Whatsapp

steve_b_wales

14 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Steve

Who is your mobile phone provider? O2, Virgin and 3 are still providing roaming as far as I know ( depends if your contract was taken out before Oct 2021 I believe?)

Others charge £2 per day I think it is to access your phone tariff as if in the UK

I took out a 3 contract well before European roaming was a thing and also allowed us calling in the States etc.

For me I’m flitting from European Countries and it’s essential to have data access- we have a new destination of Belgrade which isn’t included and some of my colleagues have been stung for not turning data roaming off prior to arrival. 

I'm with Vodafone, and will be out in Egypt soon. I can buy a package that allows calls to the UK at a discounted rate, but it's only my parents that I would be phoning to their landline. 

6 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Seems you're out of options...

If you're parents can't or won't embrace a modern mobile, you'll have to pay.

Orrrr, as your parents seem to be 'old school', you could just tell them that calls are expensive abroad and they will have to content themselves with a post card.

I've done this before, and my mother (my father's not bothered either way) said 'Don't worry, just enjoy yourself'. But that was before they both had cancer. Yes, I can afford to pay for a 'normal call', I was just looing at various options. 

11 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, sorry to hijack your post Steve but my phone can no longer support WhatsApp , Old Apple i phone, can any one recommend a new phone I can buy that's similar but not expensive ?? I can transfer SIM, cheers

Hello, my phone won't update new software, it's an I phone 4S

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Can you not buy one of the .99p SIM cards that seem to be knocking around and give your parents an old phone with WhatsApp on. 

You can also video call them and take them on a tour of the hotel. 

when you get back just thrown the phone in a draw 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. I'm out in Egypt at the moment and tried phoning friends and family via WhatsApp. A message said that my network (Vodafone) does not accept it. I checked this out with other British people and they too have the same problem. Apparently it's been blocked because of terrorism! What truth is in that, I don't know.

14 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Just a quick update. I'm out in Egypt at the moment and tried phoning friends and family via WhatsApp. A message said that my network (Vodafone) does not accept it. I checked this out with other British people and they too have the same problem. Apparently it's been blocked because of terrorism! What truth is in that, I don't know.

Connect to Wi-Fi and turn cellular network off. 

Wait, what?  Wifi booster?  As in, you took one on holiday?  Just checking, but presumably you did reprogramme it to the hotel’s wifi network? Otherwise it will offer to connect to an extension of your wifi network at home, only of course it won’t find the original, thus you will get precisely nowhere, but have a seemingly ‘healthy’ wifi connection.

In either case, some googling reveals that yes, it seems Egypt does block VoIP services (Skype, Teams, Google Hangouts and Whatsapp calls but not messages) citing ‘security concerns’ – I assume because they’re end-to-end encrypted and thus not easy to listen in on, so it’s easier to just block and deny.  Which would mean you're back to calling the parents.

5 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Wait, what?  Wifi booster?  As in, you took one on holiday?  Just checking, but presumably you did reprogramme it to the hotel’s wifi network? Otherwise it will offer to connect to an extension of your wifi network at home, only of course it won’t find the original, thus you will get precisely nowhere, but have a seemingly ‘healthy’ wifi connection.

In either case, some googling reveals that yes, it seems Egypt does block VoIP services (Skype, Teams, Google Hangouts and Whatsapp calls but not messages) citing ‘security concerns’ – I assume because they’re end-to-end encrypted and thus not easy to listen in on, so it’s easier to just block and deny.  Which would mean you're back to calling the parents.

We were loaned a WiFi booster (usually 15euro)and are using the hotel WiFi only. Not touched my Vodafone data etc. We are getting messages to my parents via WhatsApp but not voice calls of course.