The Endurance

SuperGoose75

I find it fascinating also, especially the remarkable condition of the ship bearing in mind it sunk just three years after the Titanic, which was in much worse condition when found quite a few years ago now. 
Wood obviously fairs much better than iron when immersed in salt water. 

10 hours ago, Scully said:

I find it fascinating also, especially the remarkable condition of the ship bearing in mind it sunk just three years after the Titanic, which was in much worse condition when found quite a few years ago now. 
Wood obviously fairs much better than iron when immersed in salt water. 

I saw this the other day, simply amazing. 

774900105_Screenshot_20220311-030659_SamsungInternet.jpg.47188fe644a3fbae75c8bb6b8f430f71.jpg

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/shackletons-lost-ship-endurance-found-in-antarctica-in-milestone-of-polar-history-12561406

Personally speaking, as someone who has been known to get a bit wet at times, I think it's amazing, truly fantastic.

ive dived wrecks that you didn't know where you were until a "bit of boat smacked you in the face". It's true testament to the skills of the ship builders

1 hour ago, Diver One said:

Personally speaking, as someone who has been known to get a bit wet at times, I think it's amazing, truly fantastic.

ive dived wrecks that you didn't know where you were until a "bit of boat smacked you in the face". It's true testament to the skills of the ship builders

Ditto.

It really is a thrill to descend down a line and see a large wreck come into view and then have the opportunity to explore it. My closest experience to Endurance were the many intact wrecks in Truk Lagoon. The main downside was that the wood eating micro organisms had done their damage as can be seen from the deposits in this engine room

Truk stills 1017.jpg

18 hours ago, samboy said:

I often watch these type of programmes. They must of been tough old boys in them days.

https://youtu.be/pOAcxUhu8TI

There is lots of interesting stuff on YouTube about the Antarctic explorations. The link above is the early plan's about searching for the wreck. Isn't technology amazing, coupled with what notes were made over a 100yrs ago.Just imagine the joy the search team had when they seen the images of what they were actually looking for. Better than winning the lottery for them I'd say.

As for tough old boy's, I'd say they didn't come much tougher. What them men did on the Shackleton expedition is nothing short of extraordinary. They must have been made of the same stuff or similiar,as  to what Kenzie Thorpe described his old fowling companion Kenneth/Toby Bromley- Every hair on his head was made of rope yarn and every drop of blood in his body was Stockholm tar.

To think that when Shackleton was recruiting for men, it was stated that possible safe return was doubtful says it all really.

Even modern day divers of wrecks must be made of stern stuff. It's not something I could do, the thought of going down into cold murky waters to search for wrecks sends a shiver down my spine.

Edited by SuperGoose75

The toughness of Scott's Northern party to Cape Adare would probably equal that of Shackleton's men.

Running a parallel expedition to Scott's South Pole expedition they were dropped off at Cape Adare in the summer and stranded with very little food when the Terra Nova could not get through the ice to pick them up later, so they survived the Antarctic winter by burrowing into a snow-drift, creating an igloo, and living mainly off frozen seal and penguins. When the Terra Nova still didn't pick them up in the spring, they walked back to Scott's base, fortunately finding some cached supplies along the way to find an empty hut, as the rest of Scott's party had gone to look for him.

Edited by amateur

11 hours ago, Mice! said:

Well there you go; every days a school day. Thanks for that. 👍

I think it’s a great shame there are no plans to raise the ship; it would certainly be something to see. 
Massive undertaking I know, but a shame nonetheless. 

44 minutes ago, Scully said:

Well there you go; every days a school day. Thanks for that. 👍

I think it’s a great shame there are no plans to raise the ship; it would certainly be something to see. 
Massive undertaking I know, but a shame nonetheless. 

I saw it posted the other day, they really were something else to go exploring the way they did with the equipment they had.

Finding the ship must have taken some doing as well.

1 hour ago, Pushandpull said:

I recall reading that Shackleton's name was revered among those who went south - even the post-war whalers (the last from U.K.) because of his leadership and the way he looked after his men. His book "South" is still worth your time.

Without doubt.

Having read about both Shackleton's and Scott's exploits, it has certainly killed any wish that I might have once had to visit Antarctica

3 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I saw it posted the other day, they really were something else to go exploring the way they did with the equipment they had.

Finding the ship must have taken some doing as well.

I think it said on the news the other night that the chief navigator deserved his place in history as the wreck was located just four miles from where he had logged it. That’s impressive in my book, given the tech’ they had, which in those days I’m sure was state of the art. 

7 hours ago, Bobba said:

Ditto.

It really is a thrill to descend down a line and see a large wreck come into view and then have the opportunity to explore it. My closest experience to Endurance were the many intact wrecks in Truk Lagoon. The main downside was that the wood eating micro organisms had done their damage as can be seen from the deposits in this engine room

Truk stills 1017.jpg

Scapa Flow is good, as is the S.S. Buitenzorg in Oban along with all of the deeper stuff in the Red Sea. I was a Trimix Instuctor with an open/Martini ticket ( any gas, anywhere, any depth ..to,within limits) but Cancer put an end to that. On the plus side I have a LOT of cylinders for my PCP

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I think it said on the news the other night that the chief navigator deserved his place in history as the wreck was located just four miles from where he had logged it. That’s impressive in my book, given the tech’ they had, which in those days I’m sure was state of the art. 

The fella who posted the link was saying about how they used sextant for navigation,  clever stuff.

https://www.airgunforum.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/like-wow.374797/

3 hours ago, Diver One said:

Scapa Flow is good, as is the S.S. Buitenzorg in Oban along with all of the deeper stuff in the Red Sea. I was a Trimix Instuctor with an open/Martini ticket ( any gas, anywhere, any depth ..to,within limits) but Cancer put an end to that. On the plus side I have a LOT of cylinders for my PCP

You have my utmost respect. I have dived ( only scuba ) several times, but due to work related anxiety attacks many many moons ago, can no longer do it without suffering from claustrophobia. 

15 hours ago, Diver One said:

Sorry to learn of your reason for finishing. Mine was old age and reducing core strength. Yes Scapa is good. The Buitenzorg was too deep for me, although I did a couple of 60 mtr wrecks in Truk (on air). Like you, my remaining cylinders are good for my AA S410. As the saying goes “ when one door closes another on opens”. Good shooting.