Suffolk Punch lawnmower

I read that if you cut grass and leave it on the grass it will do the grass good in the long term. So thought to myself I'd dig out the old Suffolk punch lawnmower that's not been used for a few years at least.

With the tank filled with new petrol I "tickled" the carburettor and blow me it started first pull. I left it ticking over for 10 minutes to warm upl as I'd planned to change the oil. 

I lifted the mower onto a couple of pallets and drained the oil. With the drain plug replaced I opened the filler expecting to find an oil level dipstick like on my Honda Izy. Perhaps I'm missing something but how are you supposed to check the oil level and how much oil to refill with?

I can see some searches ont tinternet unless someone has one and can give some tips.

I also need to find a video on how to sharpen the blades if anyone knows of one 🤔 

I will put some pictures up tomorrow if anyone's interested 🤪 

Thanks 👍 

18 minutes ago, ditchman said:

blades are self sharpening.......lower the cylinder onto the bottom knife

Really 🤔 thanks I will have a look 👍 I will take some pictures tomorrow and see if we can sort it.

2 minutes ago, wisdom said:

On mine it's filled level to the bottom of the filler.Ditchman is correct about self sharpening.

I have never had mine done.Its all down to correct adjustment.

Thanks I will get it out again tomorrow 👍

9 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, does it have a oil level plug on side of engine 🤔

I didn't see one 😕 🤔

1 minute ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Really 🤔 thanks I will have a look 👍 I will take some pictures tomorrow and see if we can sort it.

Thanks I will get it out again tomorrow 👍

I didn't see one 😕 🤔

the plug should be right at the bottom plate...might have a 1/2" square head.......they never make it easy to get at

Given that the Punch oiling system is a very crude splasher attached to the conrod, no pump involved, I would think that about 1/4 pint of oil would do it.

However, as the last time that I stripped down a Punch was when I was in my early teens, you might want to take in a few more views. 🤣

I dont know anything about these mechanically wise apart from my dad used to have one back in the 60s, a metal grass box, a clutch thing at the bottom that used to drive the roller and a round pudding shaped fuel tank. And it used to put lovely stripes on the lawn. 

21 minutes ago, amateur said:

Given that the Punch oiling system is a very crude splasher attached to the conrod, no pump involved, I would think that about 1/4 pint of oil would do it.

However, as the last time that I stripped down a Punch was when I was in my early teens, you might want to take in a few more views. 🤣

👍👍👍🤣🤣🤣

15 hours ago, amateur said:

👍👍👍🤣🤣🤣

Screenshot_20220309-122118_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220309-122107_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220309-122058_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220309-122048_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220309-122038_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220309-122029_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220309-122021_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, amateur said:

One litre of cheapest 20W-50 supermarket oil will work fine.

Just put in 1/3 litre - it will be near enough

Without seeing your post, I have earlier put 300ml of semi synthetic in. Tesco a few years back were selling it off at 50p per litre so I had the last half dozen. I am about to nick a new sponge scourer from under the sink to make an air filter as the one that's in is manky.

Next job is to investigate how to adjust the blades to make it cut better.

Edited by harrycatcat1
Spelling

I have half a memory that the shearing blade underneath has some adjusting screws and I also seem to remember using valve grinding paste and turning the blades backwards to sharpen then, having previously taken any dings off with a fine file, but again, this is dredging up memories from at least 55 years ago.

I think pics are the key here.

My drain plug is a 1/2" square but the filler is on the back of the engine.Thats where I set the level to.

From your picture.The centre square one is the drain plug.To the left of it is the filler.Just fill to above the bottom of the neck.Thats what I do with mine.Its a later model but essentially the same.

The blades are sharpened on a lathe 👍. You can’t do it any other way .

we used to run a lawnmower business and it’s a proper lathe grinder . The bottom blade was also sharpened on the same kit.

just googling this image has put the smell back in my lungs 😂.

The colt was a 12” and punch were 14&17”.

The most common problem was people didn’t have the 2 blades touching as they hated the noise but that’s how it cuts. 

seeing in the pics you have a black engine . Those were the rare ones as the engines had a issue so you’ve done amazing.

you can’t beat an old colt /punch , Atco , Webb’s . I wish I had one 

0A6FBD18-0E3D-4AAE-92D6-39B55BC8C708.png