Homing Ukrainian refugees

mel b3

2 hours ago, mel b3 said:

I'm not in it for a row , I only asked for practical advice . 

You either get it , or you don't.

^^^^ this. 

53 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Bloody Emily Thornberry aka Lady Nugee has just stated on the BBC Politics Live programme that we all saw this coming when referring to the Ukraine refugee crisis.

She is right we did (with the exception of our leaders, either that or they chose to ignore it). There will be very many more don't imagine for a moment that the UK resistance will last long. Every MP's inbox is full including me very own JRM. THe UK public will be generous and even the Tories wont want to be out of tune.

Lets just hope it stays with Ukrainian refugees.  

Edited by oowee

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Dave-G said:

I think most of the current popularity of offering space in our homes is that Ukraine culture is relatively more similar to ours than those who come here from the middle east or Africa for example.

Exactly and we can see that they are legitimate refugees usually women and children,  not someone that has paid a lot of money to reach here, sure we cant help everyone but many try and help others in other ways.  usually  financial 

As for many seeing this coming, many of us saw but hoped the lying Cretin really was bluffing during his border exercises - and its unfair IMO to suggest our leaders were slow in becoming sufficiently affirmative.

The opposition doing its job would be opposing any actions taken.

5 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

As for many seeing this coming, many of us saw but hoped the lying Cretin really was bluffing during his border exercises - and its unfair IMO to suggest our leaders were slow in becoming sufficiently affirmative.

The opposition doing its job would be opposing any actions taken.

Not quite sure what you mean there. I think the criticism is in respect to the response to the crisis post invasion. Imagine we were Poland and had 2m people qued on the border whilst we sorted out visa's for 3000. 

22 minutes ago, oowee said:

Not quite sure what you mean there. I think the criticism is in respect to the response to the crisis post invasion. Imagine we were Poland and had 2m people qued on the border whilst we sorted out visa's for 3000. 

Fair point but its also fair to feel their immediate needs are taken care of having reached shelter and sustenance in Poland and are able to have a brief "rest". And we have been plagued with 'refugees' who are mostly young males, some who may well be sleepers for a future event, had money to spend and were happy to ditch their documents.

I feel its fair to say that rather than take knee jerk 'look at us' actions UK .gov has taken an in depth look at whats best for them and us and come up with what seems a very good plan.

We also have taken many afghans and are I believe in the process of having an open door to Hong Kong people. We can only take so many while there is a lack of housing stock.

Edited by Dave-G

4 hours ago, Dave-G said:

We don't want prayer mats and curry smells around the house - FGM, accompanied females, hijabs, wrap around bed sheets on our clothes lines, honour issues etc 

So what you are saying is that Ukrainians are welcome, just not any of the 500,000 Muslims. Do you also wish to exclude the estimated 400,000 Jews. 

1 hour ago, toontastic said:

So what you are saying is that Ukrainians are welcome, just not any of the 500,000 Muslims. Do you also wish to exclude the estimated 400,000 Jews. 

It would appear so. 

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

He's our local MP, we like him, I voted for him. 👍

I quite like him too, and I also voted for him. 👍

8 hours ago, benbobailey said:

I admire your goodwill gesture. However what is your selection criteria? Why not refugees from all trouble and poverty stricken nations, why not starving African children, why not people in need of help in this country, why not anybody needing help from anywhere in the world? Why the sudden mass hysteria to help one country in need? Are you going to take and help people in need for ever, or just from Ukraine for 3 months   .

Please don't think because people like myself aren't jumping on the current bandwagon of mass sympathy, that we do not care. We just don't agree this is the best  solution to the refugee crisis, short or long term .  Regards

Maybe its because its a peaceful, democratic country, much like our own that has been attacked by a far more powerful country for no good reason?

6 hours ago, toontastic said:

That's NOT what I said and it takes a lot of arrogance and pathetic ignorance to twist my words like that. Maybe you'd be opening your home to them but thats your business - and your family's too.

I suggested we are happier to accept people of similar values and culture as us into our homes than those of a different culture that would clash with our family harmony. 

Edited by Dave-G

2 hours ago, benbobailey said:

Ok, the innocent starving children elsewhere are out of luck then! I'm out.

Why give a donation to prostate cancer charity over a heart charity. People tend to do charity work around things close to their heart, it doesn't mean people don't care about other things, but we all have finite time and resources. 

With that I'm out also, I don't want to derail this excellent thread by Mel b3

18 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Bloody Emily Thornberry aka Lady Nugee has just stated on the BBC Politics Live programme that we all saw this coming when referring to the Ukraine refugee crisis.

Hello, I  hoped that the Western powers would have stopped Putin so there would be no Ukraine refugees like what is happening now, 

Hello, wether it's right or wrong it's inconceivable that if it should happen to our country and citizens, I say good for those showing compassion and have offered to help Ukrainian refugees with a home while the war is going on in their homeland, I am sure it is not what they wanted to happen, leaving their husbands, brothers, sisters, grandparents and friends behind I just hope they can find some peace and comfort with their stay in UK ,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

For anyone with a FAC\SGC who is also contemplating homing a refugee, there are a few complications to the process for us, I received this from my FAO:

Thanks for your email. It is unlikely that you would be given permission to keep weapons in the house if you are taking in ’lodgers’ without them being fully vetted. In normal times overseas enquiries take time but with the current situation in Ukraine the enquiries are not going to be done.  If you want to take in ‘lodgers’ we would advise you to make arrangements to store your weapons elsewhere i.e. RFD or another certificate holder with the necessary authorities and capacity

1 hour ago, Deker said:

For anyone with a FAC\SGC who is also contemplating homing a refugee, there are a few complications to the process for us, I received this from my FAO:

1 hour ago, Deker said:

As most of the refugees are mothers and their small children who i assume would have already gone through the relevant checks to be allowed in this seems a bit harsh.over the years people have come into the uk from all over europe have been issued firearms and shotgun certificates with really no background checks being able to be made.

Edited by bostonmick

17 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

As most of the refugees are mothers and their small children who i assume would have already gone through the relevant checks to be allowed in this seems a bit harsh.over the years people have come into the uk from all over europe have been issued firearms and shotgun certificates with really no background checks being able to be made.

I agree but also see it from the other side, some of these people will be suffering from some form of PTSD & possibly  depression so I understand why the initial response is what it is.

1 hour ago, Deker said:

I agree but also see it from the other side, some of these people will be suffering from some form of PTSD & possibly  depression so I understand why the initial response is what it is.

I suppose the saying is true.no act of kindness goes unpunished.guns are under lock and key also i doubt many that take these people into their homes will just leave them alone.they will need a lot of time and effort just to allow them to adjust.i am single but if i were to marry would my new wife have to be vetted before taking up residence in my home.

3 hours ago, Deker said:

It’s not refugees per se, this applies to ‘ANY’ lodger that you take in, even if it’s your ‘bestie’ in that the Police require to know all occupants of your dwelling. 

Here is a question that comes to mind

What if you take one or two Ukrainians into your home then discover you can't get along with them or find them to be a bad lot how do you go about getting them removed?

I don't think the local Authorities, Police or anyone else will want to help you