can you "flock" non flocked shells

quentyn

On 21/03/2022 at 10:00, wymberley said:

Make decoys out of inside out LP sleeves (matt grey) using pattern in Shooting Times.

Buy plastic full bodied.

Buy plastic half shells.

Buy flocked half shells

Buy flocked full bodied.

Buy various electric gizmos.

or

Buy Flexicoys just the once.

The Flexicoys have certainly stood the test of time and as far as decoying go I would say the ones I have got were one of my best investments , apart from a few bits of shot that are laying on the rubber surface or rattle inside the decoy they still do what they were made for , they get chucked in the sack and at the start of a decoying session they get emptied out about 20 yds from the hide position and then get chucked in all different directions , where they land is where they get set up either on the ground or as the crop is growing they get set up on a cradle , you never have to worry about them shining in bright sunshine , the weight of 13 ( I once found one that someone forgot to collect ) is far heavier than flocked shells but having the time I will make two trips instead of one although I do try to drive to my hide position as close as possible , I haven't field tested a lot of the modern day decoys and there could well be some on the market as good or even better but if any of you come across some of the early flexicoys you won't go far wrong .

14 minutes ago, marsh man said:

The Flexicoys have certainly stood the test of time and as far as decoying go I would say the ones I have got were one of my best investments , apart from a few bits of shot that are laying on the rubber surface or rattle inside the decoy they still do what they were made for , they get chucked in the sack and at the start of a decoying session they get emptied out about 20 yds from the hide position and then get chucked in all different directions , where they land is where they get set up either on the ground or as the crop is growing they get set up on a cradle , you never have to worry about them shining in bright sunshine , the weight of 13 ( I once found one that someone forgot to collect ) is far heavier than flocked shells but having the time I will make two trips instead of one although I do try to drive to my hide position as close as possible , I haven't field tested a lot of the modern day decoys and there could well be some on the market as good or even better but if any of you come across some of the early flexicoys you won't go far wrong .

Just for the sake of it a few days ago, I googled 'Flexicoy' and went to the sites which gave a response. Now, obviously, it would not have thrown up everywhere, but the sum total of the stock holding from those sites was - just - 3.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Just for the sake of it a few days ago, I googled 'Flexicoy' and went to the sites which gave a response. Now, obviously, it would not have thrown up everywhere, but the sum total of the stock holding from those sites was - just - 3.

I have seen new ones at sporting auctions but I am not sure if they were made from the same place or makers than the early ones like mine . my ones can be rough handled and still have a smile on there faces , not sure if the newer ones can withstand the same treatment :good:

10 hours ago, marsh man said:

I have seen new ones at sporting auctions but I am not sure if they were made from the same place or makers than the early ones like mine . my ones can be rough handled and still have a smile on there faces , not sure if the newer ones can withstand the same treatment :good:

I'm sure there's a crime in there somewhere, whether it be abusing facsimile wood pigeons old or new.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I'm sure there's a crime in there somewhere, whether it be abusing facsimile wood pigeons old or new.

Morning T C .

Not sure what I could be charged with ? , or even if I am committing a crime when they get touched up once a year and then abused on some lonely fields well away from the public eye :hmm:

I am sure some of our wise members from the legal section will soon put us right :lol:

12 hours ago, marsh man said:

not sure if the newer ones can withstand the same treatment

I think your comment is justified. The early ones had a rectangle 'embossed' on the underside with the maker's details. I would imagine that this 'extra' cost a bit when the original mold(s) had to be replaced so was omitted. All else seemed as per. However the latest ones although cosmetically identical for all intents and purposes weigh spot on 80% of the previous version and do not appear to be quite so sturdy.

We reckon Father must have disturbed a poacher who legged it leaving a motley selection of decoys behind - one being an early Flexicoy. This one he put on a low hedge towards the end of the garden. Mother liked to trim this and would remove the decoy before starting and then replace it. After a few years it had formed its own 'nest'. Some 25 years later when I sold their house the Flexicoy was still pulling down pigeon from the couple of trees in the bank at the end of the garden.

• 5 months later...

Got to agree with the flexibly comments. Had mine for about 15yrs maybe more.  No need to be carefull, just throw them about. Look very good on the field & definately no shine. I've got flocked full body & shell but very rare I need them, bought for less weight/ storage space. Buy quality once, buy cheap many many times !