Are things that tight ?.

Bigbob

When i was up town this morning waiting on the wife i checked  out the charity shops for hunting , shooting or fishing books and theres a guy in the salvation army shop where all books are 50p scanning them and making a pile  of differnt topic's to sell on ?? I didnt think theres much to be made as there was years ago as now the charity shops have cottoned on and have there own experts  check everything before its put out 

A bloke I knew years ago parked his wagon in our yard overnight. He collected clothes from charity shops all over N. England, and told us that a lot of charities were claiming that some nations were getting fussy over which clothes they would and wouldn’t accept. True or not I have no idea. No logo no interest. 
A lad who we laid off when we went quiet started collecting for a certain charity, but was fired for taking some of the more desirable items and selling them on eBay. 
I always have a good scour of the charity shops when out and about, mostly for work gear, and found a good one in Hexham at the weekend. Came away with some real good items at good prices, but even in those shops it pays to shop around….tshirts are cheaper in M&S than some charity shops. 

When my late mother was a volunteer at a charity shop she often used to say that most of their sales came from car booters and ebay sellers so the shop used to price accordingly to leave the buyers a bit of a profit when they sold them on. Sell it cheap and keep it moving was the way they worked

There's a very posh shop not far from me usually buried behind Range Rovers and Porsche 4x4's busy selling to gullible rich women after cut price designer labels, the owner sources it all from Charity shops for pennies. It was once a pastime of mine scouring these shops, best result was 3 pictures by Owen Bell for £7 the lot, valued by Sotheby's at £100 each. 

There are plenty of people giving up the 9-5 in favour of online selling, books is the starting point and a lot of money to be made, they generally then move on and source through retail arbitrage (flipping -buy cheap then sell it at a profit) and then on to wholesalers. It’s what Amazon is built on. I’m sure we are all aware of the pretty penny Jeff is sat on! All $200billion of it 

19 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Sell it cheap and keep it moving was the way they worked

Round here the charity shops have wised up to the online and boot sale scavengers. Prices have gone way up over the last couple of years making it harder to score a real bargain or make it worth selling on.

3 hours ago, Westward said:

Round here the charity shops have wised up to the online and boot sale scavengers. Prices have gone way up over the last couple of years making it harder to score a real bargain or make it worth selling on.

thats interesting, at the shop my mother volunteered at they were given so much stuff that they would never be able to sell it or even display it all. So they deliberately acted like a wholesaler selling stuff cheap to regulars who would come in every week and spend £50 or even £100 at a time.

At work we are designing and making a sortation system to sort charity shop books , It will do 20,000 book's a shift using camera's and interfacing with a huge database to acertain what it is and it's condition using an AI self learning computer system and then these will then be sold through Amazon.

Hello, I still see people on Antique roadshow bring   items found in charity shops or bought online as sellers no idea of item true value, it's very seldom I watch Dickensen real deal but you see quite a few charity finds on that, so as Shaw Taylor said, Keep em pealed 🤔👍

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Hello, getting back to big bobs post, price rises are going up on many many things we buy from supermarkets to fuel to gas/electric , even fish and chips as a report on local news, a farmer giving up growing Spuds, this year's pension rise has cancelled out with rise in heating cost and council tax alone, I can manage but there are over a million on basic pension, those looking for work, families with young children, and those having to rent as cannot afford to buy, an explosion of food banks in every city and town shows there are people struggling in their finances, yet we are suppose to be a rich nation, but saying all this the citizens of UK are very generous , you only need look at the appeal for Ukraine , red nose Day, etc etc, we've not got over COVID, and now the war on Ukraine,  we all see the TV reports, I watch in despair as I'm sure many on here do, we can only hope and pray a solution is found to end this , and we can only live our lives as best we can,