tail docking

babs2020

Why would you not get the lot done?  Legalities aside, it doesn't really matter whether their intended home is "working" or not - all of the pups in the litter have the potential to behave the same way once the connection between nose and legs kicks in, therefore all of them have the potential to benefit from the tail docking.

I don't see how a vet can ask for third parties' details because a lot of pups at the time of docking haven't even been sold yet.  The vet will ask some questions and take you at your word, so if you're a shooter and you say you're going to sell them to fellow shooters it's an absolutely plausible situation for the vet to go ahead with the docking.

What breed are we talking about here?

21 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Don't dock ... personally I feel it devalues the dog ..

Nonsense! Possibility of damaged tails when working is a greater concern than your perceived devaluation.  

Babs2020, there is no problem getting part litters docked , although I would dock them all as they may end up working. Regards

Edited by benbobailey

Would never buy a pup that wasn’t docked. 

Even if some are going to pet homes, if a spaniel they can go charging around on walks and injure their tales. 

If someone is breeding ‘working dogs’ of a breed that is usually docked and hasn’t docked the pups I would have serious concerns about whether they actually work the dog at all, and their knowledge of why it is important. 

Docking is not just done for looks. 

I don’t see how you can pick the pups your going to want to keep by 3 days old. 

Pups change a lot as they grow and are showing almost nothing by 3 days. 

Once again, anyone picking their pup at that age, based I can only assume purely on looks / the colour, would cause me to have doubts about their credentials breeding ‘working dogs’. 

At 3 days old my pups were docked and vet asked for list of working homes when the pups came back for microchips, i had them all done as all were going to working homes. So no one had actually picked their pup at that age. I think personally, it was the vet making sure tails were docked for work and not vanity, as far as he could.

On 19/03/2022 at 20:20, Ultrastu said:

Don't dock ... personally I feel it devalues the dog ..

Pigeon watch at its finest….there’s always one 🤣🤣🤣

13 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Your saying my preferences (which are the same as all the other people I know who have dogs ) is wrong when I'm looking to buy a new dog .

Your nuts. 

I work my spaniel and absolutely  won't consider a docked dog .but I'm wrong ? 

Can you explain the advantages on an undocked tail for working spaniels? I’m intrigued 

Docked vs undocked

I have a cocker and an ESS both with docked tails and they aren't working as such but are from working homes. My son has a 1year old ESS with an undocked tail. where we walk them is all rough cover, brambles etc, rocks. My 2 never have danaged tails , Bear my boys dog always has a bleeding tail and it gets sore 😞 When he asked the vet about the tail he was told there can be complications docking now whereas when they are new born, there are usually no issues with docking.

My advise would be if you have wild spaniels they are far better off with docked tails. My wife wasn't keen on the idea of tail docking but has changed her mind now.

On the otherhand we've had a few dobermans in the past and the last one had an undocked tail and it made no difference and apart from cosmetic looks I think Dobermans don't need docked tails.

On 23/03/2022 at 09:00, harkom said:

I think that docked dogs are ineligible for "showing" .... eh?? ...whatever.

Your not allowed to show them at any event the public pays to enter. 

I’m sure all the people who are interested in breeding quality working dogs will feel the loss at that! 🤣