trivial to some but when you’ve just spent substantial amount of money on a brand new shotgun and it’s being delivered to bodge it and scarper down the road, you can’t help but be a little bit apprehensive about its handling by the RFD. 
I will request that they don’t open or touch the gun until I’m on site and I will do the inspection in there presence. 

thanks guys, just nervous venting that’s all 

The benefit of them opening before you get there is if they are reputable they can ensure it is the right SN, check for damage, put it together and make sure it's all "good for sale". If there are faults they should be able to return it to save you the effort of coming to the store, so in most respects it is the best thing in your favour.

As for damage on collection, I'd say that's outside of the norm surely? But if you're "happy" to travel there and potentially walk away without a gun then that's your best option.

6 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

The benefit of them opening before you get there is if they are reputable they can ensure it is the right SN, check for damage, put it together and make sure it's all "good for sale". If there are faults they should be able to return it to save you the effort of coming to the store, so in most respects it is the best thing in your favour.

As for damage on collection, I'd say that's outside of the norm surely? But if you're "happy" to travel there and potentially walk away without a gun then that's your best option.

For clarity, I already own this gun, it’s brand new coming direct from manufacturer. The RFD has nothing to do with the sale of this gun and only being used as they’re part of the dealer network and are on account. They are merely a conduit for the transfer of the gun to me.

I’ll bite my bottom lip and get it sorted when it arrives. Thanks for the advise chaps

1 minute ago, Fellside said:

Is it possible for the gun to arrive at a different supplier’s RFD account? Perhaps worth extra driving time if you’ve lost trust in the RFD in question. 

This was the other option, my regular guy isn’t on account with them so there would be a charge involved. It’s ok, I’m sure everything will be fine as long as I’m present when they show me the gun that will do. I’ll just have to ignore the guys missing teeth and misspelt tattoo’s 😂 

3 minutes ago, TK421 said:

For clarity, I already own this gun, it’s brand new coming direct from manufacturer. The RFD has nothing to do with the sale of this gun and only being used as they’re part of the dealer network and are on account. They are merely a conduit for the transfer of the gun to me.

I’ll bite my bottom lip and get it sorted when it arrives. Thanks for the advise chaps

This was the other option, my regular guy isn’t on account with them so there would be a charge involved. It’s ok, I’m sure everything will be fine as long as I’m present when they show me the gun that will do. I’ll just have to ignore the guys missing teeth and misspelt tattoo’s 😂 

Good luck - hope it works out. 

27 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

The RFD is required to physically check the serial number on the gun not box and book the gun into there ledger and check it’s been proofed. 

As long as they do that in my presence all will be well. 

33 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

You will need to get there in their timeline to do that.  I wouldn’t offer it as a service. 

Of course, I’ll call them as soon as I see the tracking has landed with them. 
Out of interest, can I ask what you charge for an inbound RFD?

Edited by TK421

32 minutes ago, smokingdragon said:

The last 2 occaisions that I've bought 2nd hand shotguns, the RFD asked me to open them up in my and then adds the serial to his ledger. Cost is about £25 in south wales

That’s fine if the customer turns up in a timely fashion a week or two is not unusual the record here is 11 months!