Child safe wood finish

impala59

A72C6584-1D3C-46BC-9936-FE12155FC3DB.jpeg.b4afe3a3774707449f9094ea36149ed3.jpegI am making some wooden toys (first one in the rough, a slightly strange push along waddle duck) for my niece who will be one in June. I would like a natural finish but am unsure what to use. My preferred finish for my own stuff is Danish oil which I use for gun stocks and guitars but is it suitable for a one year old? 
PW usual solid advice please !

You can eat beeswax as people do when they eat honey in the comb.

An even better option in my opinion is to mix chopping board oil and beeswax to make your own food safe wax in a 4 to 1 ratio.

That’s 4 parts chopping board oil to 1 part beeswax.

Heat them gently in a Bain Marie until the beeswax melts. Pour into containers and let it cool. Wax finished.

Just rub it in to the wood, leave it for a few hours then gently buff. It will be absorbed in to the wood, so apply a couple on more coats. Refresh as necessary.

There are loads of videos on YouTube showing you how to make it.

Just about finished, I used a light coat of Osmo yellow that I forgot I had, to give it a childs duck colour, then a coat of beeswax. I had cut the basic detailing with my checkering veiner, but decided to highlight with a sharpie before waxing. Flappy feet are from an offcut of orange leather (amazing the things you find when rummaging the shed!) The axle is steel through a brass bushing with M6 nylocs and plastic dome covers superglued on. A bit of hardwood dowel and another scrap for the handle ("you had to put a pistol grip on it!" said 'er indoors) Made basically with nothing but some 20mm offcuts of chopping board ash and other bits and bobs laying around I hope it will please a one year old

duck.jpg.115dc551160cbb727c69e42f588aeaa1.jpg

Very nice toy.

I remember our daughters playing with wooden wheeled pull-along dogs as toddlers and loving them.

I did make a wheeled trolley and stackable decorated wooden bricks for our elder girl's first birthday.

• 2 weeks later...

Tinkering in the garage today and with some scrap ply, a bit of a scaffold board and lopping 8" off my overlong yard broom, I knocked up this rocking horse to go with the duck for my niece. My neighbour commented on how unusual to make a rocking fox! So, fox it is! I will have to brush up on my drawing skills! I guess a fox is more appropriate for PW though! I suppose a one year old will not notice the difference anyway. A bit of sanding to do then decide on finish, I may paint this one so will have to sort out some non toxic paint.

foxhorse.jpg.752b3e06641924c4fbf1bcae6fa6f5ef.jpg

Edited by impala59