Sub sonic - High velocity

1 minute ago, humperdingle said:

It would be interesting to see the results off a bench rest 

I plan to do this next time. Although I used a bench, the rifle wasn't really supported, and I intend to use a better rifle rest, in better weather conditions. 

On 07/03/2022 at 20:00, Whitebridges said:

When I don't use either the .204 or .17hmr on longer range corvids I use these. Far far and away the best HV .22LR round i've tried. 

It will depend on your gun. I use an Anschutz or a Sako.

197_731.jpg  

My .204 (Howa 1500 heavy barrel) is my go to rifle for long range ground feeding corvids. An excellent hard hitting flat shooting calibre.

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/03/2022 at 08:45, Newbie to this said:

Be careful using stingers in the M&P some models have a warning specifically about using stingers. Can't remember what models though.

I know this thread isn't about that rifle, but just in case.

Hi - the issue with CCI Stingers arises when using the S&W Performance Center version of the M&P 15-22. Chamber tolerances are tighter and the CCI Stinger is a fractionally longer round than a "regular" .22LR cartridge. Stingers are fine in standard M&P 15-22s.

Interesting article! Some of the things that have worked for me in my CZ 457 that improve accuracy are:

1. Stop cleaning after every shooting outing - Just clean if you know your are putting the gun away for a long time. A dirty .22LR seems to shoot better. If you can't break the cleaning habit, then take several "fouling shots" before actual shooting. 

2. Try SK RED ammo - I usually get a single ragged hole (or at least a tight 1" cluster) shooting from a bench outdoors at 50M. It seems to work very well in my CZ and it also cycles in my M&P 15-22.

3. Use quad shooting sticks if shooting from a standing position - I have a set of Viper-Flex quad sticks that amazed me when I first used them. Up until that point I had used a variety of bipod and tripod sticks and thought the quad stick approach was as gimmicky as an extra blade on a three bladed razor - I was totally wrong! They are almost as good as a bench and make a very stable shooting platform.

4. Use a scope with "zeroing" turrets if using multiple ammo types - If you use a scope with a resettable turret you can reset the turrets to read "0" once it's dialled in for your regular, usual ammo choice. When you then re-zero with your second ammo choice, just note the variation from the reset zero. When your finished with the second ammo choice you can just dial back to zero on each turret.

These are things that seem to work for me so perhaps worth a try!

On 30/03/2022 at 16:17, Rim Fire said:

Hi Steve i use same rifle as you and find these group well t20220330_161125.jpg.ef6e6b232470853dee0ffa8223ca1bc4.jpg

To be honest if them others group like that at 40 leave them alone

I haven't tried sub sonics in the rifle yet as it was bought for HV. I use Win subs in my CZ 452 and have done for the past 25+ years. Always found them to be good.