Dacia Duster fuel gauge

30-6

My 19 plate Duster when under the manufacturer warranty had a problem of the fuel gauge not registering correctly. The software related to this was worked with and seemed OK.

Took my car for its first mot recently, and now a week or two later the gauge is playing up again. Put petrol in and the gauge doesn't move up but it did go down one bar after some mileage.

I know on older cars they worked off a float type set up. So how do the digital with bars we have now work ?

Anybody with a Dacia Duster have the same problem ?

14 minutes ago, humperdingle said:

I had a 2014 Duster for a while. From being on the Duster Owners Facebook group, I seem to remember the fuel gauge thing being a known issue.

Something to do with the tank being ‘brimmed’ with fuel.

If you’re on FB, head over to that group 👍

Mmmmmm. Food for thought. I just fuelled my 2021 to the brim at Costco (petrol £1.51 litre). Fingers crossed. 

1 hour ago, Bobba said:

Mmmmmm. Food for thought. I just fuelled my 2021 to the brim at Costco (petrol £1.51 litre). Fingers crossed. 

Yeh next time you need fuel, just fill to maybe 3/4 and see if the gauge works properly then. I think the issue was that the sensor device can’t recognise the volume of fuel if the neck of the tank is full… something along those lines.

• 2 weeks later...

Well there might be an answer.

When I put petrol in I did not plan to fill it full, but there might be some truth in ' brimming' it and gauge problems. I had 4 bars, put about £25 quid in and it stayed on 4 bars then dropped to 3 after a little running around, then stayed on 3. After a little bit more running around it went up to 7 bars, dropping to 6. Max. on gauge is 8 bars.

I had booked it in to a Dacia dealer, who agreed to look at it for free. I told them it seemed to be OK now, and was it worth still investigating. They said yes.

They came back to me with a faulty sensor. They said they would contact Dacia to see if they would authorise repair. But part is a 5 to10 day delivery, as they don't carry all parts stock on the shelve.

Bit of running back and fore, but let's hope it comes good.

6 minutes ago, 30-6 said:

Well that's what they told me. The same thing happened just under a year ago, then they told me that they done something with the software.

I have never on any car I have owned intentionally filled the tank to full capacity.

Oh well, they’re sorting it out, so that’s a result 🙂