Making a crook

boo

Morning, just finished a rams horn crook , it nearly ended up in the bin , been using left over horn from the old man , now know why it's left over! So first get horn ! Then need to clean it up , flatten then begin bulking , took a week on / off to do this , pic shows bulking blocks & home made press 

20220309_115520.jpg

20220309_115503.jpg

Edited by boo
Start topic again

Wow ! Saved to jpeg instead, seems to work , horn being bulked, slow process of squeezing up with heat , slowly working down blocks to form a solid piece, gain a couple of inches in length, once bulked, put on a bending jig to form basic shape, then onto a former to attain the Shape you want as in the picture,  once formed  needs straightening up so top is pretty true 

Screenshot_20220309-145900_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220309-145915_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220309-145927_Gallery.jpg

Once nose sorted, find suitable shank, this is hazel , I fitted a piece of 8mm stud into handle& fitted a couple of spacers to increase the heel length , then drilled the shank , next jointing, chalk I find is your Friend,  offer the top up to the shank for best fit ,Mark a line through top& shank as a reference point, then use chalk as an interface showing high spots on join , keep gently removing high spots to achieve a good fit & no gapping, when happy glue up ! I use an inner tube to pull everything together 

Screenshot_20220309-151925_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220309-151932_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220309-151938_Gallery.jpg

Once glued up, take the top down to the shank, don't go mad  checking for lines , get the inside line sorted rest will follow, when happy ,sand back , scrape& wet/dry to finish, I gently closed up the nose as well for asthetics, fit ferrule, it pulls up tight when tapped on , then finish the stick with your choice of finish, it's got a couple of light cracks,but makes an OK stick , considering I was going to bin it at one point 

Screenshot_20220309-152706_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220309-152712_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220309-152730_Gallery.jpg