Air Rifle Squirrel control.

OK, lost my driving licence due to my eyesight and live 9 miles from a Squirrel control perm that runs from October till March each winter. Looking for a buddy ideally in Aylesbury or Buckingham willing to drive in exchange for joining me on Squirrel control  forays in Milton Keynes. 7 large mixed woodlands with feeders in situ and filled by the landowners, proof of insurance needed and you will be interviewed as a formality.

2 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

OK, lost my driving licence due to my eyesight and live 9 miles from a Squirrel control perm that runs from October till March each winter

That's tough mate, hope there's a chance of getting it back in the future 👍 

Annoying thing is, Mice, that my eyesight is better than most people that I know. I lost an eye 20+ years ago and recently DVLA have seemed hell bent on revoking my licence. I can read a car plate at twice the required distance and that should be enough (more than for a normal person), but DVLA (who still send me Diabetic questionnaire's every year despite me being cured 16 years ago) make me jump through several different hoops that few people have to - they even booked me into the local hospital ophthalmic clinic  from which I was discharged in 2016. To my mind this is Disability discrimination, they have found a blind spot but they say that if I can prove I have adapted they will reconsider but if my licence is returned it will be provisional!! Till this happened I had been driving every day, riding my Ducati 900 at weekends and have full no claims on both.

I'm really sorry to hear about your driving licence Bruno.

I can remember the law being messed around with a few years ago , and things being made more restrictive if you had sight loss in one eye . As I remember it , you were still allowed to drive , if you had already been driving ( with the sight loss), and hadn't had any issues . I only remember it because one of the guys at work had an eye missing . He had a bit of a struggle with dvla , but was allowed to carry on driving bin lorries ( he was a very good driver too) . He's retired now , but as far as I'm aware , he still drives his car.

I also know of another guy that drives with an eye patch , and has done for as long as I can remember. 

I hope that things work out for you mate . I know how difficult it can be dealing with dvla.

Bad crack that mate , i dont know your situation but have you thought about seeing a solicitor , if nothing else just for advice , the first hour is usually free and you would know where you stand then , or failing that what about citizens advice , hope you get it sorted

I've been driving with my one eye for 23 years. Appealing to DVLA rarely seems successful looking on the internet, DVLA give a number to ring for advice but I've been ringing that for the 8 months that they took to process my application for renewal and never got through. Might give CAB a try but legal route is impossible for me, my various disabilities prevent me from working anymore and I get £59/week from DHSS. Thank you for all your sympathy and support, it helps more than you might know. 

17 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Annoying thing is, Mice, that my eyesight is better than most people that I know. I lost an eye 20+ years ago and recently DVLA have seemed hell bent on revoking my licence. I can read a car plate at twice the required distance and that should be enough

I thought you must have had some sort of deterioration with your sight, certainly sounds like your being stitched up.

I realise it'll be a nightmare trying to get it resolved but keep trying mate,  we probably all take being able to jump in the car for granted.

• 1 month later...

Half way there, but by the time anybody showed any interest the season was over (we only shoot greys from Oct till end of April....ish). Amazed at the lack of interest when so many people struggle to find a perm. Spoke to the new estate Manager regarding having to involve another shooter and he just said crack on, my last txt was early April from memory and all hoppers (approx 40) bar one were empty on final fill.

Edited by bruno22rf

4 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Half way there, but by the time anybody showed any interest the season was over (we only shoot greys from Oct till end of April....ish). Amazed at the lack of interest when so many people struggle to find a perm. Spoke to the new estate Manager regarding having to involve another shooter and he just said crack on, my last txt was early April from memory and all hoppers (approx 40) bar one were empty on final fill.

Strange isn't it, I think it's down to people not wanting to have to follow rules? Being told where they can shoot and not being able to wander.

But 39 feeders being empty must mean there are some big numbers of squirrels around still.

3 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

TBH Mice there little point in wandering around, the Hoppers are attracting the Squirrels and all the hard work has been done for the shooter, an accomplice would be free to choose their feeder.

I totally agree with you mate, but some folk might not realise it, and if there are so many feeders around being filled for you would be spoilt for choice.

All of my tree rat killin' is done from static position, Landy window or pop up blind or purpose built blind.  It works. Tree rats are like birds feed at a point on a regular basis and they will come for a free and easy meal.  Wish I was closer to you...great offer opportunity.