Fuel cost. Help

Nitram xx

41 minutes ago, oowee said:

You just spoiled the dream 😞

I wouldn't say the village next to ours where I do my Pigeon shooting is remote but when I worked there the villages had to get the Bus mid morning on a Thursday and it returned about 4 pm in the afternoon , that was the only bus till the following Thursday , if you wanted to go to Great Yarmouth which was six miles away  , you had to get that same bus to Lowertoft then change bus to Yarmouth and then you had to be back at the bus station at Lowertoft by 3,30 to get the bus home again ,  :lol:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, oowee said:

£35? that's good. So much nicer to sit on a train drink a coffee or two and read the paper or a decent book. Nice journey that one too. 

When we bought the place in Cornwall I was very careful to choose somewhere close to a main line station. Prices vary tremendously but I have become adept at using the Trainline App plus I have a senior railcard which gets me a third off.

The best times to travel is usually middle of the day in the middle of the week. Weekends they have rail replacement buses usually somewhere along the route because thats when they do scheduled maintenance.

I take a flask (train coffee is awful) and a sandwich (train food ditto) plus a book or mag and my headphones.. I book a seat with a table and a plug.

Best price I have ever got was £26 but £35ish is average. Why drive for 5 hours?  

1 hour ago, London Best said:

And at each end of the journey someone has to drop off/collect you by car.

No, in Cornwall the station is 0.9 miles from where I live, so I can walk, but there are three buses that stop right outside where I live and they all go to the station because that is where the bus station is too. I can track them live in real time on the bus app and my London Freedom Pass works on the Cornish Buses so I travel free .

When I get into Paddington I can get the underground train to Farringdon and the ThamesLink train home. Again all free thanks to my Freedom Pass. Otherwise it would be £4.60 if I had to buy a ticket

I've just been reading an article and apparently Brent crude oil has dropped 17% as Opec has agreed to ramp up oil production, I wonder how long it takes to get to the pumps bearing in mind any increase was instantly added. 

I don't know how to add the link. 

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

I usually fill up every two weeks, Monday tge Sainsbury near me was 152.9, up to Barrow and Asda was 154 I think, it's gone up every day, 159.7 this morning!!

I'll bet its 160 when I fill up tomorrow. 

Ours is more or less the same , although in our paper this morning it stated one garage at Long Stratton in Norfolk was selling diesel yesterday at £1.99.9 at liter , that is as close as you will get to £2.00 with no signs of things getting any better .

17 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Ours is more or less the same , although in our paper this morning it stated one garage at Long Stratton in Norfolk was selling diesel yesterday at £1.99.9 at liter , that is as close as you will get to £2.00 with no signs of things getting any better .

Saudi have announced increase in supply. 

3 hours ago, Scully said:

I’m assuming that electricity used for charging vehicles will be taxed at the same rate as petrol/diesel? 

It will be done by road charging. That's the real reason behind all these smart motorways. When you drive along the motorway these days you will often see purple trunking running along beside the motorway on the verge.

That's to house the cabling for the charging cameras

2 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

It will be done by road charging. That's the real reason behind all these smart motorways. When you drive along the motorway these days you will often see purple trunking running along beside the motorway on the verge.

That's to house the cabling for the charging cameras

Interesting, so that would bring in fairer charging for road use then?

38 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Interesting, so that would bring in fairer charging for road use then?

They have to find another source of revenue. If we are all going to have electric cars they will lose the money they now get from fuel tax.

However, it raise interesting questions, will people avoid the motorways and the big A roads to escape having to pay? That will push a lot more traffic through the lanes and villages 

35 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

They have to find another source of revenue. If we are all going to have electric cars they will lose the money they now get from fuel tax.

However, it raise interesting questions, will people avoid the motorways and the big A roads to escape having to pay? That will push a lot more traffic through the lanes and villages 

Easy way - you get so much a year - then when you go for your MOT - you will get a bill for the mileage you have done - more than likely with a payment on account as well so you pay 6 months behind and ahead....

Until they have cars actually reporting in monthly how much you have done

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I doubt it’s going to be anything which affects me too much really. I’m 63 this year and seriously can’t see this happening in my lifetime. 

2 hours ago, Flyboy1950 said:

Just paid £1.59.7 per litre in ASDA Bristol, That equates to £7.25 per gallon in old money!.

FB

Shell garage in North Bristol.  Went from  £1.71  at 8 am today to £1.81 at 4 .30pm .

By contrast my local garage is  £1.59   for diesel