The Last Retrieve

WalkedUp

After a long and glorious life, my old boy is gone. Took him earlier today as he was completely lame and he’d lost all his weight. I’ve lost dogs before but he was very special to me. Had him since he was 7 weeks old and he never put a foot wrong from 2010 to now or left my side. His last retrieve was 22nd January this year (second picture). After the season was over he sort of gave up. 

We were together to the end. He was happy and loved even as he went. 

376C8808-ECF2-4A00-9F66-E8EB63B0D450.jpeg

78F55B95-141C-4EF2-8D6A-4A13B8C73EC4.jpeg

0E87171A-0054-4FCA-9F73-8D4FE545E3FA.jpeg

1130B28B-7C91-4316-9F8D-336A8AB6FA91.jpeg

Edited by WalkedUp

These posts always bring a lump in my throat and you would think the older you get the easier it would get when the time come for that final visit , take it from me , if anything it get harder and since I retired I spend more time out with my dog than I do with my wife , take today , up a little after six and out with my dog at 6 .45 for his normal hours walk along the river bank , after breakfast I pottered about in the garden and stuck my Pigeon gear in the motor just before the news came on , as soon as the news was over it was then a short drive to one of my rape fields , all set up by 1.45 and each pigeon I shot I let my dog go and get it out of the growing rape , he have now learnt to come into the hide and rub your hand with the pigeon still in his mouth , once you hold it and say drop then he release it , in a way it is all taken for granted as you learn his ways as well as him learning yours , by 4.15 it was time to call it a day , his normal antics is to have a good hunt about in case we have left any but today he picked the eleven pigeons up as they were shot .

I now dread to think what will happen when his final day arrive and like you Walked Up , we will have many happy memories to look back on and you can rest assure that you gave him a life that a lot of dogs could only dream of .

3 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

After a long and glorious life, my old boy is gone. Took him earlier today as he was completely lame and he’d lost all his weight. I’ve lost dogs before but he was very special to me. Had him since he was 7 weeks old and he never put a foot wrong from 2010 to now or left my side. His last retrieve was 22nd January this year (second picture). After the season was over he sort of gave up. 

We were together to the end. He was happy and loved even as he went. 

376C8808-ECF2-4A00-9F66-E8EB63B0D450.jpeg

78F55B95-141C-4EF2-8D6A-4A13B8C73EC4.jpeg

0E87171A-0054-4FCA-9F73-8D4FE545E3FA.jpeg

1130B28B-7C91-4316-9F8D-336A8AB6FA91.jpeg

Thoughts are with you and the family mate. 

It is a very hard thing, but you know when you have done the right thing.  I still remember taking my first dog on her last day (well, one drive) out - she was nearly 16, and just came and sat with me at the back for the final drive of the day.  Didn't want to do much, but walked happily with me from the car to the drive.  Stayed alert and watched, but I think she knew here retrieving days were over.

Lots of good memories.

These posts never fail to bring a tear to my eye. Seen lots of dogs come and go, lots of other animals growing up on the farm but working dogs are just a bit special and I feel your loss like I have with my own in days past. He looked a wonderful dog and obviously had a great life. 

Echo the above WalkedUp the pollen must be early this year as my eyes are watering reading your write up.

It’s always hard but I ll put money on that you’ll miss him for a good while but try remember the good times because they were probably made that little better having Luther by your side and as your trusted companion!

luther sleep peacefully old boy. 

Agriv8

• 2 weeks later...