Whatsapp

steve_b_wales

27 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

When abroad, can you use the above app' on your mobile phone, to phone a UK landline number?

If you are in a country where your mobile service provider doesnt offer free calls, you can use whatsapp over wifi to make calls, send  texts pics ect.

My EE contract didnt give me calls or data in Turkey without buying a 'pack', so I just used the hotels wifi, and was able to phone and call at will.

15 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

If you are in a country where your mobile service provider doesnt offer free calls, you can use whatsapp over wifi to make calls, send  texts pics ect.

My EE contract didnt give me calls or data in Turkey without buying a 'pack', so I just used the hotels wifi, and was able to phone and call at will.

Can I phone a UK landline for free, if using whatsapp on my mobile phone, and the hotel's WiFi?

10 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. The reason I'm asking is that my elderly parents haven't got or even want a mobile phone, and as I'll be abroad on holidays soon, I would like to phone them (for free!) using my mobile phone app to their landline number.

Ah. That wont work with whatsapp. You can do it though by enabling wifi calling on your phone. You may have to call your provider to switch it on. I use that here as I have no tel signal. You can then call anywhere for free when you have wifi. 

22 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. The reason I'm asking is that my elderly parents haven't got or even want a mobile phone, and as I'll be abroad on holidays soon, I would like to phone them (for free!) using my mobile phone app to their landline number.

I don't know of any free way to do this (doesn't mean there isn't one) but Skype is good for this. You have to buy a little bit of credit, but it's good over WiFi

8 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

I don't know of any free way to do this (doesn't mean there isn't one) but Skype is good for this. You have to buy a little bit of credit, but it's good over WiFi

WI FI enable your phone. make calls through the wifi network. Its free

8 minutes ago, oowee said:

I don't know about other providers but on EE using the phone to call or text over WiFi (not WhatApp) incurs call charges.

Your existing call and text charges are the same when you use WiFi Calling. Calls and texts still come from any allowances or packs you may have. For usage beyond your allowances, charges will be at your standard rates – see ee.co.uk/priceguides for details.

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Ah. That wont work with whatsapp. You can do it though by enabling wifi calling on your phone. You may have to call your provider to switch it on. I use that here as I have no tel signal. You can then call anywhere for free when you have wifi. 

I use whatsapp on my mobile phone, via the hotel free WiFi to contact friends etc via their mobile phones, but I don't know if this would be free if contacting a landline number.

1 hour ago, oowee said:

As mentioned, I use whatsapp on my mobile phone, via the hotel free WiFi to contact friends etc via their mobile phones, but I don't know if this would be free if contacting a landline number.

No.

The person you’re calling must have WhatsApp installed on their phone in order that you can call them at all.  This precludes landlines or non-smart-phones or even phones that don't have WhatsApp installed.

The functionality you describe apparently is available, in Beta, in the business version of WhatsApp, but this must be paid for.

Edited by udderlyoffroad

2 hours ago, oowee said:

You can do it though by enabling wifi calling on your phone. You may have to call your provider to switch it on. I use that here as I have no tel signal. You can then call anywhere for free when you have wifi. 

WiFi calling is still subject to your mobile phone tariff, if you make a call in the UK it uses your allowance. It would be the same abroad, so if you can't use your phone for free abroad, then WiFi calling will be subject to the same charges.

Third party apps like WhatsApp allow you to call using an Internet connection, but only to other WhatsApp users, not landlines. Some do allow you to call landlines or mobile numbers, but at a cost.

Edited by Newbie to this

2 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Has your parents got a laptop and internet connection?

Sadly not. My father has got a cheap mobile phone that is kept in his car and used for emergencies. There's not problem phoning from the hotel, even if it does cost a few pounds. 

48 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, my mum never wanted a mobile phone while I was away some years back, so I had to use a land phone in internet shop, try and persuade them and buy a cheap phone that will take WhatsApp 👍 enjoy your holiday 👍

Thanks. It's been cancelled four times in the last two years, so my wife and I are really looking forward to chilling out and relaxing. 

Steve

Who is your mobile phone provider? O2, Virgin and 3 are still providing roaming as far as I know ( depends if your contract was taken out before Oct 2021 I believe?)

Others charge £2 per day I think it is to access your phone tariff as if in the UK

I took out a 3 contract well before European roaming was a thing and also allowed us calling in the States etc.

For me I’m flitting from European Countries and it’s essential to have data access- we have a new destination of Belgrade which isn’t included and some of my colleagues have been stung for not turning data roaming off prior to arrival.