Wellington Boots - Le Chameau, Aigle or Others?

Poor Shot

Good Afternoon. 

I've been stung by the 'buy cheap, buy twice' thing after having a cheap pair of Jack Pyke boots split after less than 10 outings. Luckily the retailer was very understanding and offered a full refund on the spot, I even got to keep the boots which will do nicely for a spot of upcoming gardening work I have to do.. 

I'm torn on the old Aigle vs Le Chameau debate (I went Beretta by the way) and I would like to get some views on this or any alternatives? 

The boots will be used for everything from a muddy clay ground and dog walking to beating, walked up and driven shooting. They need to be able to deal fairly well with brambles, rough terrain and lots of use. I have small feet and quite narrow calfs so an adjustable boot is a must have. 

I've been looking at the Aigle Parcours 2 Vario or the LC Vierzon boots to give an idea of budget. Also been looking at the Percussion Rambouillet boots as an alternative which specification wise look to be a level above the other two. 

I look forward to seeing what you have to recommend.  

After trying several over the years I am now using Aigle Parcours for the last 3 years with heavy use and they are still as new [almost], all i did was swap the in-sole for a Sorbothane Strike Insole. Trekked for hours with comfy dry feet and warmer in the winter

Thanks for the replies. 

Those who are claiming extreme longevity from their boots, over what conditions are they used?

My main haunts are heavily wooded, brambles, streams etc and not soft game cover and open fields (sadly). 

Also, what model boots were they? I know both LC and Aigle make boots from £150 - £500+. Unfortunately I am at the bottom end of that scale. 

Edited by Poor Shot

1 hour ago, Poor Shot said:

Good Afternoon. 

I've been stung by the 'buy cheap, buy twice' thing after having a cheap pair of Jack Pyke boots split after less than 10 outings. Luckily the retailer was very understanding and offered a full refund on the spot, I even got to keep the boots which will do nicely for a spot of upcoming gardening work I have to do.. 

I'm torn on the old Aigle vs Le Chameau debate (I went Beretta by the way) and I would like to get some views on this or any alternatives? 

The boots will be used for everything from a muddy clay ground and dog walking to beating, walked up and driven shooting. They need to be able to deal fairly well with brambles, rough terrain and lots of use. I have small feet and quite narrow calfs so an adjustable boot is a must have. 

I've been looking at the Aigle Parcours 2 Vario or the LC Vierzon boots to give an idea of budget. Also been looking at the Percussion Rambouillet boots as an alternative which specification wise look to be a level above the other two. 

I look forward to seeing what you have to recommend. 

Aigle parcours 2. Hard wearing,comfortable, waterproof. I give mine a lot of wear and no problems. Regards

I bought some Dunlop Purofoot Safety Thermo + and these have lasted at least 5 years so far. During the winter months use them everyday as my land is quite wet (South Wales), dog walking, poultry sorting out, brushcutting and chainsawing, also survived Glastonbury

Good fit and warm although because of the thermal sole they have quite deep treads and do hold a lot of mud which deposits buckets of mud outside the back door!

My wife has the non thermal ones and equally as good.

I had a pair of Aigle that lasted maybe 15 years until they started to crack a bit.They got a lot of abuse but were brilliant.

I am not a fan of lined wellies due to them making my feet sweat and I wear them most days of the week throughout the year so summer and lined boots do not agree with me.

3 years ago I needed a new pair of boots and happened to be in Decathlon. I bought a pair of their boots,full length side zip,not lined and at (I think) £60 I thought they couldn't be bad even if they didn't last.They have been brilliant, I will be getting another pair when they need to be replaced.Wear them shooting, picking up,fishing, when I am working at the bees and even staying if I know it is going to be very wet and they have been very comfortable and show no sign of wear.

Can't remember the model but there was only 1 thst I saw with side zips that was not lined.

52 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

AIGLE,  AIGLE, AIGLE!  I am a full time ghillie and wear my Aigles 6 days a week, 11 month a year.  I renew them every 3 years only because they start losing grip, neoprene lined ones. Do yourself a favour and go AIGLE.

Yes very fine wellies - but only if the suit his foot / ankle shape. 

2 hours ago, Fellside said:

Just a word of caution. I would recommend trying on a few brands in a shop if poss’ - rather than buying off the net. In the end one or two welly types will shout comfort. Like walking boots the original last shape is important. They all differ slightly.

This. Aigle have a narrow ankle aperture, which is good as it means it ensures a good fit and negates ‘wellie slap’, but you need to try them on. 

I use the Parcours as they fit my trotters well, slimmer around the ankle. current pair are about four years old and are still going strong, comfy and warm.

The wife has Le Chameau Ceres and she loves them, she says warm comfy and grippy, these are also about four years old, but that said brother in law had a new pair last year and they have split along the top of the sole.

Aigle! first pair lasted about 10 years then i tried Le Chameau they didn't fit as well and got used for work so only lasted a couple of years (not really the fault of the boots)

I tried a pair of Harkilas they only lasted 11 months of little use. Now back to Aigle.

After trying Aigle, le chameau and finding them too narrow fitting for my wide feet and not fitting the calf, I've been impressed with GATEWAY1, pheasant game boots.

Side zips, rear calf adjustable,  excellent sole and grip, warm and extremely comfortable. Grip the whole of my feet and no heel slop. 

I’ve had Chams for 10 years now they got replaced but another pair not because their unserviceable but because my wife says they are now look tired and scruffy, coupled with she wanted to buy my a nice birthday present. 

So I’ve got a nice old comfy pair to wear and smart pair to watch the kids play rugby in🤪

My Aigles are not as comfy but get worn strimmering etc but are still tough and going strong, I just don’t like walking in them. 

Buy which ever fits you best.  This sounds like a which shotgun response!!!!!