Wood lathe

stumpy69

My old man is 70 soon and mentioned the other day he was going to buy the lathe they had in Lidl but didn’t as his shed is not finished yet. So we are thinking to get him a semi-decent lathe for his birthday day and some tools for it.

I have no idea where to start unfortunately! What do you need to look for in a decent lathe and what tools are required… need to figure out if we can afford it!

Axminster do a good range but don't buy the buget range variable speed, mine went through 3 speed controllers I now have a record coronet price about £950 a very big step up, if funds are limited the axminster manual speed lathes are ok, look at a starter set of chisels to begin with again axminster is ok also look in wh Smith for woodturning magazine some good ideas in the magazine and tips 

2 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Second hand ones come up regularly on FB Marketplace around here so might get you better quality at a cheaper price. If you want new I second the quality of Lidl stuff and usually with a decent guarantee.

their guarantee works well...........totally no quibble..........3 years i think....if its broke or faulty...no messing ...money back or anther item end of

I wouldn't be without my old Clarke, got about 25 years on the clock and never missed a beat. can be picked up for next to no money on the 'bay. Adding a 3 jaw chuck and tail stock chuck doubled its capability. Having said that I looked at the Lidl one recently and thought it looked very good value, and decent quality, with the warranty mentioned above it would seem a no-brainer! 

Thinks for all the tips. Unfortunately the Lidl one was at the start of the month and seems to be sold out in all our local stores, it was a bargain at £59.99. They are available on ebay form people selling them on at £100 after buying them to make a profit. Whilst I done have a problem with people making a bit of profit these people buy the things they know will sell and they are gone for people who actually want to use them. Also as they are bought from ebay you do not get a Lidl receipt so doesn't come with the three year warrantee.

Have had a look at the Axminster lathes but by the time you have bought everything, chisels, chucks its fair adds up! Will keep an eye on marketplace, gumtree etc and see what comes up, got a couple of months. Only problem with that is living in Aberdeenshire everything ends up being the other end of the country and with the cost of fuel and a thirsty pick-up makes travelling more than an hour away unfeasible. 

On 21/03/2022 at 07:23, vmaxphil said:

Axminster do a good range but don't buy the buget range variable speed, mine went through 3 speed controllers I now have a record coronet price about £950 a very big step up, if funds are limited the axminster manual speed lathes are ok, look at a starter set of chisels to begin with again axminster is ok also look in wh Smith for woodturning magazine some good ideas in the magazine and tips 

I think I might have gone and done the exact opposite of what you said! An Axminster awvsl100 which is the older version of the AC370WL this linky came up on gumtee only a 1 1/2 hour drive away including the chuck package, tail stock chuck and crown cryogenic 5 piece set for a steal. It had barely been used, was owned by a carpenter who said his woodworking very quickly went away from turning.  I figured as its a variomatic drive he would be better at fixing it if it goes wrong, as a semi retired farmer he's pretty good with mechanical problems but not so good with electrics!

Just got to wait until the end of May now to see if he appreciates it. Will go and buy a copy of the magazine aw we are going away for the weekend of his birthday and the lathe is a bit big to take with us.

IMG_4758.jpg.49314aeae609b7ab4752070562f5b836.jpg  IMG_4759.jpg.8d6fa719931de9a66b77156adf68de58.jpg

On 21/03/2022 at 11:39, Sciurus said:

Might I also suggest he joins Woodturning Uk and Woodturning Uk Sales, swaps and Wanted on Facebook. It’s a very good forum for advice and inspiration for projects as well as sales etc

Thanks, I joined these groups whilst I was looking, very interesting, will get the old man to join when he has been gifted the lathe. Almost makes me want to keep the lathe for myself.

On 31/03/2022 at 16:53, sandspider said:

Go on then, what sort of price did you pay! (I fancy a lathe - not that I have the space, the time, the money or the skill... Other than that, I'd be really good at it!)

Only paid £400. There’s about £1200 worth of stuff when new so well pleased with that.