Decathalon

Walker570

Should we be supporting this outlet?  I read today in the Telegraph Business pages that the owner refuses not to withdraw his support for Putin and will continue to trade with Russia.

I must admit I have never used the outlet because they are French owned but I know from comments on here that other members have.

The owner is open and honest with his position. The Tories are merely face saving having taken donations from Putin cronies, granted UK residence to Putin cronies, guzzled at the trough of Putin cronies. Even giving peerages to Russian cronies. I have no issues with buying from Decathlon in the past and none with continuing to buy from them if they have something that I might see suitable from my need. What I do have an issue with is politicians having conveniently short memories like characters from a Sexton Blake cartoon "Who me guvnor? Know him? No. Not me. Never heard of him. You must be thinking of someone else."

Edited by enfieldspares

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

....and Ukrainian children still keep getting slaughtered.... hmmmmmm???

Hello, yes it's very sad to see how many have died, let alone the ones still trapped under buildings and rubble, those that have survived with their families you can see the pain if you look behind the smily faces, the older children more so, 

what makes me sad and angry is..so many of these people only have their cat a little flat/home with their tele and a rug or 2 and a kitchen table and live in a community...then along comes a missile ....explodes/implodes...sucks all their windows and funiture out turning it to matchwood and turning everything chared and black

the community with their friends and family is all gone in a flash and a bang.........they have nothing....no money to re-build.....nothing...it is frightenly simply just soo sad

im sure they would think that death would be a kindness...rather than endure a void ...nothingness

makes me angry to see everything taken away from someone who has nothing in the first place

21 minutes ago, ditchman said:

what makes me sad and angry is..so many of these people only have their cat a little flat/home with their tele and a rug or 2 and a kitchen table and live in a community...then along comes a missile ....explodes/implodes...sucks all their windows and funiture out turning it to matchwood and turning everything chared and black

the community with their friends and family is all gone in a flash and a bang.........they have nothing....no money to re-build.....nothing...it is frightenly simply just soo sad

im sure they would think that death would be a kindness...rather than endure a void ...nothingness

makes me angry to see everything taken away from someone who has nothing in the first place

This is exactly how I feel . It's heartbreaking. 

26 minutes ago, ditchman said:

exactly the same thoughts of people in countries WE attacked especially when a BRITISH missile fried their children alive our double standards are pathetic! 

6 hours ago, simonm said:

I stopped supporting them when they decided to stop selling shooting equipment in this country a while ago

They still sell shooting equipment in the Belfast store.Decoys,nets,clothing and knives.

I recently bought a 240l waterproof storage bag from them.It is totally waterproof,has 4 handles and is great for keeping the car clean.I had 3 red hinds in it recently and not a drop of blood in the car.I was very impressed with the quality.

I was not aware of their owners politics but knew the company was very popular in France.

19 hours ago, Walker570 said:

....and Ukrainian children still keep getting slaughtered.... hmmmmmm???

Because of course Ukrainian conscripts will be following the Geneva convention to the letter?

21 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I read today in the Telegraph Business pages that the owner refuses not to withdraw his support for Putin and will continue to trade with Russia.

So some poor Russian lady, who remember didn't really have a democratic choice in electing Putin, working in a French-owned retail outlet, should lose her job and the means to feed herself? Whilst her son is unwillingly conscripted into an army to invade a country where he quite likely has friends and relatives?   Yea that seems right.

Targeted sanctions please, not virtue-signalling boycotts.

That said, Decathlon for most of us is easy to 'boycott', as they simply aren't a convenient option.  I once had a gander in the Oxford branch as I was passing. Selection was terrible* compared to the stores I'd been to in Germany and Hungary.

*Of everything, not just shooting gear

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/03/2022 at 12:13, Walker570 said:

I must admit I have never used the outlet because they are French owned but I know from comments on here that other members have.

yep and its becasue of them being french  that loads of shooters boycotted then from the off and they all but pulled the Solognac brand out of the UK following a bit of agro from the antis. i guess its just more palatable to get your eyes pulled out by a british firm importing from china and hiking up the price.

the decathalon gear is amazing value for the quality. all my wildfowling gear and pigeon gear is solognac and im yet to be let down by any of it. and if it does fail its all got a blanket 2 year warrenty. was apsolutly guttered when they ended the hunting line in the uk.

2 hours ago, Sweet11-87 said:

yep and its becasue of them being french  that loads of shooters boycotted then from the off and they all but pulled the Solognac brand out of the UK following a bit of agro from the antis. i guess its just more palatable to get your eyes pulled out by a british firm importing from china and hiking up the price.

the decathalon gear is amazing value for the quality. all my wildfowling gear and pigeon gear is solognac and im yet to be let down by any of it. and if it does fail its all got a blanket 2 year warrenty. was apsolutly guttered when they ended the hunting line in the uk.

This. 100%. Fortunately I'm resuming working back in France in April after a two year lay off because of covid closures.