solar powered security lights

scobydog

I bought six of them for our (isolated) club few years ago. 

These are similar to what i got but they need replacing as the batteries inside only take a certain amount of charges/discharges and i guess they're at the end of their life span. You'll need to play with the sensitivity if they're gonna be triggered by rabbits etc. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-2000lm-Adjustable-Illumination-Waterproof/dp/B07V4CBHD7/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=M6NPPC9KS66N&keywords=solar+security+lights+outdoor+motion+sensor&qid=1647193927&sprefix=solar+%2Caps%2C299&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzM0dRQkQ1NkM4NDY1JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDAzMTUyMzBRM0MzVDRFU01MNiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzg3MDA0MlZEVUQ0WEhKTTBRNiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

What's your proposed use, I have a solar light for the back door similar to below and upgraded the battery (1200mah to 2500mah 28650) and if it is just on\off a couple times a night they are useful.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Outdoor-Security-Waterproof-120-160-Lighting/dp/B079VLB1B6/ref=mp_s_a_1_47?crid=37M4E4MYRSZKQ&keywords=solar+160+led+light&qid=1647213521&sprefix=solar+160+led+light%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-47

If you have cats, foxes, etc hanging about setting them off 10x a night, you will during Nov to End Feb probably need to recharge the batteries manually from the mains once a fortnight as insufficient sun to keep up the higher level of use.

If I was buying another, I would go for one with a bigger solar panel.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B09MTJSF4C/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A5OBHHPG3K54E&psc=1

Edited by Stonepark

I've got a couple in the garden I bought about 3 years ago, still going strong, large separate solar panel and takes 1x 18650, never changed the battery's. 

They cost me about £20 each then, and I've looked if they still sell them, but all I can see is similar smaller ones for about £10 on ebay. 

On 14/03/2022 at 08:06, scobydog said:

just don't want to drill through a wall for a hard wired 1

I think you're making a fundamental mistake...

'hard wired' will be cheaper, throw more light for a given size, and will likely be much longer lived.

What is your aversion to drilling a hole?  Presumably you'll have to anyway to mount one.

41 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I think you're making a fundamental mistake...

'hard wired' will be cheaper, throw more light for a given size, and will likely be much longer lived.

What is your aversion to drilling a hole?  Presumably you'll have to anyway to mount one.

As in I can't be bothered drilling straight through the walls to get the wire to a socket for hard wiring a light.  Small holes into a single brick are fine,  have 2 from the former light so hopefully only will have to put 1 fixing hole in. Ordered 1 off Amazon, due tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

You're not still using an ordinary hammer drill are you?  Beg, borrow, steal or even buy an SDS drill.  The difference is like night and day.

No, got a great sds drill. Just don't want to go through the walls for hardwired lights.