Decoys

steve_b_wales

3 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Hi Centrepin ... One of the cheapest ones I ever made and used were made out from off cutt of Grey plastic guttering , all you had to do was cut the head section out and paint the rest , these stacked on top of each other and like you I often left a dozen in a semi permanent hide , cost next to nothing to make and I must admit we often ordered a extra length just in case we got the measurements wrong when weighing the job up :lol:

I've seen ones made from guttering years ago, mostly unpainted and they very often worked like that. I did consider some crow ones in black gutter or drain pipe as I have some spare in garage, in the end I stuck with those above due to pack size and overall weight.

• 3 weeks later...

😊😊 all of this is like some sort of time warp back 40 or 50 years when there were sort of folded cardboard photo print decoys.  You'll soon be suggesting rolling bottles in ash or the Archie Coates boot insoles. Now... the most effective life like... movement wise decoys that I have ever seen were by Fife  shooting developments.  They were flimsy ABS shell thingys that were blunt headed, plain grey with a random white slash down the side of the neck and a dip black tail.  They were mounted on quarter dowels with a plastic arrow head shaped bit that went into a slot in the decoys back.  up close they didn't look like pigeons but from a distance they looked exactly like a flock of feeding,,,,  moving pigeons. So flimsy but deadly.   Gone into the mist of time past.

On 30/03/2022 at 19:33, marsh man said:

Hi Centrepin ... One of the cheapest ones I ever made and used were made out from off cutt of Grey plastic guttering , all you had to do was cut the head section out and paint the rest , these stacked on top of each other and like you I often left a dozen in a semi permanent hide , cost next to nothing to make and I must admit we often ordered a extra length just in case we got the measurements wrong when weighing the job up 

We used to make them out of plastic drain pipe too