Steel loads for foxes

Back in the day Eley recommended #4 for Fox but most people used to use BB to make sure.  I used to use BB in left  and #3 in Right. Better pattern.  But at the end of any day what ever size is used it has to be put on target. The amount of charleys that I've seen taken most have surrendered rear end first. I was told to lead the head, same with geese..

On 23/03/2022 at 17:49, Minky said:

Back in the day Eley recommended #4 for Fox but most people used to use BB to make sure.  I used to use BB in left  and #3 in Right. Better pattern.  But at the end of any day what ever size is used it has to be put on target. The amount of charleys that I've seen taken most have surrendered rear end first. I was told to lead the head, same with geese..

I agree. English #3. But you need an ounce and a quarter of it. The old Alphamax or Hymax load.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/03/2022 at 14:42, Scully said:

Plenty of foxes are shot on driven days with nothing bigger than lead 5 or 6. Seem to work ok. 

Absolutely, we all keep a couple of big loads in the bag but reality is you’ll shoot what’s loaded 

23 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Possibly this years most pointless thread so far!   

Ah there's a thought, let's have a pointless prize for the most pointless thread, I will suggest a few, snap caps, pig saddle, Hamilton slip stand, steel cartridges (when you can still use Lead) 

On 07/04/2022 at 15:41, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I'm not so sure about that. Makes a change from the 'What choke and shot size for a high driven bird?' type threads.

I've been thinking about how effective a 35g Steel wildfowling load would be for foxes. I don't have or ever really intend on buying a heavy BB lead load as they have quite specific uses and I suspect even a box of 25 would last me well beyond the eventual banning of lead as I don't often encounter foxes at close range or make a specific point of targeting them with a shotgun. I do however have lots of steel wildfowling loads and do keep a pair of No 3 steel cartridges in the pocket of my shooting coat should I come across a fox when I'm doing other pest control.

If they can kill a goose stone dead at a reasonable range then a fox should be no problem.

On 07/04/2022 at 15:41, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Sorry to disagree 

how long is it going to be before someone gives a fox a barrel when there loaded with steel or bismuth 

id like to know the effective range of them both and along with the guidelines in a fixed choke gun the recommended shot size and load without going to hp superior proof that leaves us using 4 shot